What's new

RT-AX88U and TCP smart bulbs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KILLERDOG

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everyone, i dont normally post because i just read what everyone puts and thats tends to sort out my problems. I have tried to connect my TCP smart bulbs and to no avail, they will not connect. I have tried everything possible, changed all options, and they will not connect. Am i missing something like a little trick or an option in the firmware to get a smart bulb to connect ? Thanks guys :)

Hi Everyone, i dont normally post because i just read what everyone puts and thats tends to sort out my problems. I have tried to connect my TCP smart bulbs and to no avail, they will not connect. I have tried everything possible, changed all options, and they will not connect. Am i missing something like a little trick or an option in the firmware to get a smart bulb to connect ? Thanks guys :)

What are the specs of the smart bulb?

Ok, forgive me if i sound stupid, the bulbs are TCP smart bulb, 2.4 GHz freq. They just flash and flash and flash and will not pair to the network. But if i put my old Netgear r7800 router in place and try to pair to the bulbs, everything works fine. Its just this Asus router wont let me pair my smart bulbs..

Attachments

• 1686413881233.jpg
    1686413881233.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 66
Perhaps the protocol of the bulbs isn't compatible with the new router? I was at a friends office a couple of weeks ago and found that my ancient Toshiba laptop (2.4 GHz only, probably 12 years old) couldn't even see the SSID of the RT-AX86U Pro in his office. :( Made me wonder if the AX routers have dropped support for some of the earlier WiFi standards, probably due to security issues.

What are the "legacy" settings for the 2.4 band? It looks like the tcp bulbs only go as high as N.

Yes, i have turned off the 5ghz wireless. I have turned off the 6ghz radio, i have even turn off all proection and made no password, the bulbs just will not connect. I bought the bulbs only 2 weeks ago, they are brand new. Now if i connect my old r7800 netgear router, the bulbs pair up just fine. But i dont want to use my old router anymore, i bought this new asus router so i could have 6ghz.... There must be a setting that allow the bulbs to "see and join" the network. I rang ASUS, they were not helpful at all, in fact they were quite rude to me, and kept telling me to put the phone down and go online. A real shame because i was about to buy to AXE 16000 from Asus. The customer experience i recived has really put me off. .... :(

@ Colin Taylor, yes, i have tried AP mode and bluetooth mode , again, nothing connects those bulbs. Put the r7800 and bang, they pair and work fine.....

Disable 2.4Ghz channels 12 & 13.

I rang ASUS, they were not helpful at all, in fact they were quite rude to me, and kept telling me to put the phone down and go online. A real shame because i was about to buy to AXE 16000 from Asus. The customer experience i recived has really put me off. .... :(
Not excusing Asus but they're not exactly the only outfit to do that.

Given a few experiences I've had I think the issue is likely to be the IoT device rather than the router. Unfortunately, they're hit and miss - even with my limited IoT setup I've had issues with devices hating beamforming or a relatively recent speaker only supporting G WiFi. (Hence my question on what legacy protocols was 2.4g supporting)

If anything, the advanced settings on the Asus are handy for that reason.

If your wireless authentication is set to WPA2-Personal try with it set to WPA/WPA2-Personal

Hi guys, ive tried no protection, wpa, wpa2, wpa3, i have tried everything. I pit the old r7800 router in and boom, everything connects within 15 seconds. Really dissapointed with this rt-ax88u router. I have tried custom firmware ( merlin ) ive gone back to stock, i get exact same results. Really stuck with all these settings. I have read up and gone thru so many settings...

Hi, could you please provide a screenshot of how you have configured the 2.4ghz network in your router?

Regards.

I use wpa2 (aes), simple password and i dont change much in the firmware. I will connect the router again later and take pics. To be honest ive given up with it and its sitting in the box, my ngetgear r7800 is connected right now. Tomorrow i will take some pics and post them up :) Please bare in mind ive turned off AX, gone back to AC, turned off the 5ghz frq wireless, ive done what i know and the smart bulbs will not pair ( bought new bulb, wont pair ). Yet my good old r7800 pairs bulbs, works everything ,the thing is bullet proof, but its old, i want to use my new rt-ax88u router :(

Sounds like you've been toggling options on/off at random. Some/all of those options don't allow the router to act the same as not toggling them on/off in the first place. Your router is not in a good/known state.

I suggest fully resetting the router, then doing a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

Change options slowly, and carefully (unless you want to reset and start again), and reboot the router before testing it too.

I would not suggest changing the options you've indicated. Leave things at defaults after the reset and come back and ask for further guidance if necessary instead.

The following links may also help you get a working and stable network.

My ax88u connects to my tcp bulbs and socket adapters without a problem. So it's likely a settings problem or you missed something in the setup - did you try disabling channels 12 & 13 as suggested earlier. There's 2 methods to connect them too, have you tried both? Also you do have to have your android/apple device on the 2.4Ghz band.

Attachments

• TCP-Smart-Instructions-AP-Mode-Lighting(1).pdf
    948.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I have not been toggling on and off at random. I have reflashed the router to a stock ( latest ) firmware and i have only changed the necessary. I am uploading pics in a few mins ... Thx guys...

Ok, i have uploaded a few pictures. MY network is very stable and i have no problems using the bulbs. Its only when i try to introduce a new bulb onto my network that the new bulb will not connect... Can anyone see anything wrong with my settings ? Thx

Attachments

• 1686684580906.jpg
    1686684580906.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 1686684580914.jpg
    1686684580914.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 1686684580921.jpg
    1686684580921.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 55
I forgot to add, yes, my mobile phone is on the 2.4 GHz band also. Like i say my old router, everything works fine and i can introduce a new bulb. This rt-ax88u router will not allow a new bulb to be added.... Obviously i have missed a setting somewhere. Silly question but how do i diable channels 12 and 13. :)

Silly question but how do i diable channels 12 and 13
1000025897.jpg

In wireless settings. Though if you already have some tcp devices connected this could prove irrelevant. Just answering that question