What's new

RT-AX82U or RT-AX86S

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That is why I wanted to hear exactly your point of view, which is supported by personal observations.

This is region and Wi-Fi environment specific. From about 30 different make and model routers I had in my collection about 6 months ago the best for range AC-Class router was Netgear R7800, the best for range AX-class was Asus RT-AX88U. This information has little value to you though.

If my goal is to have quality 2.5GbE capable network, I'm definitely not going with any of the ToysRUs routers. This single 2.5GbE port on AX86U is mostly useless for an average home user. The CPU is capable of 350-400Mbps only without NAT acceleration hacks. A simple Bandwidth Limiter on the Guest Network and this router is done. I had them both AX86U and AX86S side by side on my desk. Most users won't notice any difference. The routing performance is the same, the VPN performance is the same (most users have one or none connections active), Wi-Fi is under Gigabit to common 2-stream AX client with 80MHz wide channel support. The AX86U advantages are mostly theoretical or you may need one for very specific use cases.
What would be a "non-toysRUs" router for a 2.5GbE capable network?
I was looking at the ax86u as APs with aimesh because of the 2.5 GbE port (my main node is a GT-AX11000) but I'm curious about what you'd recommend or which other brand to look at instead of sticking with asus.

What would be a "non-toysRUs" router for a 2.5GbE capable network?

A router/firewall with x86 CPU, multiple 2.5GbE ports and enough processing power to manage 2.5GbE traffic. I have recently upgraded 3x business networks to 2.5GbE LAN and 10GbE server links using Netgate appliances, but for home use a box like this is much cheaper option*:

Nothing from home All-In-One routers is actually 2.5GbE capable. All models including high-end rely heavily on NAT acceleration techniques. If you hit the "wrong" firmware option they can't do even 500Mbps WAN-LAN throughput. Like Bandwidth Limiter on your Guest Network as an example.

* - you'll also eventually need 2.5GbE switch and VLAN capable Access Points.

For home use good price/performance are TP-Link Omada and Ubiquiti UniFi series. Many to choose from - ceiling, wall plate, outdoor. Most business APs support VLAN and the prices start from under $100 and go up in thousands per unit depending on capabilities.