What's new

RT-AX86U PRO page now up ...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HWDan

Regular Contributor
on the Global site. It was up a week ago or so on the China site.

Find it interesting that the BCM4912 (4916?) doesn't seem to allow secondary USB controllers.

GT-AX6000, GT-AX11000 PRO, GT-AXE16000 and now AX86U PRO are all 2.0 + 3.0 config.

Last edited:
So, the only thing different (hardware) from the original RT-AX86U is the 200MHz faster CPU and the 'new' old RAM? And, presumably, the updated SDK to accompany it all?

Still has to prove itself. Not only in the marketplace (it needs to be cheaper), but also in real world stability and reliability too. Let's look at this again in a few months.

Care to expand on that thought?

Real hardware changes? Or just due to the newer (assumed) SDK?

Care to expand on that thought?

Real hardware changes? Or just due to the newer (assumed) SDK?
I'm not sure which of the info I have are public, and which are confidential, so I can't elaborate. But you can compare the (limited) info published on Broadcom's website. For instance the BCM4912 adds support for two 10 Gbps ports, and DDR4 support (which means an upgraded memory controller at the very least).

Documentation seems to be getting less and less. Only thing on the web site is a Quick Start Guide which is very basic. Yes, it is more than enough for the average consumer until they run into trouble. Then tech support is pretty much worthless. Good thing this forum exists even though we all do not agree on how to skin the cow.

Documentation seems to be getting less and less. Only thing on the web site is a Quick Start Guide which is very basic. Yes, it is more than enough for the average consumer until they run into trouble. Then tech support is pretty much worthless. Good thing this forum exists even though we all do not agree on how to skin the cow.

The subject product web page is likely still being released.

ASUS also seems to be developing a Support knowledge database here: Support - ASUS-Wireless (asuscomm.com)

And there are the FAQs you can search directly from within your router webUI.

I'd call that more documentation, not less.

OE

BCM4912 isn't just a 200 MHz speed bump, there are other internal improvements as well.
Yes, one thing that I noted was the die process size went down from 28nm to 16nm: often this can lead to lower power consumption and heat production, all other things being equal (yes, this new unit did get a speed bump, so take this with a grain of salt here). Still, even the "normal" RT-AX86U was already considered to have shaken the hardware/heat issues that plagued the RT-AC86U, so perhaps we will see even lower heat production from the newer unit.

Yes, one thing that I noted was the die process size went down from 28nm to 16nm: often this can lead to lower power consumption and heat production, all other things being equal (yes, this new unit did get a speed bump, so take this with a grain of salt here). Still, even the "normal" RT-AX86U was already considered to have shaken the hardware/heat issues that plagued the RT-AC86U, so perhaps we will see even lower heat production from the newer unit.

I was using the GT-AC2900 version of the AC86U platform for a bit and it never really had heat issues either.

TSMC 16nm is pretty close to 14nm FinFET from Samsung in regards to chip density. Surprised it took this long considering Qualcomm has had Samsung 14nm since 2018 or so. I guess Broadcom was happy with the 28nm pricing:D

I was using the GT-AC2900 version of the AC86U platform for a bit and it never really had heat issues either.

TSMC 16nm is pretty close to 14nm FinFET from Samsung in regards to chip density. Surprised it took this long considering Qualcomm has had Samsung 14nm since 2018 or so. I guess Broadcom was happy with the 28nm pricing:D
Ok, perhaps technically the issues surrounding the RT-AC86U go deeper than simply the CPU running warm: it seems that the bigger problem was surrounding the voltage regulation chip, with it having a nasty habit of burning out prematurely.

It really doesn't matter, I just wish we would see the new Pro unit's price point come in where it appears to be in China: 1599 yuan is about $225, but as I said before, our "Pro" price will likely come in roughly $100 higher. Otherwise, it won't really seem "Pro" at all if it sells for less than the normal model, would it?

Ok, perhaps technically the issues surrounding the RT-AC86U go deeper than simply the CPU running warm: it seems that the bigger problem was surrounding the voltage regulation chip, with it having a nasty habit of burning out prematurely.

It really doesn't matter, I just wish we would see the new Pro unit's price point come in where it appears to be in China: 1599 yuan is about $225, but as I said before, our "Pro" price will likely come in roughly $100 higher. Otherwise, it won't really seem "Pro" at all if it sells for less than the normal model, would it?

GT-AC2900 is prob a special case.. Has revised ID and a black PCB variant AC86U design. It's also made in Taiwan (US market?) opposed to China or Vietnam. Not sure if that matters..

Anyway.. I expect $300 USD. GT-AX6000 is basically the updated AX88U and that jumped up $50 USD MSRP.. $350>400.

The AX86U launched at $250, but got a MSRP price bump to $280 for inflation or whatever excuse ASUS wants to use. I say $300 because the GT-AX6000 has been on and off of sale price ($329) for the past few months. Hit $300 from Newegg US with a code. Never seen an AX88U below $250...

I would honestly take the GT-AX6000 if youre looking for something "now". It's a better version of the AX86U PRO. 4x4 2.4G, bigger antennas, Extra 2.5G port.

The AX86U PRO will end up cheaper over time, but you're going to be waiting.. Every 86U model has been popular.

Last edited:
So for a large 2 story home, would it be better to change my RT-AX88U to the RT-AX86U PRO or the more expensive ASUS ROG Rapture WiFi 6E Gaming Router (GT-AXE16000)? Would the GT-AXE16000 provide a better WiFi range? Right now the AX88U is located in a room on the 2nd floor and it the signal can barely reach downstairs so I have an access point there.

Without testing, there is no way to predict if the RT-AX86U Pro (or not) is superior to the RT-AX88U. Same for the GT-AXE16000.

Doesn't sound like you need to change your hardware today. You are not stating anything wrong with the current setup.

2x of the identical model may prove worthy though. But, at those prices, it should.

He might need a wired backhaul if his problem is solely coverage. 4x4 Radios generally are in the same ball park of penetration... going to a higher end 4x4 model wont really solve much.

Without testing, there is no way to predict if the RT-AX86U Pro (or not) is superior to the RT-AX88U. Same for the GT-AXE16000.

Doesn't sound like you need to change your hardware today. You are not stating anything wrong with the current setup.

2x of the identical model may prove worthy though. But, at those prices, it should.
the only reason I wanted to get the RT-AX86U is that you keep saying your latency is lower. This is my latency now (using the best Monoprice LAN cables BTW if you remember I had asked you before for a suggestion, don't waste your money, the latency didn't improve with those cables)

2022-09-29_06h29_34.png

I initially wanted to get the RT-AX86U based on your recommendation and low latency but that all changed with the announcement of the PRO model. Still not sure if it's worth the upgrade.

You're trying to improve your wired latency?

Not going to happen. That's up to your ISP.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!