What's new

RT-AX86U Pro firmware - will it get 3.0.0.6?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's somewhat of an hybrid.

The AiMesh page is s good example:

1705876499930.png

Attachments

• 1705876461029.png
    1705876461029.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 36
What's actually more interesting - ExpertWiFi EBR63 looks like RT-AX58U V2 hardware and runs on 3.0.0.6 firmware. 🤫

No news regarding the release date for 3.0.0.6 firmware on RT-AX86U Pro? It passed more than a year from the beta release....

Correct. No news.

Interesting that ASUS only listed these two routers. Presumably its because these are the only two routers where 3.0.0.6 out of beta.
There are other Asus routers currently using release 3.0.0.6.x firmware (aka WRT5.0). From another discussion, the following routers in addition to the GT-AX6000 and RT-AX88U Pro are on release 3.0.0.6.x firmware:
ASUS ZenWiFi BQ16
ASUS ZenWiFi BQ16 PRO
ROG Rapture GT-BE25000
ASUS RT-BE96U
ASUS GT-BE98
ASUS RT-BE98 PRO

There are other Asus routers currently using release 3.0.0.6.x firmware (aka WRT5.0). From another discussion, the following routers in addition to the GT-AX6000 and RT-AX88U Pro are on release 3.0.0.6.x firmware:
ASUS ZenWiFi BQ16
ASUS ZenWiFi BQ16 PRO
ROG Rapture GT-BE25000
ASUS RT-BE96U
ASUS GT-BE98
ASUS RT-BE98 PRO

ASUS really needs to work on having consistent information.

Hows the stability on AX86U pro on latest firmware ? I tried upgrading 1.5 yrs ago from my AC86U and experienced a tons of issues with 3 diff brand new units.

Even on sale, still not worth considering (in the least).

Amazon has the ax86u pro on sale $219 free shipping for prime members...so I may upgrade sooner than l8r!
Why not spend a few dollars more ($20) and get the RT-AX88U Pro for $239.99 right now at Amazon? Its the better deal with the prices between the two so close. Personally I purchased the RT-AX86U Pro for $226 (after price matching and trade in rebate at Best Buy) April of last year when the RT-AX88U Pro was going for approx $349 at that time. No way I'd spend $219 today for the RT-AX86U Pro when the RT-AX88U Pro is only $20 more. The AX88U Pro will among other things give you two 2.5GB ports versus the AX86U Pro's single 2.5GB port.

PS: Plus the AX88U Pro has the release version of the 3.0.0.6.x firmware right now, while the AX86U Pro is stuck with last year's beta 3.0.0.6 firmware. Don't get me wrong, I like the RT-AX86U Pro. Its been a good router for my use case; but right now, for an extra $20, its a no brainer to go with the RT-AX88U Pro.

Last edited:
Why not spend a few dollars more ($20) and get the RT-AX88U Pro for $239.99 at Amazon? Its the better deal with the prices between the two so close. Personally I purchased the RT-AX86U Pro for $226 (after price matching and trade in rebate at Best Buy) April of last year when the RT-AX88U Pro was going for approx $349 at that time. No way I'd spend $219 today for the RT-AX86U Pro when the RT-AX88U Pro is only $20 more. The AX88U Pro will among other things give you two 2.5GB ports versus the AX86U Pro's single 2.5GB port.

PS: Plus the AX88U Pro has the release version of the 3.0.0.6.x firmware right now, while the AX86U Pro is stuck with last year's beta 3.0.0.6 firmware. Don't get me wrong, I like the RT-AX86U Pro. Its been a good router for my use case; but right now, for $20, its a no brainer to go with the RT-AX88U Pro.
I see...Where's did Asus imply ax86upro not getting the newest code or why stuck on beta?? I don't care for addrl 2.5gb port honestly and besides that and price...why ax88u pro??

I see...Where's did Asus imply ax86upro not getting the newest code or why stuck on beta?? I don't care for addrl 2.5gb port honestly and besides that and price...why ax88u pro??
The RT-AX86U Pro not yet getting the release 3.0.0.6.x firmware (or even a newer beta version that is less than a year old) is the WHOLE point of this thread (and complaints in other threads). Asus has indicated a number of routers including the AX86U Pro are supposed to be getting the 3.0.0.6.x, yet only a few actually have gotten the release 3.0.0.6.x firmware the rest of us are limited to the wonky betas of the 3.0.0.6.x.

PS: I tried the beta and gave up due to having too many issues with it.

For $20 more (thanks @bennor), you get a much better (and much better hardware-balanced) router.

Saving $20 today is throwing away $219 in absolute terms. For a crippled, unbalanced and non-standout router.

Yeah...besides not on newest code and addtl port...why? Don't care for the price diff.
Start with comparing the two router's features and hardware:

The RT-AX88U Pro has slightly better hardware specifications. Honestly there is NO reason to skimp just to save $20 unless one is so cash strapped they cannot find the $20.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!