What's new

RT-AX86U/RT-AX5700 hits the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

without all this, it makes no sense for me to use the router.

Dude, merlin has stated over and over he has no plans to do MERLIN firmware for this unless someone shovels him some serious money or his bored as hell, so why are you so surprised by this?

Dude, merlin has stated over and over he has no plans to do MERLIN firmware for this unless someone shovels him some serious money or his bored as hell, so why are you so surprised by this?

I have never said that.

What I've said is I cannot speculate about future model support, and people should consider models to be unsupported until I actually say otherwise.

So you bought the router without even knowing if I will actually support it?
Yes, that's right, for some reason I was sure that all the top routers from asus receive your support, besides I saw that you already support several AX models, so I decided that this model will also not be left out, but maybe I was wrong... Once I bought an AC68U at the start of sales in my country and your firmware was immediately available, which of course I was very happy about, because since the RT-N16 I have only used your firmware and am very grateful for your work!

Yes, that's right, for some reason I was sure that all the top routers from asus receive your support,

No decision has been made yet about the RT-AX86U, because adding new models is much more difficult to do today than it was a few years ago.

All I know for sure is that I won't be adding any new model until the 386 code migration is completed, and that code has stabilized. Then, I will evaluate things and make any decision.

Although I preferred the aesthetics of the RT-AX86U over the RT-AX88U (personal choice of course), I had problems with the ASUS firmware from the word go, as I mentioned in other threads, so I'm glad to be back in the Merlin camp with my new RT-AX88U (I've received a full refund for the RT-AX86U, so top marks for the seller), which so far is performing really well with just a few amtm scripts set up (Diversion Standard, spdMerlin and Skynet) and using traditional QoS. Not missing the RT-AX86U at all.

After more than 5 years, today I retired my RT-AC87U, the last few days I had a lot of trouble with download speeds.

Got my AX86U this afternoon after a quick install and uploading the con-fig file, I'm more than happy with the new router.
It works perfectly atm!

And with the 50€ cashback its for a good price :)
speedtest.png

Last edited:
Got 2 AX86U units on the way. I hope to use the 2.5G port from one unit to the other, where the other is in wired AP mode and get 2.5g between them. Anyone else do this yet?
Would be interested to hear how you get on with this. I'm considering doing the same, as having a 2.5G wired backhaul would be very useful.

Today I bought 2 Wifi 6 Dual Band 3000Mbps Pci-E Wifi Cards for my 2 laptops.

See what these will bring in collaboration with my AX68U
Wifi 6.png

@Nighthawk It will be interesting to see if that card works. I can find no information on the manufacturer. It's odd that it has a mini PCIe interface. Most laptops now have M.2 slots.

The only available AX laptop card that I know of is Intel's AX200, which has an M.2 interface.

Killer AX 1650 too (pretty sure I've seen them for sale separately)

Although I guess arguably pretty much the same thing as the AX200

Another buyer indicated that in device manager, this is seen as Intel (R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz.

As soon as I have them I will report back, I need them for 2 Toshiba Tecra's that still work great.

Attachments

• Wifi 6.jpg
    Wifi 6.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
If it's a rebranded AX200, then the product image is incorrect.
I hope your Tecras have an M.2 slot.

Killer AX 1650 too (pretty sure I've seen them for sale separately)

Although I guess arguably pretty much the same thing as the AX200
Yes, it is. Especially now that Intel bought Killer/Rivet Networks.

@Nighthawk It will be interesting to see if that card works. I can find no information on the manufacturer. It's odd that it has a mini PCIe interface. Most laptops now have M.2 slots.

The only available AX laptop card that I know of is Intel's AX200, which has an M.2 interface.

mPCIe AX200 has a HMW postfix aka the AX200 HMW. Seems to have been discontinued, so probably the OEM is rebranding them to try avoid any problems with Intel maybe? Maybe it was created just for China market.

Also even though you have an older laptop and bought the M.2 AX200 NGW, you can buy an M.2 to mPCIe converter together with an IPEX 4 to IPEX 1 converter for the antennas. That's what I did for my old Haswell laptop to connect to my AX86U. Works like a charm.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!