What's new

News RT-AX68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

...The ax86u is $50 dollars cheaper then the ax88u but by many accounts a better router with only minor differences. So why would it be crazy to think the ax68u should be $50 cheaper then the ax58u? It would be smart on Asus' part.
From what I remember the Asus 68 series of routers have been released in the $170 - $200 retail price range in the past. This could be marketed as an AX version in that same retail price range.

So why would it be crazy to think the ax68u should be $50 cheaper then the ax58u?

Because there would be absolutely zero reason for the RT-AX58U to even exist. Slower CPU, weaker wifi AND higher price.

$199 makes more and more sense now. $99...no way.

Because there would be absolutely zero reason for the RT-AX58U to even exist. Slower CPU, weaker wifi AND higher price.

The point is the pricing you listed. you conveniently omitted the important part from my statement.

If the ax86u sells for $50 cheaper then the ax88u, when it is considered the better router, why does the ax88u exist by your logic? why shouldn't the ax68u sell for $50 cheaper then the ax58u. Better cpu? I'll take tri core over the garbage dual core thats already in the ac86u that most people have to disable ai trend micro on so dcd doesn't constantly crash. Also by your same logic the ax82u also shouldn't exist since it has the same tri core processor and will cost $20 more then ax68u at its ridiculous price point.

You said there was a $50 dollar gap between the ax58u and ax82u, but failed to notice the same price gap between the ax86u and ax88u. You don't want to admit the pricing on these routers is absurd and I'm saying the same about your $200 suggestion for a dual core ax68u, the same processor already in the ac86u thats not that stable.

The point is these routers are so close in specs it doesn't make any sense. For some reason you choose the ax56u over the ax58u in your 2020 lineup post but I disagree. The ax58u not only performed better then the ac86u but on paper it has way better wireless range and speeds then the ax56u. Its even advertised as for very large homes when the ax82u is advertised for large homes. So you got it backwards, its the ax56u and ax82u that should not exist. The ax58u is the better router and can be had for the same price new at $150 very often. I got mine for less then $130 renewed.

$200 for the dual core ax68u? Asus and their undercover employees on these forums are crazy lol.

Maybe I should stop praising the ax58u on these forums because Asus might release a firmware update to gimp it some more to push their other overpriced routers.

Last edited:
If the ax86u sells for $50 cheaper then the ax88u, when it is considered the better router

It's not better in every aspects. The RT-AX88U has a second switch that adds four extra ports, and it also has a higher-end 2.4 GHz radio. These two components add more to the BOM cost than the 2.5 Gbps port.

You said there was a $50 dollar gap between the ax58u and ax82u, but failed to notice the same price gap between the ax86u and ax88u.

Convert that to a percentage. Price increases are not a linear thing. Look at CPU or GPU pricing for a good example on how this works.

You don't want to admit the pricing on these routers is absurd

You have a selective memory. I've said more than once that I felt the RT-AX88U was overpriced, and also that there was no reason for both the RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U to exist at their current price points, there should have been just a single product, and it should have been at the RT-AX56U price point. I don't decide these pricing, I am merely explaining to you how market segmentation works, and how you cannot sell a product for less than it costs you to manufacture it. You determine the cost of your BOM, you add a percentage on top of it, and that gives you where you target MSRP must be.

For some reason you choose the ax56u over the ax58u in your 2020 lineup post but I disagree.

I listed both models... And I actually used the RT-AX58U's price as the lower end reference point when explaining that there was a price gap there for the RT-AX68U to slot in.

It's not better in every aspects. The RT-AX88U has a second switch that adds four extra ports, and it also has a higher-end 2.4 GHz radio. These two components add more to the BOM cost than the 2.5 Gbps port.

and I wouldn't say the ax68u is better then the ax58u in every way since its a dual core router vs the same tri core in the more expensive ax82u? How do you feel about the pricing of the ax82u being $30 more then your suggested price of the ax68u? I'm curious to see how good the 2.4ghz range is on the ax68u. Again the ax58u in my home has better range then the ac86u.

Convert that to a percentage. Price increases are not a linear thing. Look at CPU or GPU pricing for a good example on how this works.

why didn't you? you listed the price gaps as justification and thats what i'm commenting on.

