What's new

RT-AX88U New official firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.7977

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am going to try another clean install. I am seeing poor performance with 6436 however the router has not quit working or dropped clients.

OK guys, here is my log with 7977 and full factory reset. Same problem. System works fine for 10 minutes and devices start to loose internet and finaly router became unavalable till reboot... I can see a lot of wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(427): eth7 ... events compared to firmware 7756 but nothing else...

Attachments

• syslog (1).txt
    383.3 KB · Views: 296
I reset the router and reinstalled 7977, turned off all non essential features like aiprotect ect. only item in the logs

Feb 22 16:33:30 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Feb 22 16:33:49 BWDPI: force to flush flowcache entries
Feb 22 16:33:49 BWDPI: rollback fc
Feb 22 16:33:49 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)
Feb 22 16:34:54 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Feb 22 16:35:06 BWDPI: force to flush flowcache entries
Feb 22 16:35:07 BWDPI: rollback fc
Feb 22 16:35:07 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)
Feb 22 16:42:58 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Feb 22 16:43:09 BWDPI: force to flush flowcache entries
Feb 22 16:43:09 BWDPI: rollback fc
Feb 22 16:43:09 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)

I have not seen these entries in previous logs

OK guys, here is my log with 7977 and full factory reset. Same problem. System works fine for 10 minutes and devices start to loose internet and finaly router became unavalable till reboot... I can see a lot of wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(427): eth7 ... events compared to firmware 7756 but nothing else...

I can't help you with your unresponsive issue but I can say my syslog has always had numerous wlceventd events. Always meaning only several weeks with three fw versions with this router. As I understand it, its harmless and just extra log level sensitivity. My previous AX88U was returned because it would reboot on its own once or so times a day. The replacement I have had zero issues with. This is on a1.1.

I reset the router and reinstalled 7977, turned off all non essential features like aiprotect ect. only item in the logs

Feb 22 16:33:30 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Feb 22 16:33:49 BWDPI: force to flush flowcache entries
Feb 22 16:33:49 BWDPI: rollback fc
Feb 22 16:33:49 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)
Feb 22 16:34:54 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Feb 22 16:35:06 BWDPI: force to flush flowcache entries
Feb 22 16:35:07 BWDPI: rollback fc
Feb 22 16:35:07 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)
Feb 22 16:42:58 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Feb 22 16:43:09 BWDPI: force to flush flowcache entries
Feb 22 16:43:09 BWDPI: rollback fc
Feb 22 16:43:09 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)

I have not seen these entries in previous logs

Look at your #19 posting. Exact same messages different timestamp...

Last edited:
Agreed. Went back to 6436 throughput is much better iPhone 11 Pro 650 down 500 up on Fios 1 gig. With a lan cable it’s 950/950. It appears the new firmware is not ready for prime time. I need to find a stable solution.

Agreed. Went back to 6436 throughput is much better iPhone 11 Pro 650 down 500 up on Fios 1 gig. With a lan cable it’s 950/950. It appears the new firmware is not ready for prime time. I need to find a stable solution.

Question for you on how you factory reset the router. Are you doing it the WPS button way or via the GUI?

hmm, just got this router. Havent set it up yet but thinking I should not update to latest firmware if these issues are happening for multiple people?

hmm, just got this router. Havent set it up yet but thinking I should not update to latest firmware if these issues are happening for multiple people?

This is a very small group of people, there are thousands of other users like myself who have no issues. If you update the firmware and it’s not working you can always roll it back to a previous firmware or install Merlin which works well also.

I installed this firmware, performed nvram reset and set up as new. Within 1 day PPPOe disconnected and couldn’t reconnect. Had to reboot. What a spectacular fail ! Doesn’t fix THE ONE issue it is supposed to fix. Back to Merlin.

I tried it having had issues with all firmware since 6436 and have had to roll back again. All seemed OK initially but then i had to have a couple of Skype calls and for some reason this prompted high latency on the LAN (Wirelessly) and dropped speech. Rolled back and no more issues. How frustrating.

attached is a log file from the router crash, clean installed the latest firmware and setup as new.

Attachments

• log file.txt
    36.6 KB · Views: 216
This firmware has some serious bugs with port forwarding where it stops working abruptly. When accessing router interface from outside, the UI slows down to a crawl. Seems like they didn't do enough testing even after 2 months of gap between releases. OR they don't give a f about 384 firmware anymore.

Not sure if it is because i didn't do a factory reset but i also had issues with the latest Merlin. Just dropped packets and high latency over the Wi-Fi, mainly on 5Ghz. The only time it is stable is on stock 6436. Getting very frustrated because i don't want to be sat on 6436 for the next 2 years!! Any recommendations or is a factory reset followed by Merlin the best way to go?

@Tommy Grace, actually, flash RMerlin first, then do a full reset to factory defaults. Followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

Please see the link in my signature below for further details to getting your router to a good/known state by following the M&M Config and optionally/additionally, the Nuclear Reset guides. :)

This firmware has some serious bugs with port forwarding where it stops working abruptly. When accessing router interface from outside, the UI slows down to a crawl. Seems like they didn't do enough testing even after 2 months of gap between releases. OR they don't give a f about 384 firmware anymore.

I had this port forwarding problem with the DSL-AC88U, replaced 2 times, then Asus admitted the problem by not making updates anymore ... but with RT-AX88U it works perfectly!

I tried 7977 after nvram reset and it was dropping packets as well as stopping to do port forwarding after a day. So @Tommy Grace our wait continues till next firmware drops. Cannot believe after spending upwards of $400 for buying top tier routers, we are still beta testers. Forget about OFDMA and Wifi6 features, basic things like 5Ghz Wifi and Port Forwarding are not working correctly. PPPOe WAN disconnections are cherry on top.

@Tommy Grace, actually, flash RMerlin first, then do a full reset to factory defaults. Followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

Please see the link in my signature below for further details to getting your router to a good/known state by following the M&M Config and optionally/additionally, the Nuclear Reset guides. :)
Nice one, will give this a go. Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!