What's new

RT-AX86U/RT-AX5700 hits the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I finally got the wifi 6 card, installed it immediately and it works perfectly at a price off 18€ this was a cheap upgrade.:)
Ordered another 2 with an M2 slot

Wifi 6 Dual Band 3000Mbps Pci-E Wifi 002.jpg

AX200.jpg

Wifi 6 AX200.jpg

After more than 5 years, today I retired my RT-AC87U, the last few days I had a lot of trouble with download speeds.

Got my AX86U this afternoon after a quick install and uploading the con-fig file, I'm more than happy with the new router.
It works perfectly atm!

And with the 50€ cashback its for a good price :)
View attachment 26176
For these speeds no AX router required?
Having said that a new router every couple of years is probably the right thing to do...

For these speeds no AX router required?
Having said that a new router every couple of years is probably the right thing to do...

You are absolutely right, but there is a request for fiber 1000/1000.

And I still wanted a new router and I am very happy with the AX86U.

Notebook Wi-Fi link "Speed" faster (router 2m away)...

View attachment 25755

iPhone 11 speeds are much faster BUT only if the iphone is 1 or 2m away from the router...
If the iPhone is 10m away no difference to RT-AC86U router....
I would not upgrade to AX from AC for speed or anything else, only if you need a new router anyways....

This is solely my opinion, but the biggest issue for both 5ghz AC and AX (on a single point router) is interference and channel allocation for high speed (300+mbps) connections.

You can try the higher 149-161 80mhz block, but this will limit your potential bandwidth to half at closer distances with 160mhz AX or AC devices. The higher 80mhz block obviously runs at a higher frequency too and thus slightly less range so YMMV based on local interference. Subjectively, I get worse PHY rates, but more consistent higher speeds so its sort of a no brainier.

WIFI 6E should technically improve this significantly and is more of a "real" upgrade from Wave 2 AC. Early adopters will have free access to the "6ghz" band with around 7 different blocks capable of 160mhz. Thats assuming clients are actually in circulation by next year around this time.

In contrast, current 160mhz 5ghz AC/AX is limited to 2 blocks and one of them is completely allocated to DFS which may work poorly in some areas.... Meaning only 1 real and likely congested 160mhz block for both AX/AC devices.

I certainly wouldn't bother upgrading to the AX86U from an AC86U (unless you need the CPU power for file transfer), but its a decent router if you're coming from something like a first gen 3x3 AC design.

3x3 to 4x4 antenna config is worth it in itself. my2c.

Last edited:
This is solely my opinion, but the biggest issue for both 5ghz AC and AX (on a single point router) is interference and channel allocation for high speed (300+mbps) connections.

You can try the higher 149-161 80mhz block, but this will limit your potential bandwidth to half at closer distances with 160mhz AX or AC devices. The higher 80mhz block obviously runs at a higher frequency too and thus slightly less range so YMMV based on local interference. Subjectively, I get worse PHY rates, but more consistent higher speeds so its sort of a no brainier.

WIFI 6E should technically improve this significantly and is more of a "real" upgrade from Wave 2 AC. Early adopters will have free access to the "6ghz" band with around 7 different blocks capable of 160mhz. Thats assuming clients are actually in circulation by next year around this time.

In contrast, current 160mhz 5ghz AC/AX is limited to 2 blocks and one of them is completely allocated to DFS which may work poorly in some areas.... Meaning only 1 real and likely congested 160mhz block for both AX/AC devices.

I certainly wouldn't bother upgrading to the AX86U from an AC86U (unless you need the CPU power for file transfer), but its a decent router if you're coming from something like a first gen 3x3 AC design.

3x3 to 4x4 antenna config is worth it in itself. my2c.
That's true. The two block 5Ghz range has it's problems. The 6Ghz range is going to be a welcome addition. I would like to have a 6E/6Ghz router right now of the same quality and performance as the RT-AX86U (the RT-AXE86U?). Unfortunately we are probably 2-3 years away from widespread mainstream device support for 6E/6Ghz. Furthermore the first wave of Wifi 6E routers with a minimum of three radios (2.4, 5 and 6Ghz) won't be cheap and they will probably have a larger footprint. They will likely be twice the price of the RT-AX86U and by the time 6E devices are common we will be talking about whether we should wait for the next Wifi 7 routers which by then will be just around the corner. Therefore you can wait one to two years for a reasonably priced but soon to be outdated Wifi 6E router with more widespread 6E device support or you can wait three years for the latest greatest 802.11be/Wifi 7 router (est. release in 2024).

Last edited:
That's true. The two block 5Ghz range has it's problems. The 6Ghz range is going to be a welcome addition. I would like to have a 6E/6Ghz router right now of the same quality and performance as the RT-AX86U (the RT-AXE86U?). Unfortunately we are probably 2-3 years away from widespread mainstream device support for 6E/6Ghz. Furthermore the first wave of Wifi 6E routers with a minimum of three radios (2.4, 5 and 6Ghz) won't be cheap and they will probably have a larger footprint. They will likely be twice the price of the RT-AX86U and by the time 6E devices are common we will be talking about whether we should wait for the next Wifi 7 routers which by then will be just around the corner. Therefore you can wait one to two years for a reasonably priced but soon to be outdated Wifi 6E router with more widespread 6E device support or you can wait three years for the latest greatest 802.11be/Wifi 7 router (est. release in 2024).

Yup I agree.