You have a selective memory. I've said more than once that I felt the RT-AX88U was overpriced, and also that there was no reason for both the RT-AX56U and RT-AX58U to exist at their current price points, there should have been just a single product, and it should have been at the RT-AX56U price point. I don't decide these pricing, I am merely explaining to you how market segmentation works, and how you cannot sell a product for less than it costs you to manufacture it. You determine the cost of your BOM, you add a percentage on top of it, and that gives you where you target MSRP must be.

thanks for admitting that, I didn't forget and I am simply bringing it up again in case YOU did. lol but again you chose and still seem to choose the ax56u over the much better performing ax58u. I don't understand why? The ax58u is the much better deal and can be had for the same price. Also don't forget the ax82u that you also said is redundant in previous threads, but now forgot and no longer mention, maybe since you need something to be priced just higher then the ax68u to justify your suggested $200 price for it?>

I listed both models... And I actually used the RT-AX58U's price as the lower end reference point when explaining that there was a price gap there for the RT-AX68U to slot in.
you totally omitted it from your "2020 lineup list" in another thread. I still find that odd since its not nearly as good as the ax58u. You only mentioned the ax58u as something that shouldn't exist, as you have been doing in posts on this thread, along with the ax82u that you now seem to justify being priced higher then your suggested price of the ax68u. Which is ridiculous and also odd.

The gap you were referring to is between the ax58u and the ax82u. I'm saying the ax68u should be priced lower then the ax58u, which should be priced at $150. so no more then $130 imo for the ax68u. $200 is outrageous. The ac66u_b1 and ac68u should come down to the same price as the more popular tp-link equivalents.

Last edited:
From what I remember the Asus 68 series of routers have been released in the $170 - $200 retail price range in the past. This could be marketed as an AX version in that same retail price range.

was before my time. I bought the ac66u_b1 for $100. the ac68u sold for over $140. actually i first bought the ac66u not realizing there was a b1 for the same price with a faster processor so I exchanged it after learning this when researching. and boy did I luck out not realizing its actually has the same performance for the most part as the $40 dollar more ac68u and can use the same firmware.

Its not so much about the price of these things on release unless comparing to other brands. Its the price of them in relation to their other models in their own lineup which make no sense. If we look back you are right in the sense that nothing has changed. I was just saavy enough to return the first router and lucked out on the second. I wasn't even looking at the ac68u for $40 more which my gut told me made no sense. Didn't even realize the ac66u_b1 was also a newer model.

IMO they need to start dropping prices before their competition does. They already killing them with the ac models on amazon. tp-link and netgear go out of stock on terrible models with horrific reviews cause the prices are great. The ax56u needs to be priced in between the ac66u_b1 and ac68u. the acc6u_b1 and ac68u should be priced the same as the netgear and tp-link equivalents. and the ax68u should be priced what the ac68u is now. and the ax58u should come down a bit to $150.

Asus needs to aslo remember these are covid times and no matter what the stock market says we are in a recession. I don't think they can afford to rely on people well off buying these things as a hobby.

IMO and like @Merlin agrees, they need to stop releasing so many models. Confuses the consumer and makes it look like a shady business practice. I can't tell if we just beta testers for them, which would also explain why they might put out low stock at first to see if the thing actually sells and reviews well, or if they just trying to hit every price point they can trying to maximize profits. Which imo is hurting quality.

I think its time you should just take a prozac and buy a different brand if Asus has butt hurt you so much cause you really are wining like a mule
I'm sure you intend that in the nicest way :)

Windows, only recently, allows it. It isn't 'incorporated' into how Windows functions.

Asuswrt is based on Tomato. But it's not running Linux, either.

2.4GHz performance at the end of 2020 isn't a criterion for 'blowing away' anything. WRT54G's blow away anything too at 54Mbps, max speeds (for range).

Many customers with RT-AC86U's tell me they've never had a more stable network, YMMV.

All cores are not created equal. Which cores, matter.

Agreed the RT-AX58U runs cooler. It is less router. ;)
Not sure why you keep saying they dont run on linux?
Just run uname

Linux RT-AX86U-D7D0 4.1.52 #2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 28 20:00:08 EST 2020 aarch64 ASUSWRT-Merlin

Last edited:
I think its time you should just take a prozac and buy a different brand if Asus has butt hurt you so much cause you really are wining like a mule

I think you meant whining because i'm certainly not winning on these forums lol. Its called constructive criticism, I speak as a consumer and its just business nothing personal against asus. IMO its in their best interest so i'm actually trying to help them. I''m constantly praising the ax58u, and also the ac66u_b1 I've owned for almost 3 years ,so it should be obvious I support them. To claim otherwise is Suspect.

I think you should take chill pill yourself. I don't do that but I just poured myself some coquito someone gave me to celebrate the holidays lol. ;) :cool:

Linux-based and 'running' Linux are two very different things.

A Tesla and a Model T Ford are both cars. But they're not interchangeable. :)

Linux-based and 'running' Linux are two very different things.

A Tesla and a Model T Ford are both cars. But they're not interchangeable. :)

If they both used the same engine, in this case the linux kernel, then that would be. how bout the tires? I'm sure there are many similar parts, based on the same core tech, even with your flawed analogy of an electric car vs a gas guzzler lol.

