What's new

RT-AX86U Pro Astrill VPN applet issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rishiphoton

New Around Here
I tried to install Astrill VPN applet on my new Asus RT-AX86U PRO via putty i got this message

Fetching files... done.
Installing Astrill VPN binary... FAILED
WARNING: Default OpenVPN binary will be used. Stealth Mode is not available.
/bin/sh: eval: line 1: /dev/astrill/openvpn: not found
Astrill router applet 2.9.39 installed successfully !
Astrill is installed under menu 'Astrill VPN' on the left
If you don't see 'Astrill VPN' menu on the left, please hit CTRL+F5 or clear browser cache.

i don't have much knowledge on router, Still my RT-AC88U have no issues with my astrill VPN applet

Thanks

I tried to install Astrill VPN applet on my new Asus RT-AX86U PRO via putty i got this message

Fetching files... done.
Installing Astrill VPN binary... FAILED
WARNING: Default OpenVPN binary will be used. Stealth Mode is not available.
/bin/sh: eval: line 1: /dev/astrill/openvpn: not found
Astrill router applet 2.9.39 installed successfully !

The Astrill Router VPN Applet is pretty old technology. I used it for many years.

Your AX86U PRO is one of the new 2022/23 routers - perhaps it’s no longer supported. (The way the applet works is a bit of a kludge - to use old terminology)

Your AC88U is a dinosaur - that’s why the applet still works.

The only thing you’re missing out on is Stealth Mode which is useful in countries where standard VPNs are blocked.

Also, Stealth Mode can help you get around ISP VPN throttling.

To be honest, I think you should start looking for a new VPN provider. The Astrill prices are crazy these days - and their technology out of date.

The Astrill Router VPN Applet is pretty old technology. I used it for many years.

Your AX86U PRO is one of the new 2022/23 routers - perhaps it’s no longer supported. (The way the applet works is a bit of a kludge - to use old terminology)

The only thing you’re missing out on is Stealth Mode which is useful in countries where standard VPNs are blocked.

Also, Stealth Mode can help you get around ISP VPN throttling.

To be honest, I think you should start looking for a new VPN provider. The Astrill prices are crazy these days - and their technology out of date.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. To switch between servers, the Astrill applet will be useful. Other VPN providers are not reliable in China.

Astrill is well-known in China. The company recently changed ownership. New Chinese owners?

You might want to take a look at TorGuard’s latest offering which works well in China.

v2ray / xray protocol - amongst others.

Astrill is well-known in China. The company recently changed ownership. New Chinese owners?

You might want to take a look at TorGuard’s latest offering which works well in China.

v2ray / xray protocol - amongst others.
will try definitely, thanks !

Need a bit more info than that.

Their support is good, open a ticket with them.

If you actually bought their new Premium plan for v2ray / x2ray protocol, it can be used under Merlin - but the setup is not easy.

If you can read simplified Chinese, that will be a huge bonus.

Last edited:
No luck with Astrill as of now.
I'm looking for instructions on how to install openwrt on my old ac1200gu... I'm getting too old for this. I'm sure I could get a router with openwrt pre-installed on Taobao, but I don't enough about this sort of thing to know whether I could trust such a router. I really only needed it for my appletv that I haven't used in years, I suppose my HDMI cable isn't so bad. lol.

Just to chime in here. Its currently working on my AX88U. So its probably another issue to which sadly I've got no clue.

If you actually bought their new Premium plan for v2ray / x2ray protocol, it can be used under Merlin - but the setup is not easy.

If you can read simplified Chinese, that will be a huge bonus.

So torguard can be setup with Asus merlin? Or do we have to use the unspeakable clash fork?

The AX88U is also an old router, so time for Astrill VPN applet users to start looking around.

I no longer use Astrill, otherwise I would test it on the AX6000.

Yes, if you want to use the x2ray / v2ray protocol, I believe you need to use “that” fork. But if you live in “that” country, it shouldn’t be a problem for you.

I'm looking for instructions on how to install openwrt on my old ac1200gu... I'm getting too old for this. I'm sure I could get a router with openwrt pre-installed on Taobao, but I don't enough about this sort of thing to know whether I could trust such a router. I really only needed it for my appletv that I haven't used in years, I suppose my HDMI cable isn't so bad. lol.
You can buy an OpenWRT router from TorGuard with everything installed and setup. Some offers are giving them away for free.

Same router, same vpn, same issue. Have you found a solution, or a better VPN that works on this router?
Just to be clear for everyone else.

it’s the issue with the Astrill VPN applet that is the problem. Not with Astrill itself.

The AX88U is also an old router, so time for Astrill VPN applet users to start looking around.

I no longer use Astrill, otherwise I would test it on the AX6000.

Yes, if you want to use the x2ray / v2ray protocol, I believe you need to use “that” fork. But if you live in “that” country, it shouldn’t be a problem for you.

Yeah, it is an old router now, still pricey though. Bought the limited edition refurbished half a year ago for USD175 and still thought it was expensive somehow.

You can buy an OpenWRT router from TorGuard with everything installed and setup. Some offers are giving them away for free.
Do they ship internationally with the free router?

Just to be clear for everyone else.

it’s the issue with the Astrill VPN applet that is the problem. Not with Astrill itself.
I agree, astrill applet does have it bugs. It works 90+% of the time for me but for the price I'm paying, I'm expecting better.

Do they ship internationally? It depends on where you are. US export restrictions will apply.

I agree about the price. Prices have exploded at Astrill.

The applet allowed me to have local internet on one SSID, and a VPN tunnel on the other. This was almost 10 years ago - a big deal then.

Now I just use stock firmware and have one WireGuard tunnel per SSID. Works great!

Do they ship internationally? It depends on where you are. US export restrictions will apply.

I agree about the price. Prices have exploded at Astrill.

The applet allowed me to have local internet on one SSID, and a VPN tunnel on the other. This was almost 10 years ago - a big deal then.

Now I just use stock firmware and have one WireGuard tunnel per SSID. Works great!

Yeah, I spoke with Torguard, they do ship internationally but can't guarantee delivery because of possible import issues.

Wireguard doesn't work on its own in China right?

Try it and see. Torguard‘s WireGuard implementation is very good.

WireGuard works differently to OpenVPN, it‘s more about the key / encryption - rather than the connection. Maybe the China firewall focuses more on blocking the connection. Can’t say - I don‘t go there anymore.

Had to register just quickly to say... there is a simple fix. It's nothing to do with it being outdated. Jump on astril live chat, tell them the router and then they know the issue right away. They took my email address and pushed some changes for my router. I re-installed the applet via putty and it's straight on. Just tell astril so they can flag your account for that router. Hope this helps @rishiphoton !

Had to register just quickly to say... there is a simple fix. It's nothing to do with it being outdated. Jump on astril live chat, tell them the router and then they know the issue right away. They took my email address and pushed some changes for my router. I re-installed the applet via putty and it's straight on. Just tell astril so they can flag your account for that router. Hope this helps @rishiphoton !
Thanks for letting me know, I will talk to customer support to resolve my issue with astrill vpn applet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!