What's new

RT-AX88U Pro v.s. RT-AX86U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How about a new AX86U Pro from Amazon for $220?

@keefrto is not in the US. This router is actually cheaper here in Canada at around USD195 equivalent. Available at BestBuy. It was even lower few weeks ago.

Didn't you see the Marketplace examples I posted near Calgary and Edmonton in Alberta, Canada?

1705276650973.png

@keefrto is not in the US. This router is actually cheaper here in Canada at around USD195 equivalent. Available at BestBuy. It was even lower few weeks ago.

Didn't you see the Marketplace examples I posted near Calgary and Edmonton in Alberta, Canada?

View attachment 55526
yes i did mate and nothing but nothing will get me to do anything with Facebook, appreciate the direction and effort you are taking mind

Get a new AX86U Pro then. The current price is not the lowest though. You missed the sales at the end of 2023.

or get the ax86u direct from asus 299 plus tax but three year warranty?

Get a new AX86U Pro then. The current price is not the lowest though. You missed the sales at the end of 2023.
bestbuy.ca rt ax86u pro $259, I am running with a different firmware with the ac86u so this might eb good. I also think the 3 yr warranty is with asus regardless of bestbuy or not?

edit: Pulled the trigger on the BB deal at $259 plus tax for the ax86upro. Now i will have a Pro and S and a U. Thanks to all who have been chiming in. Now off to sell the RT AC86u to someone. #anytakers?

Last edited:
e8c41a95-d900-40d7-b9a1-58f714798df2_text.gif

200w.webp

Oh yes, I remember this moment like it was yesterday...

I'm the better looking one with the shades for who doesn't know. The blue one on the Pandora mission picture above.

Last edited:
Yes... that's it... however, if you have any "big box" stores like Costco or Sams Club (or of the sort), they usually sell the 4-pack for about the same price.

I swear I'm huMON... I am certainly, definitely, not a bot, because that would not be logical. Like @Tech9's private WAN IP that is broadcasting to the world. LOL
Nothing in my crappy costco.ca

Not exactly like this, but I've seen this with Asus as router - @Smokey613. Also inviting here @Viktor Jaep - Nest Wifi with Asus router. I've seen folks with Omada Wi-Fi and Zyxel APs as well. @tgl moved to UniFi completely.
I'm a bit late to the party, but hey I'll comment anyway. I think that if you just need one or two APs, Asus or similar gear is what to get. You're overpaying for the second AP because you don't need the router and controller functionality it has, but it's probably worth it for simplicity, ease of use, etc. SMB-grade gear such as Omada, Zyxel, UniFi is meant for people who need half a dozen or more APs, so that it completely doesn't make sense to pay for full-on routers in each AP. SMB-grade APs are cheaper than consumer AIO gear with comparable WiFi specs, but they need a router in front of them, and possibly a separate controller box.

Where's the crossover point exactly? Not sure, I've not really done the math. I went with UniFi for a residence where I need 3 APs, and maybe I should have stuck on the consumer side of things, but I'm not unhappy with my choice. If you need more than 3 APs I think you should seriously question whether Asus is for you.

thanks for commenting. I have an old 1972 house with concrete basement. Power box in basement where all the wiring for the house ethernet joins into one spot. I cannot move my cable modem because of where everything is so 2 asus routers upstairs and one downstairs captures the whole house and into the garden. I do get good coverage but it takes three for sure. Future, maybe go the way Tech9 suggests.

thanks for commenting. I have an old 1972 house with concrete basement. Power box in basement where all the wiring for the house ethernet joins into one spot. I cannot move my cable modem because of where everything is so 2 asus routers upstairs and one downstairs captures the whole house and into the garden. I do get good coverage but it takes three for sure. Future, maybe go the way Tech9 suggests.

Seriously... the Google Nest WiFi Pro has been a workhorse, and incredibly stable. I've had this setup since using the Google Nest WiFi for about 3 years, and upgraded to the Pro line about a year ago. AiMesh does seem to have its problems, and requires a bunch of manual intervention to keep it working/upgraded.

Now i will have a Pro and S and a U.

Don't forget to come back and share the experience. The information will be helpful to others in similar situation.

Looking forward to finding out how it all goes. Cheers

@keefrto, I wish you the best of luck with that RT-AX86U Pro you decided to chance with (to save $65).

I too am curious how it will go.

Blimey, BB delivered it today! Now there is an oilers game tonight so am gonna leave setting this up til later this week. 😀

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!