Again, the AX86U is a well priced solution if you have a first gen 3x3 AC router and have an itch to upgrade, but I'd 100% skip it if you have a good working 4x4 Wave 2 device like a AC86U, R7800.. etc..

Minimal improvement unless CPU power and or NAS capability matters to you.

Yup I agree.

Again, the AX86U is a well priced solution if you have a first gen 3x3 AC router and have an itch to upgrade, but I'd 100% skip it if you have a good working 4x4 Wave 2 device like a AC86U, R7800.. etc..

Minimal improvement unless CPU power and or NAS capability matters to you.
,,,or if you have an itch to run AX/Wifi 6 devices in the near future. ;)

,,,or if you have an itch to run AX/Wifi 6 devices in the near future. ;)

I have a few. The slight speed increase from my GT-AC2900 isn't significant enough for the cost increase. $170 vs $250 USD. Returned mine ;)

Was already maxing my connection on both routers with AX200 cards.The AX86U was more forgiving without manual channel configuration, but they performed identical once I had everything setup properly. The AX86U prob goes a little further, but I'm limited to 1800sqft.

Last edited:
I have a few. The slight speed increase from my GT-AC2900 isn't significant enough for the cost increase. $170 vs $250 USD. Returned mine ;)...
Your GT router is still considered a high performance Asus router so keeping it is understandable. Most online stores are still selling your router for $199 USD. As of this post you are lucky if you can find the RT-AX86U for $250 USD. They have been out of stock at many places for a month after it's release and where it has been available it has been often priced higher than $250 USD.

No more AC router purchases for me. I have been so impressed that I now have four RT-AX86Us which replaced all my outdated AC68U/P series routers for home and business use . The improvement in range, throughput, and connection reliability has been remarkable. :)

Last edited:
Your GT router is still considered a high performance Asus router so keeping it is understandable. Most online stores are still selling your router for $199 USD. As of this post you are lucky if you can find the RT-AX86U for $250 USD. They have been out of stock at many places for a month after it's release and where it has been available it has been often priced higher than $250 USD.

No more AC router purchases for me. I have been so impressed that I now have four RT-AX86Us which replaced all my outdated AC68U/P series routers for home and business use . The improvement in range, throughput, and connection reliability has been remarkable. :)

It's more or less a slightly upgraded AC86U with 160mhz capability (which is limited to 2x2, I don't use this mode since range is worse and similar to the lower end 2x2 AX58U with AC clients), link aggregation, and the newer antennas shared on AX86U.

I figure I'll get a good 2 years out of this router then switch out to a tri-band wifi 6E sooner than later. More of a logical upgrade path for me personally.

The only real downgrade I can potentially see from not keeping the AX86U is future IoT devices on 2.4Ghz AX, but none exist yet. I assume google might announce new products at the end of this year.

Also both Newegg and Amazon had the router in stock today for $250, but they definitely sell out quick.

Last edited:
Also both Newegg and Amazon had the router in stock today for $250, but they definitely sell out quick.
Everyones stuck at home/working at home for the foreseeable future, so no surprise that good rated routers will sell quickly
I just checked Amazon and Newegg availability for the RT-AX86U a minute before this post...

Amazon: $250 USD but you have to wait...It's available for shipping in two weeks. If you want one right away it's $303 USD from a third party vendor.

Newegg: Out of Stock. Available right away from a third party vendor for $311 USD.

They are selling like hotcakes for a reason. Everyone is starting to realize how good this router really is and it's being marketed by Asus as a low latency Wifi 6 "gaming router". With the new PS5 (with Wifi 6) and XBox X gaming systems coming and the fall/winter holidays around the corner this situation will only get worse. Get it while you can.

UPDATE: Wating is not a good strategy if you want one before the holidays. It's been less than a week since this original post. You now have to wait a month to get it from Amazon at retail pricing. Amazon third party vendors range from $296 to $382 USD. Most other major online retailers like NewEgg are sold out or backordered.

Last edited:
I think it's probably more a supply problem than just a drastic demand increase. The manufacturing delays of last spring in China will have an impact over a longer period of time, as each following stages of manufacturing + supplying to reseller is getting delayed, stretching over a longer period of time.

Asus's supply has often been somewhat limited even before the human malware hitting us. I remember having to wait months back in the day to be able to get an RT-N66U here in Canada.

I just checked Amazon and Newegg availability for the RT-AX86U a minute before this post...

Amazon: $250 USD but you have to wait...It's available for shipping in two weeks. If you want one right away it's $303 USD from a third party vendor.

Newegg: Out of Stock. Available right away from a third party vendor for $311 USD.

They are selling like hotcakes for a reason. Everyone is starting to realize how good this router really is and it's being marketed by Asus as a low latency Wifi 6 "gaming router". With the new PS5 (with Wifi 6) and XBox X gaming systems coming and the fall/winter holidays around the corner this situation will only get worse. Get it while you can.

UPDATE: Wating is not a good strategy if you want one before the holidays. It's been less than a week since this original post. You now have to wait a month to get it from Amazon at retail pricing. Amazon third party vendors range from $296 to $382 USD. Most other major online retailers like NewEgg are sold out or backordered.

With computer and most stuff waiting is always a good strategy, only not if you have defective hardware, there will always be the "best ever" just around the corner...

With computer and most stuff waiting is always a good strategy, only not if you have defective hardware, there will always be the "best ever" just around the corner...
The point is when is the sweet spot to change your device. Don't wait too long and don't change it too frequent.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!