What's new

RT-AX86U vs GT-AX6000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routerbrah

New Around Here
I am looking to upgrade from my aging R7000 because I have around 20 devices that are always connected to it and I can feel my R7000 is slowly dying as the days go by.

I don't know if I should go with the RT-AX86U or GT-AX6000. Does anybody know if the GT-AX6000 is better than the RT-AX86U in terms of speed, performance, coverage and reliability? If you were in the market for a new router, would go for the RT-AX86U or GT-AX6000?

Yes, the GT-AX6000 is the better buy right now if you're planning on keeping the router for as long as possible.

About 20% faster throughput to the same client at the same distance/location over the RT-AX86U in my environment. While the RT-AX86Us have proven very reliable for me these past two years, it is too early to tell if that reliability translates to the GT-AX6000 too. But so far (a few months), no issues at all.

I just ordered a GT-AX6000 off Amazon. They had an early Prime deal for $299.99 It probably will not make much difference on my meager network but I had been thinking about getting an AX86U anyway. :)

I had been thinking about getting an AX86U anyway

Hopefully GT-AX6000 is better because AC86U has better wall penetration than AX86U. On higher 149-161 channels AX86U is almost there, but still AC86U destroys it on lower 36-48 channels with better throughput and range. There are still more AC clients around. TP-Link Archer C80 for $50 beats AX86U in range on 36-48 channels. It beats it in throughput to AC 2-stream client in close proximity as well - 540Mbps for AX86U vs 580Mbps for C80.

Hopefully GT-AX6000 is better because AC86U has better wall penetration than AX86U. On higher 149-161 channels AX86U is almost there, but still AC86U destroys it on lower 36-48 channels with better throughput and range. There are still more AC clients around. TP-Link Archer C80 for $50 beats AX86U in range on 36-48 channels. It beats it in throughput to AC 2-stream client in close proximity as well - 540Mbps for AX86U vs 580Mbps for C80.

Really depends on environment and sometimes even modem. BCM3390 and PUMA 7 based HW give me significantly different throughput results on a GT-AC2900 (Rebrand/updgraded AC86U), regardless of lan always pegging max speed.

PUMA7 is generally 100-200mbps slower with the same wireless control channel... I don't know why this is.

And like the AX86U, my GT-AC2900 also suffers from weaker 36-48 due to lower rated power output. My furthest client (AX201) has RNG speeds depending on time of day due to interference. Unii-3 149-161 helps, but thats also crowded here.

GT-AX6000 is rated for full power on both unii1+3. Plus its a Gen 2 platform... It's more or less the "real upgrade" from Wave 2 AC IMO.

I don't disagree though. Penetration on the AC86U is quite good, but it's starting to show its age in certain areas.

Anyway I just bought one today. Got it for $290 with $10 discover amazon promo. + 5% Cash back at end of billing cycle. I think this is the lowest possible price considering AX88U (gen 1 4x4+4x4) never really dropped below $250 according to camelcamelcamel.

I suggest anyone waiting for "AX86U PRO" to just go with this prime deal. MSRP/Pricing on regular gen1 AX86U is fairly stable $260-280... Zaku AX86U went for $220 a few months back, but that was sort of a one off deal that lasted 1-2 days.

I just don't see the AX86U PRO being priced below $300... Plus you get a better 2.4G radio + extra 2.5G port going with the GT-AX6000.

Last edited:
Really depends on environment and sometimes even modem. BCM3390 and PUMA 7 based HW give me significantly different throughput results on a GT-AC2900 (Rebrand/updgraded AC86U), regardless of lan always pegging max speed.

PUMA7 is generally 100-200mbps slower with the same wireless control channel... I don't know why this is.

And like the AX86U, my GT-AC2900 also suffers from weaker 36-48 due to lower rated power output. My furthest client (AX201) has RNG speeds depending on time of day due to interference. Unii-3 149-161 helps, but thats also crowded here.

GT-AX6000 is rated for full power on both unii1+3. Plus its a Gen 2 platform... It's more or less the "real upgrade" from Wave 2 AC IMO.

I just don't see the AX86U PRO being priced below $300... Plus you get a better 2.4G radio + extra 2.5G port going with the GT-AX6000.
I noticed this on my AX86U ..the 36-48 channels did not come in well far in the house and I get a better speed with 149-161.

So you're saying I can get better or same signal with the GT-ax6000 on 36-48??

Last edited:
I noticed this on my AX86U ..the 36-48 channels did not come on well far in the house and I get a better speed with 149-161.

Exactly. Not sure why it is so glorified on SNB Forums. Weaker than the router it replaced. Not sure if I'm going to donate it or dissect it.

I noticed this on my AX86U ..the 36-48 channels did not come in well far in the house and I get a better speed with 149-161.

So you're saying I can get better or same signal with the GT-ax6000 on 36-48??

Both AC86U and AX86U have lower sub 1W power rating on UNII-1.

