What's new

RT-AX88U New official firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.7977

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

please report back if there is any change.
Well i flashed Merlin and then did a factory reset and manual reboot but still the same issues. I will try again with all steps but surely this shouldn't be needed. What is really strange is that all devices connect OK but i see high latency and dropped packets. This seems to happen on all firmware after stock 6436. As soon as i roll back to 6436 all is well. The only reason is want to upgrade is that i don't want to be sat on old firmware in 12 months time and never be able to update because of these issues.

@Tommy Grace, did you also use new, never before connected to/used SSIDs? :)

Along with a minimal install without using a saved backup config file too?

No i didn't to be fair. I was hoping it wouldn't be needed. I have things like a house alarm connected to a guest SSID and it is a real pain to change the network it connects to. If that makes a difference then i am happy to try it. It just seems a bit drastic in order to get a working config.

Well i flashed Merlin and then did a factory reset and manual reboot but still the same issues. I will try again with all steps but surely this shouldn't be needed. What is really strange is that all devices connect OK but i see high latency and dropped packets. This seems to happen on all firmware after stock 6436. As soon as i roll back to 6436 all is well. The only reason is want to upgrade is that i don't want to be sat on old firmware in 12 months time and never be able to update because of these issues.

I tried all the same and only found problems on my two ax88u's until I rolled back to 6436. I rely on port forwarding as well if that helps narrow down the problem?

Do you think it is inevitable that i will need to do this at some point anyway if i want to upgrade the firmware? It just feels to me like there is something in the new code after 6436 that is causing issues as it happens on both stock and Merlin. I am hoping that it gets sorted ASAP. Also, do you typically upgrade on a regular basis or should i just stay on 6436 for a while? Everything works and i don't need any additional features. In all honesty this router is overkill for me but i wanted to get it anyway and i do like to tinker. Can't help it.

Thanks

@Tommy Grace, it isn't as drastic as it may look when typed out. :)

When was the last time this was performed? Many things may have changed since then.

Some of which may be.
  • Client-side microcode assumptions carried over from the original SSID usage.
  • Router-side microcode updates that have changed certain defaults or variables, not to mention the client-side driver updates that have invariably happened in the meantime too.
  • Your 'old' customizations that may no longer be applicable or optimal for the new firmware.
  • Even external changes like your neighbors updating their equipment which your old settings/assumptions can't adapt readily to.
To give the network (router and clients) the best chance of success, start at the beginning with flashing the firmware you want to use (again), resetting to full factory defaults and flashing it again using the link below to bypass the setup wizard and then doing a full/proper M&M config.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/reset-router-and-now-cant-login.62400/#post-556041

While it takes a long time to read and type this out, it is less than 20 minutes for bare defaults (which is what you want to test with). :)

I am on the latest Alpha 1. Yes, I update all the time. :)

I've had nothing but troubles since I bought this router. WAN connection drops in and out, most uptime I've had on my router is probably 2-3 days. I've disabled wireless ax, I'm gonna see if that works. And why does the router's system log say 'May 05' and the next line says 'Feb 27'? Clearly, there's something really wrong with this router / firmware. Oh well, At least now I have a glorified paper weight.

@braudrist, see the few posts above yours to get your router to a good/known state.

The date change is before the router syncs with a time server. ;)

When was the last time this was performed? Many things may have changed since then.

Some of which may be.
  • Router-side microcode updates that have changed certain defaults or variables, not to mention the client-side driver updates that have invariably happened in the meantime too.
  • Your 'old' customizations that may no longer be applicable or optimal for the new firmware.
  • Even external changes like your neighbors updating their equipment which your old settings/assumptions can't adapt readily to.
To give the network (router and clients) the best chance of success, start at the beginning with flashing the firmware you want to use (again), resetting to full factory defaults and flashing it again using the link below to bypass the setup wizard and then doing a full/proper M&M config.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/reset-router-and-now-cant-login.62400/#post-556041

While it takes a long time to read and type this out, it is less than 20 minutes for bare defaults (which is what you want to test with). :)

I have pretty much done this now and flashed Merlin 3.15 and it seemed better and more stable. However, just noticed that i was connected to the Lyra Mini AiMesh and not the main router. Once it moved back to the AX88U i am seeing dropped packets and higher latency. Driving me mad.

Does it seem like you are using two 'mesh' systems which may be conflicting somehow?

'Pretty much have done this now' is not actually doing it 'fully/properly' from my perspective. ;)

Does it seem like you are using two 'mesh' systems which may be conflicting somehow?

'Pretty much have done this now' is not actually doing it 'fully/properly' from my perspective. ;)
Sorry when I say AiMesh I have a single Lyra Mini as a Mesh node for the AX88U. Laptop was connected to that and everything was fine. I forced it back on to the AX88U and started seeing packet loss again.

My issue is that all this feels like a lot of effort to get a working config and firmware. I’m willing to try but surely it shouldn’t require this much messing about?

Last edited:
So the port forwarding bug can be reproduced reliably.
If you change any setting in router like assigning static IP under LAN, manually disconnect WAN and reconnect, change wireless setting........ the port forwarding stops working till you reboot the router. Kinda bummer.

So the port forwarding bug can be reproduced reliably.
If you change any setting in router like assigning static IP under LAN, manually disconnect WAN and reconnect, change wireless setting........ the port forwarding stops working till you reboot the router. Kinda bummer.

You realize this is an enthusiast forum not an official Asus support channel right? Complaining here achieves nothing, instead file a ticket with Asus.

You realize this is an enthusiast forum not an official Asus support channel right? Complaining here achieves nothing, instead file a ticket with Asus.
You do realize that I must have done that already before sharing my findings here?

Some of which may be.

You’re like the fire chief who sets fires.

Just stop. Changing SSIDs is a fool’s errand. There are no “microcode assumptions.”

Stop wasting our time and acknowledge the obvious: this firmware is buggy :rolleyes:

@JohnB_123, no, I'm not.

Look for the same type of answer from RMerlin himself if you don't believe it.

No doubt firmware is buggy. Stop adding to it with your incorrect assumptions. :)

@JohnB_123, no, I'm not.

Look for the same type of answer from RMerlin himself if you don't believe it.

No doubt firmware is buggy. Stop adding to it with your incorrect assumptions. :)

Has your “SSID change” ever fixed a single user who has issues post-firmware upgrade? Talk about “microcode assumptions.”

Please direct us to that thread or stop suggesting it.

@JohnB_123, I think you can use search just as well as I can?

I read every single post on this forum, I am not going to re-read it for your benefit. ;)

And yes, there are a few posts where changing SSIDs made the difference too. :)

@JohnB_123, I think you can use search just as well as I can?

I read every single post on this forum, I am not going to re-read it for your benefit. ;)

And yes, there are a few posts where changing SSIDs made the difference too. :)

Nice dodge, Fire Chief. You’re out of your depth.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!