What's new

RT-AX58U QoS does not limit upload

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

naezith

New Around Here
My internet connection is cable 100/5. I was using RT-AC68U before with Merlin firmware with these settings:

Adaptive QoS, fq_codel
Cable(DOCSIS) 18 WAN packet overhead
Manual limit: 80 / 2.5

It was working pretty good.

---

Recently I `upgraded` to RT-AX58U. Installed Merlin, did the same settings. Download is being limited but upload is not being limited.

My ping in games is increasing like crazy when upload starts. I found some topics in forum about this but I couldn't find any solution yet. It's same on both WiFi and Ethernet.

I believe I've heard others mention this a while back. Was curious if it was still broken. I guess so...

Are you using the flex QoS script?

Sounds like you didn't enable scripts in jffs under administration.

So in the administration tab you need to go to system then hit format jffs set that to yes then set enable jffs scripts to yes then scroll down hit apply then reboot and install the script

Sounds like you didn't enable scripts in jffs under administration.

So in the administration tab you need to go to system then hit format jffs set that to yes then set enable jffs scripts to yes then scroll down hit apply then reboot and install the script
I just installed it. Rebooted, then applied QoS again. Download works fine but upload goes max speed. No limits...

I just installed it. Rebooted, then applied QoS again. Download works fine but upload goes max speed. No limits...
Are you running manual or automatic bandwidth also test sfq to see if that works better.

Are you running manual or automatic bandwidth also test sfq to see if that works better.
Yes manual was Upload 2.5, Download 80.
- sfq, Adaptive QoS didn't work
- Bandwidth Limiter worked when I marked my computer and limited 70 DL / 2 UL, both sfq and fq_codel
- Traditional QoS does not work with fq_codel, works with sfq
- Tried Adaptive QoS again, download and upload both are not being limited with sfq
- Adaptive QoS with fq_codel, download works, upload does not work
- Adaptive QoS Automatic Bandwidth, goes 50 DL and max UL
- Adaptive QoS sfq goes max speed both DL / UL, doesn't work
- Adaptive QoS, Manual Setting, 70 DL / 2 UL, codel setting, DL works, UL does not

Last edited:
I know there are currently issues with Adaptive QoS and the RT-AX58U. Not sure if/when that will be fixed by Asus however.

I know there are currently issues with Adaptive QoS and the RT-AX58U. Not sure if/when that will be fixed by Asus however.

Did you ever try the stock latest stock 3.0.0.4.384.9890 firmware to see if it works? It's newer than 384.19.
Just tried,

- Traditional QoS limits both
- Adaptive QoS does limit DL but not limit upload again...

Should I use Traditional QoS? But then I can't select `fq_codel` setting because there isn't a setting.

At my previous post, I wrote:

- Traditional QoS does not work with fq_codel, works with sfq

So I guess default is sfq. Is it fine to use this Traditional QoS with sfq?

Did you ever try the stock latest stock 3.0.0.4.384.9890 firmware to see if it works? It's newer than 384.19.

Or the latest RC2-7 beta firmware from Asus, which now supports the RT-AX58U.

Or the latest RC2-7 beta firmware from Asus, which now supports the RT-AX58U.
Just installed that, Adaptive QoS does absolutely nothing. Traditional QoS limits the speed but my game connection completely hangs.

Awful, how do they release without trying Adaptive QoS?!

On Merlin, I would only use fq_codel with Traditional QoS. With Adaptive QoS (stock or Merlin), it doesn't matter as much in my opinion.

None of those work for this garbage unfortunately... and seems like they will keep ignoring this.

@naezith after flashing the firmware you want to test/use, are you doing a full reset to factory defaults?

@naezith after flashing the firmware you want to test/use, are you doing a full reset to factory defaults?
No. I just change the QoS settings. I highly doubt that would make a difference.

Plugged back my RT-AC68U and having zero buffer bloat at Adaptive QoS fq_codel 80/4.5

Please type here if this thing ever gets solved on RT-AX58U, until that, this junk will be an AiMesh Node...

If you're not doing a reset flashing back and forth between different router firmware, you're not testing anything, correctly.

If you're not doing a reset flashing back and forth between different router firmware, you're not testing anything, correctly.
Okay I just did factory settings at 384.19, same results. DL works, UL does not.

At RC7, it doesn't work at all, not even DL. So yes, same results.