What's new

RT-AX82U or RT-AX86S

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You need to buy from another market then (if possible, and with online stores, it should be).

You need to buy from another market then (if possible, and with online stores, it should be).
I wrote a letter to the Asus representative office asking if they affect the return policy during the warranty period. I hope to get an answer on Monday.

If you published it a little earlier,

One only SNB Forums member actively advertises AX68U routers and is backing up his own opinion with phony "customer" stories. You perhaps got served a link that rotates here for ages*. You can find the same link in 100+ threads. If you prefer Asus routers, don't go any lower than AX86S. Good luck!

* - I have forum QoS applied (ignore list) and don't see those anymore for cleaner SNB Forums experience.

Если вы предпочитаете маршрутизаторы Asus, не опускайте их ниже AX86S.
What's interesting to me,is that they have a lot in common (AX68U and AX86S). Only 68U has a chip on 5G BCM6710, and 86S BCM43684. Otherwise, it's almost the same device. It's only not clear why in the review I watched, the AX86S was worse with stability and speed at a distance with obstacles?
Anyway, after testing the AX86S, I'll describe my impressions. Thanks

Only 68U has a chip on 5G BCM6710, and 86S BCM43684.

BCM43684 is used in many successful models. BCM6710 as 5GHz radio is used in one only not very successful model. When you get AX86S try it on lower 36-48 channels first, then on higher 149-161 channels (if available in your country). It works better on higher channels. The same applies for AX86U.

BCM43684 is used in many successful models. BCM6710 as 5GHz radio is used in one only not very successful model. When you get AX86S try it on lower 36-48 channels first, then on higher 149-161 channels (if available in your country). It works better on higher channels. The same applies for AX86U.
Ok,I'll try.I've never exhibited the channel manually, only auto...

Last edited:
As I said, there a better Wi-Fi coverage routers from other manugacturers. With Asus 86-series you get more frequent security updates*, Asuswrt-Merlin firmware support and a router with no reported hardware issues so far. It's a good price to features ratio home router.

* - I didn't say firmware updates because there are broken features in Asuswrt, but Asus is mostly focused on what sells more routers - AiMesh.

I looked at the cost of the AX86U again. The difference compared to the AX86S is $40. Maybe I should stop buying AX86S in favor of the AX86U?

Last edited:
The main purpose of the purchase is to create a stable network (by cable), the main router, whether AX86S or AX86U, paired with RT-AX55.

The RT-AX86s on the other hand is a poor choice today for a main router. The RT-AX86U is the far better choice for a few more dollars.

For me the AX86s is ~150€, AX86u is ~250€... A lot of money for almost identical hardware...

And for your situation, it may well be the better choice. But 'almost identical hardware' isn't close enough, for me.

But even ~100€ more (are those prices both on sale?) is worth it for me for the main router that is meant to be kept for as long as possible while keeping my network fast, secure and reliable.

An even better (but of course, more expensive) option today is the much better-balanced GT-AX6000 model.

A router purchase isn't something most people do a few times a year, more like a few times a decade, and with that perspective, spending a little extra for a better-balanced platform is the less expensive option usually. And yes, the RT-AX86U is a much better-balanced (hardware) router than the RT-AX86s.

i see nothing wrong with 86S. Same Radio performance as 86U with a weaker 4906 opposed to a 4908.. which most people won't even saturate.

The only worthwhile upgrade is the 2.5G port. (gig+ ISP and file transfer) my2c.

There is nothing wrong with the RT-AX86s. However, for the few dollars extra (a couple of cups of coffee and donuts) to get the superior RT-AX86U with double the RAM, double the cores, and the better 4908, it makes it less of a bargain and more of a compromise, long term.

There is nothing wrong with the RT-AX86s. However, for the few dollars extra (a couple of cups of coffee and donuts) to get the superior RT-AX86U with double the RAM, double the cores, and the better 4908, it makes it less of a bargain and more of a compromise, long term.
In the US, the current price difference is $60-100 -- and it seems like 86U never goes on sale.

Really depends on price diff. $80+ is enough for me to take the 86S over the 86U in most scenarios.

$40~? Well thats more competitive.. the 2.5G port alone may be worth it long term. My2c.

In the US, the current price difference is $60-100 -- and it seems like 86U never goes on sale.

This.

86S makes more sense in US unless theres a massive sale.. Especially if Gen 2 BCM4912 + 6715 hardware gets cheaper over time.

You'll want the more updated model in 2-3 years since the 4912/4916 CPU platform should be updated well into WIFI7 designs.

4906(dual) 4908 (quad) = designed with AC W2 > Used with Gen 1 AX HW.
4912/4916 (both quad) = designed with Gen 2 AX > Will be used with Gen 1 WIFI7 HW.

Last edited by a moderator:
If my goal is to have quality 2.5GbE capable network, I'm definitely not going with any of the ToysRUs routers. This single 2.5GbE port on AX86U is mostly useless for an average home user. The CPU is capable of 350-400Mbps only without NAT acceleration hacks. A simple Bandwidth Limiter on the Guest Network and this router is done. I had them both AX86U and AX86S side by side on my desk. Most users won't notice any difference. The routing performance is the same, the VPN performance is the same (most users have one or none connections active), Wi-Fi is under Gigabit to common 2-stream AX client with 80MHz wide channel support. The AX86U advantages are mostly theoretical or you may need one for very specific use cases.

To me, just the extra RAM the RT-AX86U is worth it (at almost any price difference).

Like with all soldered computers, same as with routers; it's best to not buy the base option.

Excluding most members of the forums here, most people won't buy another router again unless they have to. With the RT-AX86s, they'll have to much sooner than not.

Как я уже сказал, есть лучшие маршрутизаторы покрытия Wi-Fi от других манугураторов.
Good day. Could you tell me which routers, in your opinion, are more acceptable in terms of Wi-Fi coverage? If possible, please specify a specific model.
Thanks

No idea what works better in your country. Check your local forums for more useable feedback.