What's new

RT-AX58U prioritizing 2.4ghz; performance not as expected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jaybird14

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,
I recently picked up an RT-AX58U for my apartment but it doesn't seem to be working like I expected it to be. For context, my internet connection is 150/15 and I have not trouble achieving those speeds on my ISP-provided router/modem (on 5ghz, WiFi 5). I can also easily achieve these speeds on 5ghz with the AX58U.

However, the AX58U seems to be sending many of my clients to the 2.4ghz band, despite the fact that all but one of my devices is dual-band (and that one device is on a separate 2.4ghz only SSID) and two of my clients have support for WiFi 6. This is happening with Smart Connect both on (and optimized) and off. On the 2.4ghz band , speed tests seem to top out at around 70-80mbps, even on devices connected to AX. Is there a setting I'm missing, or is this just inherent to the hardware? I'm in a small place and I know I can get a 5ghz connection in my farthest-off area and that connection is stable and fast, so why does it want to prioritize 2.4ghz when even my ISP-provided router never does this?

I am on Merlin 386.2_4 if that matters

You have the same name SSIDs for both bands. Make different SSID names and connect your devices to the band you want. They won't move.
Duly noted. Why would internet speed/performance in the 2.4GHz be so much worse though?

Why would internet speed/performance in the 2.4GHz be so much worse though?

Because we have 11 channels only available with only 3 non-overlapping, the spectrum is overcrowded in most areas and your router is using 20MHz wide channel. 70-80Mbps is excellent for 2.4GHz in an apartment building. Most folks in large high-rise buildings may not see half of that. Since I don't know where you are - some countries allow channels 1-14 on 2.4GHz.

Last edited:
The AX58U is only a 2x2 router. Will not perform as well as some others. Dual Band SmartConnect should work, however. May take a while for your clients to settle into a band they are happy with. If you use the 160 Mhz on 5 GHZ with DFS channels you may discover some clients do not like the DFS channels and jump back to 2.4 GHZ.

The AX58U is only a 2x2 router. Will not perform as well as some others.

@bbunge, with all due respect... what? @jaybird14 has 150/15 ISP and he lives in an apartment building! Common 2x2 AC client can do >400Mbps @80MHz. What is AX58U not going to perform well with? SmartConnect he already tried and 160MHz will only make things worse. Why?

Because we have 11 channels only available with only 3 non-overlapping, the spectrum is overcrowded in most areas and your router is using 20MHz wide channel. 70-80Mbps is excellent for 2.4GHz in an apartment building. Most folks in large high-rise buildings may not see half of that. Since I don't know where you are - some countries allow channels 1-14 on 2.4GHz.
I am in a ground-floor suite in an urban duplex, so there are quite a few routers out there (I think I'm the only one in the area with AX though).

I am in a ground-floor suite in an urban duplex, so there are quite a few routers out there

Like in many apartment buildings. I own an apartment downtown and it's no different. 2.4GHz sometimes reaches 40Mbps, most of the time hovers around 20Mbps. 5GHz has no issues, it can do 300Mbps any time of the day. 5GHz networks around are many, but this band has limited range.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!