The rest of it comes down to local interference and individual client power outputs. Don't forget low 5G (36-48) has higher innate range.. Chances are your neighbors are also degrading signal.

UNII-3 (149-161) has more "limited range" being higher frequency, but this can be a good thing for a local environment. Not saying It's "better", but it really comes down to what is degrading signal. Client could also be lower power on UNII-1. YMMV.

But apples to apples, GT-AX6000 is nearly full 1W on UNII-1.

I cant tell you whats "better". WIFI is one of those things that aren't static.. Even modems will mess with throughput.

The newer Gen 2 hardware (AX86U PRO, GT-AX6000, GT-AX11000 PRO, GT-AXE16000) should be generally better than alt predecessors.

Last edited:
I'll try AX86U with different antennas next time.

Update:

No luck. AX86U with AC86U and AC88U antennas works the same. AC86U is better with its original, AX86U and AC88U antennas. It's the radio.

Update:

No luck. AX86U with AC86U and AC88U antennas works the same. AC86U is better with its original, AX86U and AC88U antennas. It's the radio.

I wonder how the ac86u antennas would work on the GT-AX6000 ?

Most likely the same way. What you see outside as shape is non-functional plastic. The actual antenna inside is about 5cm. External antennas are not really needed, more for show.

I wonder how the ac86u antennas would work on the GT-AX6000 ?
Without modification, they'd not screw down, the connection surrounds on the GT-Ax6000 are larger. As for signal penetration and distance, I've not noticed any significant difference between the RT-AC86u and the GT-AX6000. I've one location in the house that both struggled with thanks to two solid walls shielding and a floor in the signal path (to cover that area I have an RP-AX56u). Other than that one area both routers are able to cover the house, garden, garage, and a significant stretch of the road outside. I've a 2.4GHz "N" Reolink camera fitted on the garage which manages a tiny bit more bandwidth (less than 10% improvement) on the GT-AX6000. The big difference comes when you've AX devices, even at a distance these manage significantly higher data rates compared to AC devices at the same distance. The RT-AC86u started struggling with about 25 devices on 2.4GHz, which the GT-AX6000 seemed able to cope with - that environment has changed since the latest smarts I've added may now be less demanding!

Yes, the main reason for going with the AX6000 was more cpu power to run all my scripts. It does not seem to have any better range than my AC86U, but it does handle the scripts way better. :)

Update:

Clients/Radios/environment are always subjective. I can test when I get mine, but thats Saturday.

4x4 vs 4x4 radio for AC clients should generally be at least "even" in most cases.. but I also don't doubt your AX86U is weaker in your environment.

The benefit to upgrading from AC>AX is the SNR/10%~ QAM advantage @ distance with AX client.

4x4 AC is still better over entry 2x2 AX stuff.. (Higher throughput at distance for me, Close range isn't really an advantage as my GT-AC2900 supports 80+80 160mhz bonding..). 3x3 is more of a trade off.. AX clients might work better, but AC clients suffer coming from higher MIMO.

I'd like to think Gen 2 AX radios bridge the gap, but who knows. It's always going to be subjective to what performs better in your home. My 2c.

Last edited:
I can test when I get mine, but thats Saturday.

Please do and share your experience. Initially I was thinking my AX86U is defective. It came with 46061 and without testing it first I updated to the new 49477. It was bad, some driver bug. Then Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7... even worse. Asuswrt-Merlin drivers were downgraded in 386.7_2 as far as I remember. Asus released quickly 49599 with some fix. Still, 36-48 performance is quite bad. 149-161 is much better, almost on par with AC86U. I'm lucky we have 149-161 channels in our region, I guess. Not a big deal for me because the router was purchased just for fun, but still disappointing. I was expecting more.

Please do and share your experience. Initially I was thinking my AX86U is defective. It came with 46061 and without testing it first I updated to the new 49477. It was bad, some driver bug. Then Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7... even worse. Asuswrt-Merlin drivers were downgraded in 386.7_2 as far as I remember. Asus released quickly 49599 with some fix. Still, 36-48 performance is quite bad. 149-161 is much better, almost on par with AC86U. I'm lucky we have 149-161 channels in our region, I guess. Not a big deal for me because the router was purchased just for fun, but still disappointing. I was expecting more.

Just doing some brief testing with an AX200 client out of box..

It's actually underperforming here on auto channel. Getting around the same speeds as my GT-AC2900 at furthest distance which is lack luster considering the client was running AC modulation prior.

Dropping down from 160>80mhz increases speeds, but that's normal (3db?). SNR is better. Speed is a little better, but still on AX modulation.

Setting AX200 to AC modulation > lower/similar speeds to my GT-AC2900... This is all around 30 FT distance.. GRANTED this is peak hour and my GT-AC2900 may underperform right now.

I'm actually a little disappointed.. Will test more.. Only other option I have is finding a cheap AX89X.. which is 8x8 @ 80mhz.

Edit: Router UI and reset is much faster than my GT-AC2900. Clear upgrade there.

tl;dr router is better, but not $300 usd better :p

Last edited: