What's new

RT-AX86U Hard Factory Reset not fully working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
Hard Factory Reset, AKA WPS reset, as documented in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/ Method 2 sometimes does not fully reset the router and clear all old data. This has been observed before when resetting Merlin firmware as well as Asus factory firmware.
I experienced this problem today on Asus Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_45934.
I was able to clear all data with the Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting - Factory default with the Initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History checked.

Fully Reset Router and Network

The further away the customer is, the more times I reset in as many different ways as possible. And the less chance I need to go back to that far-away customer.

Even, (and particularly), with brand new routers too).

After doing a second full reset a couple of days ago (through the GUI), the router rebooted on its own with internet at the same time. Could this be a firmware related bug to drivers?

I am seeing some of these messages below

kernel: httpd (1541): drop_caches: 1

Last edited:
After doing a second full reset a couple of days ago (through the GUI), the router rebooted on its own with internet at the same time. Could this be a firmware related bug to drivers?

I am seeing some of these messages below

kernel: httpd (1541): drop_caches: 1

I have only used the webUI Restore w/Initialize to reset... I have not inspected for results. When commissioning my new AX86U, it rebooted on its own several times. But has been solid while running.

OE

I have only used the webUI Restore w/Initialize to reset... I have not inspected for results. When commissioning my new AX86U, it rebooted on its own several times. But has been solid while running.

OE
So yours is doing it too?...sounds like firmware bug (yes, otherwise it's been solid wifi signal etc)

I'm going to load June firmware and reset router and go from there. I'll miss some patches, but it's annoying that it rebooted on it's own (shouldnt be the case)

I'm going to load June firmware and reset router and go from there. I'll miss some patches, but it's annoying that it rebooted on it's own (shouldnt be the case)

I tend to feel the same way about such things... but on this one, I feel different then you. Although the reboots during setup were unsettling (off-putting), daily operation has been solid. I check in on the webUI from time to time to see how things are going and every thing has been humming along just fine. So, I can accept some setup anomalies and hold tight for the next release knowing that the router appears to be solid during normal operation.

OE

Actually this happened not after setup, but 7 days after my last reset full re-config. I loaded the June firmware and the cores crashed only 10 minutes after reboot . So for now, im actually back on Merlin 386.3_2 and will see how things go.

Is yours AX or AC86?
Discussion is about AX86.
Your sig says AC86.
It was about the AX86U...I just sent it back this morning, and back up with my AC86U. Two factory resets with latest firmware (cabling is all good) couldnt solve this issue. Since these are scarce, i wasnt taking a chance on a waiting for replacement from vendor or Asus.

What is the Reset button experience?
Reset button works fine for me. Just hold the button for 10 seconds or so, the power light will be blinking, then let go. Never had a problem with this, other than a broken reset button on one router not doing a reset at all. Otherwise, works well.

Well...I just found out my local MicroCenter has the AX86U in stock for $229 $30 less than the AX86S they are selling..Pondering giving the AX86U a second chance..What bothers me is it doesnt have FCC certification, unlike my AC86U which has been humming along since i returned the AX86U.

That's a great price for the RT-AX86U (non-teen 'gaming red' version).

At (even) at $30 less, the RT-AX86S isn't worth considering (from what I've read about them).

That's a great price for the RT-AX86U (non-teen 'gaming red' version).

At (even) at $30 less, the RT-AX86S isn't worth considering (from what I've read about them).
Yes i know. I'd go for the AX86U again, but man, those issues i had with the 1st one left a sour taste in my mouth. I plugged my AC86U back in and havent missed a beat :)

Cost/shortage.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!