What's new

RT-AX88U Pro v.s. RT-AX86U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well, i did it and it seems to be settling down after the firmware upgrade. The thing is in the port status i now have the message the speed of your connection could be improved and try, a new cable, old device loose connection blah blah. I had my AC86U connected up before the switch and it never had that message. I have a cat 5e cable so i don't know what thats about. Also, my DDNS is now showing lots of letters and numbers followed by asuscomm.com. Never had that before even though i set up Cloudfare before. Thoughts?

Another also its not picking up some devices like my August connect lock which is 10 ft away and its hooked up to the basement main router, not sure why

Your August whatever it is - not Pro enough.

Your August whatever it is - not Pro enough.
I think he needs to upgrade to the August Pro Plus door lock... that should do it.

Another also its not picking up some devices like my August connect lock which is 10 ft away and its hooked up to the basement main router, not sure why
Sometimes these simple devices need a really dumbed-down 2.4Ghz connection... like 802.11b or whatnot. You should be able to check what level these things work at, and modify your config on your router as required.

Sometimes these simple devices need a really dumbed-down 2.4Ghz connection... like 802.11b or whatnot. You should be able to check what level these things work at, and modify your config on your router as required.
already set on 2.4, maybe it needs more time

Disabled 802.11ax on 2.4ghz and now it's picking up stuff including August Connect. Hurrah!

Well, i did it and it seems to be settling down after the firmware upgrade. The thing is in the port status i now have the message the speed of your connection could be improved and try, a new cable, old device loose connection blah blah. I had my AC86U connected up before the switch and it never had that message. I have a cat 5e cable so i don't know what thats about. Also, my DDNS is now showing lots of letters and numbers followed by asuscomm.com. Never had that before even though i set up Cloudfare before. Thoughts?
So no thoughts on the other stuff going on?

Well its been quite satisfying so far apart from the above points I noted that I have not figured out. The coverage is definitely wider around d the whole house will full wifi bars also showing on our cellphones with KO dropping. Of course I am waiting for something to go wrong but at this present time all appears well.

Ok so things are going well and if it ain't broke..... my question is my RT Ax86u is the current wireless router mode (my cable company bridged their router), do I now change my Pro to act as the wireless router mode and use the RT ax86u as an aimesh node instead?

my question is my RT Ax86u is the current wireless router mode (my cable company bridged their router), do I now change my Pro to act as the wireless router mode and use the RT ax86u as an aimesh node instead?
Its up to you. Most would likely put the better router as the main router and the older router as the AiMesh router. DO NOT however think you can export a saved router CFG file from the current RT-AX86U main router and import that CFG file into the RT-AX86U Pro. Doing so very well could introduce issues and bugs on the RT-AX86U Pro. It is best to manually configure the RT-AX86U Pro to have the same or similar settings as the RT-AXU router before making the switch. Then reset the RT-AX86U and configure it as the AiMesh node. Many will recommend using stock Asus firmware on the AiMesh node(s) rather than Asus-Merlin if one was previously using Asus-Merlin on the router.

Last edited:
Much appreciated

Its up to you. Most would likely put the better router as the main router and the older router as the AiMesh router. DO NOT however think you can export a saved router CFG file from the current RT-AX86U main router and import that CFG file into the RT-AX86U Pro. Doing so very well could introduce issues and bugs on the RT-AX86U Pro. It is best to manually configure the RT-AX86U Pro to have the same or similar settings as the RT-AXU router before making the switch. Then reset the RT-AX86U and configure it as the AiMesh node. Many will recommend using stock Asus firmware on the AiMesh node(s) rather than Asus-Merlin if one was previously using Asus-Merlin on the router.
Ok so I am going to show my ignorance here, what is stopping me from just unplugging them and just switching over? I am not tech minded when it comes to this so go easy on me with any responses.

just unplugging them and just switching over

You are going to end up with no network, no Internet - non-working router (configured as node, RT-AX86U Pro), non-working node (configured as router, RT-AX86U) and another non-working node (nowhere to connect, RT-AX86S). If you want your new RT-AX86U Pro as main router you have to reset it and reconfigure as router, then reset your both nodes and re-add them as nodes to the new router. Basically everything start all over again like new network configuration. There is no other way.

Completely makes sense. Been a sh#t week at work so am not going to eff this up right now especially cos of the SBowl this weekend. Thank you

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!