What's new

RT-AX86U help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hal1000

New Around Here
Thanks for any help, I'm new around here and confused by a very specific issue.
I have the RT-AX86U running 386.7_2 Merlin FW, the issue is, some devices drop the wifi connection sometimes and all at the same time, whilst some others devices don't.
The details, so I have about 8 wifi connected devices and some even though they are in range - just disconnect and then all the ones that do disconnect (all at once), can no longer see the network, even though the other wireless devices can. All the hardwired LAN connected devices always work just fine all the time.

There seems to be some issue with the 2.4ghz WIFI, as 5ghz stuff seems to be fine. I know enough to have done some testing, all firewalls off etc, the weird thing is, sometimes after a few wall socket on and off's the box will all of a sudden, with no settings changed, just come back as if nothing happened. All the devices go, oh look that wifi connection appears back on the list and connect back to the box, like nothing happened.

So I set up a 2.4 ghz guest account - no protection, no fancy stuff etc, but none of my devices see it, when it's acting in this strange mode, but then sometimes it all just comes back to life, like nothing's happened, without touching anything.

Thanks for any Ideas.

If this kind of thing has already been seen and solved, please send link, if this needs to be moved to another place on this forum, then sorry for not behaving correctly.

Whenever you encounter a problem the first thing to do is look at System Log > General Log to see if there are any messages at the time the problem occurred.

try to look at this post

and

I attached a log, whilst it was having the issue. I can fix PC's but I'm no network engineer, so if anyone can scan it and say - oh yeah - here's the problem / solution, then THANK YOU :)
At least I think I attached a file, I can't see it when I refresh this page, so if you can't see it, then let me know and I will put it on a URL link.

Ok let's try the log again (user error).
I'm not sure why the file ain't attaching so here is a link to the syslog
https://bit.ly/3AqABYM
It's not a virus etc, I promise you.
So what time did the problem occur? So that we don't waste time chasing unrelated log events that were caused by you changing settings in the GUI.

So what time did the problem occur? So that we don't waste time chasing unrelated log events that were caused by you changing settings in the
Well I did a power off at the wall, this log should be from that time I think, so the log file should only be for like 5 or 10 minutes worth of time. Unless, log files carry over from boot to boot?. Also I changed no settings during this log, if logs don't carry logs from previous boots.

Yes they do.
Oh ok well - I had no idea, so the issue was still there at the last boot, so maybe something obvious might jump out at someone, it's happened on previous F/W's as well. I will factory reset the thing if I have to, I like merlin for all the extra options, but I did revert back to stock at one point, but I then went back to merlin, but I think I still had the same issue on stock. If you jump to the end of the log, then maybe something obvious jumps out. THANK YOU, cool community.

Last edited:
After much messing about, it required just 2 things, turning off smart connect and forcing 20 MHZ in general wireless settings. THANKS for the help anyway guys :)

Wanted to add for anybody else who has these kind of issues, that after more than a week of testing, no issues what so ever have been found, all wifi connections, have stayed solid as a rock.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!