What's new

Release RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_45898 (2021-10-07)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ameenhuus

Occasional Visitor
ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.45898
1.Fixed AiMesh web page multi-language issues.
2.Fixed Stored XSS vulnerability.
3.Fixed CVE-2021-41435, CVE-2021-41436.
Thanks to Efstratios Chatzoglou, University of the Aegean
Georgios Kambourakis, European Commission at the European Joint Research Centre
Constantinos Kolias, University of Idaho.
4.Fixed Stack overflow vulnerability. Thanks to Jixing Wang (@chamd5) contribution.
5.Fixed information disclosure vulnerability .Thanks to CataLpa from DBappSecurity Co.,Ltd Hatlab and 360 Alpha Lab contribution.

RT-AX86U|WiFi Routers|ASUS United Kingdom

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: c6ee699c1f62bc8d6925d55abbc365d2

Last edited:
Enabling QOS still throttles LAN to LAN throughput with this FW on the AX86U. Transferring files from my wireless connected laptop to my Ethernet connected NAS drops from 110MBs to around 60MBs when I enable QOS(Traditional, BW Limiter or GeForce Now).

Is that after a full reset to factory defaults and without using a saved backup config file?

What are the ISP speeds that you need QoS enabled? Do you get any real-world boost to your network with it on?

Just updated, works great, less log spam I think (at log level 5).
To be honest, all the recent firmware's were the same for me in terms of functionality.... I am just the average user... separate SSIDs for the bands and no smart connect....
On a Gigabit cable connection, love the speed, do I need it? Never :)

Screenshot 2021-10-07 104928.jpg

Is that after a full reset to factory defaults and without using a saved backup config file?

What are the ISP speeds that you need QoS enabled? Do you get any real-world boost to your network with it on?
Yes, full reset configure from scratch. My ISP is on UL 5Mbs, DL 50Mbs. QOS does help with buffer-bloat.

I am still having 2.4 random disconnect with this.

Ever since the august firmware I have had issues. Rolled back to June release and everything is rock solid.

I don't understand why my 2.4ghz and only that frequency ends up dropping and devices can't reconnect to it.

I have tried factory reset already at least initialize from the firmware.

I did the factory reset with WPS/ power button tonight and reflashed the October firmware. Waiting to see if any difference compared to factory reset from the firmware page. If I still get 2.4ghz drops I really have no idea what is causing it.

Updated yesterday and did a reboot. All works awesome! I'm about 25 feet away on my New Acer Chromebook 713 and pulling 736 down and 33 up. Right at 1000 down and 35 up on the routers internal test.

Just updated, works great, less log spam I think (at log level 5).
To be honest, all the recent firmware's were the same for me in terms of functionality.... I am just the average user... separate SSIDs for the bands and no smart connect....
On a Gigabit cable connection, love the speed, do I need it? Never :)

View attachment 36654
I hear you clucking big chicken! lol. I've pulled 1.2-1.3 at times on the internal router test..POWER!!!!!

Ever since the august firmware I have had issues. Rolled back to June release and everything is rock solid.

I don't understand why my 2.4ghz and only that frequency ends up dropping and devices can't reconnect to it.

I did the factory reset with WPS/ power button tonight and reflashed the October firmware. Waiting to see if any difference compared to factory reset from the firmware page. If I still get 2.4ghz drops I really have no idea what is causing it.

Did you do the reset to factory defaults (WPS/power button restart) before or after the flash to the new firmware version? You'll get the best results by doing the reset to factory defaults after you do the flash, and then reconfigure manually to get the cleanest start after a flash.

I am still having issues with this firmware. I still don't know why my 2.4ghz just stops working. The past 2 firmware releases has been like this for me. I can only run rock stable on the june release firmware. I did factory reset ( hard method ) but made no difference for me.

3.0.0.4.386.45375 and 3.0.0.4.386.45898 both seems to be giving me issues on 2.4ghz. 5.0ghz runs fine though.

I am still having issues with this firmware. I still don't know why my 2.4ghz just stops working. The past 2 firmware releases has been like this for me. I can only run rock stable on the june release firmware. I did factory reset ( hard method ) but made no difference for me.

3.0.0.4.386.45375 and 3.0.0.4.386.45898 both seems to be giving me issues on 2.4ghz. 5.0ghz runs fine though.

Update to latest and then do a system reset. Still same problem?

Screenshot your settings for 2.4g.

It is pure vanilla.

I have zero customizations and kept it this way for testing. Pure out of box factory reset settings, didn't change a single thing on 2.4

It might be good to try changing a few things. Its not unreasonable to think that the factory router wifi settings will provide best compatibility, but its not always the case. The disconnects may not be the fault of the router, and changing a router setting may improve compatibility with a problematic user device.

Last edited:

Me too. Though whether its only 2.4Ghz is not clear to me. Going back to the June firmware seems to have solved the issues I was having with random disconnects for now.

And I did try setting different channels to no effect. Mine is currently set to auto with the older firmware.

Continues to look great here! No disconnects, great coverage and speed. Up 100%. On the other hand, I have very few IoT devices, and those that I do have are apparently well-behaved.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!