What's new

RT-AX88U poor 2.4ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I also downgraded my RT-AX88U to 384.14 from 384.19 since my 2.4ghz devices could not be reached or got disconnected randomly. This was solved with 384.14 and now connections are stable.

any experience with the new beta firmware regarding this issue?

regards, quattroman

Last edited:
The latest beta versions are better, but I've had a few quirks with clients loosing connections and radios going haywire. I haven't tried the latest released version but my own thoughts are that you'd be better waiting for the next incremental release if you're in no rush - I suspect that by then the new 386 code will be getting pretty reliable.

I am sure it will get better....but it feels bad that Asus is not confirming that the 2.4ghz band is worse after the 384.14 update certainly for a tier1 router.

lets wait....

kind regards

i have the same findings. currrently on asus official 384_9579.
i installed an aruba pannel antenna which boosts range a little so most of my problems are gone.

5GHz has better coverage than 2.4Ghz. i will try the official 386_41249 tomorrow

i have the same findings. currrently on asus official 384_9579.
i installed an aruba pannel antenna which boosts range a little so most of my problems are gone.

5GHz has better coverage than 2.4Ghz. i will try the official 386_41249 tomorrow

very curious if that has solved the flaw 2.4ghz issues of the current firmware running on the rt-ax88u....

Version 386 based has fixed driver which is responsible for controlling wifi components, yes 2.4 GHz range is back to normal, I am using on my rt-ax88u and it working flawless. Do factory reset after updating to 386 and do NOT restore setting from file.

Version 386 based has fixed driver which is responsible for controlling wifi components, yes 2.4 GHz range is back to normal, I am using on my rt-ax88u and it working flawless. Do factory reset after updating to 386 and do NOT restore setting from file.

what happens if you do just a regular update and no reset?
i believe this is how it should work.

i am talking aboyt goinf from official 384_9579 to official 386_41249, no beta's or merlin

what happens if you do just a regular update and no reset?
i believe this is how it should work.

i am talking aboyt goinf from official 384_9579 to official 386_41249, no beta's or merlin

You can do it, however be ready for factory reset on first sign of trouble. There have been lot of changes in different components, but not limited to wifi, guest network, AiMesh, and wan MTU. Doing factory reset give you clean config to work with and remove possibility of having problem or at least the ones which can be avoided.

Its up to you for whatever path you want to take and decide what would be best. Factory reset is more work upfront, but it can save countless time troubleshooting down the road, that is why I recommended factory reset.

You can do it, however be ready for factory reset on first sign of trouble. There have been lot of changes in different components, but not limited to wifi, guest network, AiMesh, and wan MTU. Doing factory reset give you clean config to work with and remove possibility of having problem or at least the ones which can be avoided.

Its up to you for whatever path you want to take and decide what would be best. Factory reset is more work upfront, but it can save countless time troubleshooting down the road, that is why I recommended factory reset.

ok clear, thanks

Large jump from 384.xx level firmware to 386.xx level firmware. Even if it 'works', it won't work as well as it could if a full reset were performed. :)

New M&M 2020

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!