But I specifically used the words "based on" and when I say "run linux" i mean the kernel, the core of the operating system that controls the cpu. I wasn't actually referring to a linux distro that runs on desktops.

But forget Linux for a second. Pretty sure every operating system picks and chooses what processes run on what cpu core because that is the most efficient way of running the process. Not the application or process itself. So I don't know why you would of thought Asus was programming certain processes to only use certain cores. It makes no sense, that would be a bad idea. In heat spread and efficiency in general.

Without going full Stallman-retard here, there is a distinction between running a Linux kernel, and running a Linux distro. Asuswrt uses a Linux kernel. The rest around it is a mixture of GNU and proprietary code, so it can't be really considered a Linux distro. So it's Asuswrt, running on top of a Linux kernel if we want to be pedantic about it.

Oh look, another armchair engineer.....

Merlin just confirmed what I already thought to be common sense and assumed. Its already been engineered and I didn't think it needed an explanation and distinction. But I'm glad he chimed in on the subject since his opinion is respected on the forums. I think L&LD already knew this too, but Its his job to push the newest models saying whatever is necessary.

Long story short, the ax58u outperforms the ac86u, destroys the ac56u, and all the other ax routers, all of which cost almost double or more, are severely overpriced and offer no more benefit for the average user. If the ax68u with that processor is going to cost almost just as much, its as Merlin has previously said, Asus is simply throwing routers against the wall to see what sticks the google way. Which I take to mean what marketing works for people to bite selling a bunch of hardware thats not much different from each other with pricing that doesn't even make sense half the time. But as L&LD has said Asus marketing team is out to lunch, and I agree.

People can say the processor doesn't matter but cpu and ram is the first thing the avg user is going to look at besides wireless speeds when comparing. The mimo streams is what the hobbyists will be looking at. WHich as Thiggins says its pretty meaningless and offers no benefit. He already said he's not even going to test ax mu-mimo in the future.

Merlin just confirmed what I already thought to be common sense and assumed. Its already been engineered and I didn't think it needed an explanation and distinction. But I'm glad he chimed in on the subject since his opinion is respected on the forums. I think L&LD already knew this too, but Its his job to push the newest models saying whatever is necessary.

Long story short, the ax58u outperforms the ac86u, destroys the ac56u, and all the other ax routers, all of which cost almost double or more, are severely overpriced and offer no more benefit for the average user. If the ax68u with that processor is going to cost almost just as much, its as Merlin has previously said, Asus is simply throwing routers against the wall to see what sticks the google way. Which I take to mean what marketing works for people to bite selling a bunch of hardware thats not much different from each other with pricing that doesn't even make sense half the time. But as L&LD has said Asus marketing team is out to lunch, and I agree.

People can say the processor doesn't matter but cpu and ram is the first thing the avg user is going to look at besides wireless speeds when comparing. The mimo streams is what the hobbyists will be looking at. WHich as Thiggins says its pretty meaningless and offers no benefit. He already said he's not even going to test ax mu-mimo in the future.
I looks like Asus is being a good marketing company, in addition to being a good technical company. We probably all agree that creating many derivative products is a smart strategy on their part to leverage common R&D costs among many products. Some consumers like their routers laying down, some like their routers standing up tall, some like external antennae while others find external antennae very unattractive if not to mention downright unappealing. Adding spiffy touches like multi-colour LEDs is also a way forward appeasing the gamer in all of us.

I looks like Asus is being a good marketing company, in addition to being a good technical company. We probably all agree that creating many derivative products is a smart strategy on their part to leverage common R&D costs among many products. Some consumers like their routers laying down, some like their routers standing up tall, some like external antennae while others find external antennae very unattractive if not to mention downright unappealing. Adding spiffy touches like multi-colour LEDs is also a way forward appeasing the gamer in all of us.

Aren't you the one who brought up the fact you didn't like the idea of them selling 3 routers with the same hardware but simply feature limited by the software? I also think thats wrong. I'm not sure if their marketing is successful or not, only they would know. Just going by amazon reviews netgear and tp-link seem to sell way more routers. Even though I find them to be inferior products compared to asus, even though the reviews are worse. Talking 1000's compared to 100's.

But Like I said I think Asus is more confusing to the consumer and comes off less trustworthy releasing so many different models. To further touch on your examples, most of the routers I have used can be either stood up, or laid down. Depending on your personal choosing. ac66u_b1 and ax58u for example. Selling them as two different routers with the only difference being two different orientation options turns me off as a consumer, comes off greedy, and I would find it insulting to my intelligence.

One of the main selling points for asus routers is @Merlin firmware and the frequent updates of their stock firmware for stability and security. But releasing so many different models is making that reputation hard to live up to.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!