What's new

RT-AX88U needs at least one multi-gigabit port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yep, same as I'm using the 2.5gb port on the ax1100 for my nas and ax wifi cards for pumping 4k rips through the house to multiple devices simultaniously quite happily with bandwidth to spare
May I assume this port can be used for WAN/Internet? I have a Comcast XFinity XB7 (bridge mode) with 2.5Gbps port and I'm looking to upgrade to a router that has 2.5Gbps internet ethernet interface. RT-AX89X says 10Gbps so I am going to assume this port is also able to negotiate 2.5Gbps. Either that or I go with the RT-AX86U coming out soon which has a 2.5Gbps port.
You're using it on the LAN with your NAS and I'm looking for a port to use upstream to the Xfinity modem. The specs say WAN/LAN for that port. My only concern is that it won't negotiate 2.5Gbps with the Comcast modem.

I can't really see Asus releasing another revision of the 88u any time soon. Makes more sense for them to release a 6E model instead really and for any new buyers there's always the 86u or 89x if multigig is needed in the meantime.
For existing 88u users I guess there's always link aggregation if you need it for internal traffic and not WAN.

May I assume this port can be used for WAN/Internet? I have a Comcast XFinity XB7 (bridge mode) with 2.5Gbps port and I'm looking to upgrade to a router that has 2.5Gbps internet ethernet interface. RT-AX89X says 10Gbps so I am going to assume this port is also able to negotiate 2.5Gbps. Either that or I go with the RT-AX86U coming out soon which has a 2.5Gbps port.
You're using it on the LAN with your NAS and I'm looking for a port to use upstream to the Xfinity modem. The specs say WAN/LAN for that port. My only concern is that it won't negotiate 2.5Gbps with the Comcast modem.

Are you planning to subscribe to the Comcast 2 gbps service? That would be the only time when the 2.5 gbps would be needed on the WAN port.

Comcast gigabit is over-provisioned to 1.2Gbps. When I used my S8200 with the RT-AX88U using LAG to create a 2Gbps connection I was able to get 1.2. That being said, it doesn’t translate to any real world benefit. Even gigabit is overkill and rarely if ever can you hit that unless you saturate the bandwidth using multiple clients doing large downloads so it’s an absolute waste of money to chase this only for > 1Gbps throughput. I think I was just looking for an excuse to upgrade.

I’m just going to wait for Wifi 6E routers next year as the RT-AX88U is great and wasn’t cheap. I don’t need anything new.

I did get my question answered. Multi gig can be used for WAN.

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!