What's new

RT-AX88U Merlin acting very weird the last two weeks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scott31338

New Around Here
Good day. I have an RT-AX88U
I installed 388.1 back in December? and the router was running solid for quite some time. I don't know the specific times, but it feels around a week and a half ago, I have had multiple problems.
Wifi would not connect - or wifi would connect but could only reach gateway, could got get out
Ethernet would only get DHCP but would not get out for multiple minutes - even after rebooting
I thought I would ask before I get a replacement, or go ASUSWRT. I really enjoy Merlin.
I've tried unplugging every hardwire from my router and do one at a time
I did a factory reset - wiped JFFS - went to 386.8 - MOST of the problems went away. Before January, once the router was up and showed Connected, connections would work. Now it may take x minutes for it to. ping/traceroute from router screen is fine. I also get ethernet/DHCP reports "IP address already taken". I've done a couple electrical resets (Unplug power cord for a few minutes). That seems for those to resolve, but them I'm back at eventually (Today it was about four hours) every up connection seems okay, but I cannot connect new connections. I show 28 at this time - it's peaked at 30. Is this too many for this router? I have bought two more wifi devices recently. I can connect thru my 2.4GHz extender at this moment, get a DHCP IP address, but not directly with wifi thru the router.
I started turning on syslog to notice to see if it would give me any information, haven't had any luck there.
I thought it might've been a bad/wet cable in my crawl space, but I unplugged everything ethernet, that did not help.

Do you have any other ideas to try/check?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!