What's new

RT-AX88U and TCP smart bulbs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Silly question but how do i diable channels 12 and 13. :)
You don't need to because you've manually selected channel 11. The option to disable 12 and 13 only appears if you select Auto channel.

I suggest you set the bandwidth to 20MHz instead of 20/40.

Ok, im using channel 11 on the 2.4GHz. I never use auto channel select. I will also selct 20 mhz like you suggest...Hope that helps, thx bud. Is there anything you can see that might stop a new bulb being paired ?

Last edited:
Can you confirm that when using to TCP app to connect to the bulb, you get to the "Connecting" screen but you don't get the "Device found" message at the bottom of the screen?

Colin, thats right buddy. The bulb flashes, its trying to connect to the 2.4GHz network, it just wont lock on. As soon as i put my old router back and try to pair the bulb, the bulb flashes for 12 seconds, then connects and its on my network. Something in this ASUS router is stopping me from pairing a brand new smart bulb. Ive tried 3 different makes, none connect. Put the old router back and yep, easy to connect and get working ...

Colin, thats right buddy. The bulb flashes, its trying to connect to the 2.4GHz network, it just wont lock on. As soon as i put my old router back and try to pair the bulb, the bulb flashes for 12 seconds, then connects and its on my network. Something in this ASUS router is stopping me from pairing a brand new smart bulb. Ive tried 3 different makes, none connect. Put the old router back and yep, easy to connect and get working ...
OK, thanks. It's still a mystery to me as to what is happening at this stage behind the scenes. Initially the app must be connecting directly to the bulb somehow (not via the router's Wi-Fi). How is it doing this? WPS, AP mode, Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth, ZigBee, etc. Only after this connection is made can the app tell the bulb what SSID and password to use for the router connection.

- I'm assuming that these TCP bulbs normally show up as connected to the router's Wi-Fi (in System Log - Wireless Log)?

Side note: Does your Wi-Fi password have any non-alphanumeric characters that might be confusing it?

Hi Everyone, i dont normally post because i just read what everyone puts and thats tends to sort out my problems. I have tried to connect my TCP smart bulbs and to no avail, they will not connect. I have tried everything possible, changed all options, and they will not connect. Am i missing something like a little trick or an option in the firmware to get a smart bulb to connect ? Thanks guys :)

Your problem is likely due to the bulb and has nothing to do with the router, firmware, or settings. I had a set of TP Link bulbs that worked great with my ac88u and later a ax88u. Eventually they would drop off every few seconds unless I set the WiFi 2.4ghz band to legacy compatibility mode (and then loosing all the bandwidth). After no support from TPLInk, I went out and bought their new model and it worked fine using AX and full performance settings.

My theory is ASUS is keeping up with CVE patches but TPLINK was not putting the money into the older models to keep their bulbs compatible. In the end, I replaced all my bulbs and everything is working fine to this day, There are several posts from me in ASUS and TPLINKs forum. It was a bummer as the old bulbs were expensive and OBE in 6 years as TPLINK stopped supporting them. Wish there was better options but they are one of a very few manufactures that do not require hubs.

Set the old router up with the same ssid and password, set the bulb up on that. In theory the bulb should now connect immediately to the new router.

Yes, your right, thats one way around it. Set it up using my old router, and then the new one will control everything. Thing is i wanting to buy a n router and im worried about spending over £500 on a router (AXE 16000) and it just wont connect.Tjis asus router has been a pain in the neck since i got it to be honest. I really wanted to love it and enjoy it so so much but it wont phone ether and it wont pair light bulbs. GRRRRRRRR

Ok, well i dont mind buying / changing my bulbs but the tplink ones dont have the small ses 14 bulbs.I think they are called tapo, but they just dont dont ses versions :(

OK, so i have been messing with the router. I set the thing back to factory default and just changed one thing at a time. Turns out once i changed the 2.4GHz freg to "legacy" and just 20mhz that was it. I know a couple of you said change to 20mhz, i did and choose legacy, works a treat. Thanks so much guys, really appreciate the help and advice you gave me. Next question, should i stick with stock firmware to put the Merlin firmware back in ? :p)

should i stick with stock firmware to put the Merlin firmware back in ?
Totally up to you but while it's this stable merlin 388.2_2 is my daily driver.

I know this is an old post but did you try putting the bulbs in their sockets, turn them off for 3 seconds, on for 3 seconds and repeat 5-8 times? That was the instructions I was given when my bulbs would not even show up on my network. They should flash when successful. It is supposed to factory reset them and remove any old settings and network information. It worked for my GE bulbs and some other smart lights I had.