What's new

RT-AX88U has a serious bug with firmware 3.0.0.4.384.9566 (random reboots)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spartan

So I recently got an RT-AX88U which runs great other than the random reboots. I saw some posts about it here and did all the suggested resets and whatnot to no avail. I also tried the latest Merlin Firmware but it was a no go for me because the VPN that I setup in the client VPN (L2TP) gets deleted after a reboot. This is on both 384.19 and 384.18 causing me lots of problems as I use an IP phone for work which needs to the VPN so having to recreate it every time a big hassle.

So today I tried downgrading to the previous official firmware from ASUS v 3.0.0.4.384.9559 and now all is fine.

I can confirm the same issue. We use 2x RT-AX88U AX6000 in our workplace and both have intermittent / random reboots (1-3/day). The outages last around 1-2 minutes as the ASUS seemingly reboots.

The first couple of log entries after the router recovers (to help with people searching for log entries in the future):

Oct 9 14:08:28 rc_service: ntp 2214:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Oct 9 14:08:28 disk_monitor: Finish
Oct 9 14:08:28 disk monitor: be idle

At first, we thought it was a DNS issue, with the WAN failing on the ASUS RT-AX88U, and the broadband/DSL working fine on the modem. After changing DNS servers and setting up various monitoring tools, we soon discovered that the ASUS Router was not responding to ping requests during a network failure (though other devices connected via Layer 2 switches were working fine between each other).

3.0.0.4.384.9566 isn't stable, 3.0.0.4.384.9559 has been rock solid.

We use most features of the RT-AX88U (DHCP, QOS, AiProtection, AiMesh, 2.4+5Ghz WiFi, Guest WiFi, static routes, port forwarding, etc) and I am unsure which of them are the source of the issue.

Last edited:
I can confirm the same issue. We use 2x RT-AX88U AX6000 in our workplace and both have intermittent / random reboots (1-3/day). The outages last around 1-2 minutes as the ASUS seemingly reboots.

The first couple of log entries after the router recovers (to help with people searching for log entries in the future):

At first, we thought it was a DNS issue, with the WAN failing on the ASUS RT-AX88U, and the broadband/DSL working fine on the modem. After changing DNS servers and setting up various monitoring tools, we soon discovered that the ASUS Router was not responding to ping requests during a network failure (though other devices connected via Layer 2 switches were working fine between each other).

3.0.0.4.384.9566 isn't stable, 3.0.0.4.384.9559 has been rock solid.

We use most features of the RT-AX88U (DHCP, QOS, AiProtection, AiMesh, 2.4+5Ghz WiFi, Guest WiFi, static routes, port forwarding, etc) and I am unsure which of them are the source of the issue.
Thanks for confirming this. I am using 0 extra features other than a VPN Client in the router. Nothing else has been touched, no AiProtection, no QoS, nothing! It's just one buggy firmware and ASUS hasn't updated it in 2 months!

So glad I sold my AX88u and got AX86U

RT-AX88U and RT-AX86U share the same CPU and same 5 GHz wifi chip. Only the network switch and the 2.4 GHz SoC are different.

Got to chip in here. Latest fw on the XT8's also has the same problem. I then disabled AiProtection, and no more reboots.

Hate disabling AiProtection, but at least the system is reliable.

Got to chip in here. Latest fw on the XT8's also has the same problem. I then disabled AiProtection, and no more reboots.

Hate disabling AiProtection, but at least the system is reliable.
I never enable AiProtection so yeah the issue has been happening without AiProtection even.

The best firmware for the AX88U with 0 issues for me is 3.0.0.4.384_9107

Sorry that isn't meant to be a link, try this:

Thanks a lot! Been checking for updates daily and was wondering why they have ignored his router for so long! Let's see how this firmware goes I hope they fixed the random disconnection issues.

I just installed it then reset my router to defaults.

Thanks a lot! Been checking for updates daily and was wondering why they have ignored his router for so long! Let's see how this firmware goes I hope they fixed the random disconnection issues.

I just installed it then reset my router to defaults.
Yeah i noticed because the ASUS Android app highlighted that it was available when i logged on to it. Quite handy.

Good for you. Want a medal?

The point is if something is perfectly stable for one user, and totally unstable for another, then maybe that other user needs to troubleshoot their setup instead of making a blanket statement. Or making snarky remarks.

I have a new AX88U in the mail. So I can join the fun. My other ASUS routers RT68, AC87U and AC86U were all good routers. So I do expect the same performance from the AX88U

The point is if something is perfectly stable for one user, and totally unstable for another, then maybe that other user needs to troubleshoot their setup instead of making a blanket statement. Or making snarky remarks.

So faulty equipment simply doesn't exist? All consumer products from covid China are perfect actually

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!