What's new

RT-AX88U Router + ZenWifi XT8 Nodes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oscill

New Around Here
I already own an RT-AX88U, and use it as the only router in my network. I would like to expand the network and add some wireless nodes using AiMesh. In particular, I'm thinking about a pair of the new ZenWifi XT8 to add as the nodes.

Would continuing to use the RT-AX88U as the main ROUTER and adding the two XT8 boxes as NODES make sense as a setup? i.e. would it work, and is that an optimal configuration?

Thanks for any advice!

I have an AX-11000 main router and just received my XT8 set yesterday. I hooked up one XT8 as a node and replaced my one AX-92U node. It was a little fickle with the connection and speed when I first set it up but after a couple of reboots of both the router and mesh, it seemed to be working fine. I didn't have time to really test speed last night but I'll probably do more testing this weekend. Connection has been stable today.

On the XT8 node I was able to connect 5G-2 @ 160 Mhz and 5G-1 @ 80 Mhz both giving Wifi6 signals which the AX-92U was only able to do on the 5G-2 channel.

Since the AX88U is a dual band router, were you planning to hook up the mesh units using ethernet backhaul?

Last edited:
I would consider the RT-AX92U instead if you are adding to an existing router, rather than pay extra for the ZenWifi kit.

Gah, Amazon are still showing 3 months for the xt8 set (uk)

I’m interested in the [pc > wired > xt8 node > WiFi6 backhaul > xt8 node > wired > pc] performance...can’t see anything online yet though.

I don't think the ZenWifi has officially launched yet.

I don't think the ZenWifi has officially launched yet.
Amazon shows availability Feb 4th for the unit in White (meh) and Feb 8th for black...
yet there is a $100 premium for black. ( poor marketing choice on their end... I will wait it out until the price = the while unit)

Amazon shows availability Feb 4th for the unit in White (meh) and Feb 8th for black...
yet there is a $100 premium for black. ( poor marketing choice on their end... I will wait it out until the price = the while unit)
The Amazon product page is confusing, but you can find the black version at the lower price if you look for the Amazon-shipping version available on Feb 16. (Look where you usually search alternate suppliers.)

High premiums tend to indicate resellers who are importing the device from another region, and try to gouge the market from it. Best you wait for the device to appear in your region, especially as wifi devices are region-specific. You should never buy a wifi device that is intended for a different region than yours.

I have an AX-11000 main router and just received my XT8 set yesterday. I hooked up one XT8 as a node and replaced my one AX-92U node. It was a little fickle with the connection and speed when I first set it up but after a couple of reboots of both the router and mesh, it seemed to be working fine. I didn't have time to really test speed last night but I'll probably do more testing this weekend. Connection has been stable today.

On the XT8 node I was able to connect 5G-2 @ 160 Mhz and 5G-1 @ 80 Mhz both giving Wifi6 signals which the AX-92U was only able to do on the 5G-2 channel.

Since the AX88U is a dual band router, were you planning to hook up the mesh units using ethernet backhaul?

Thanks for the info, Sonystyle44! Good to hear you got one working as a node. No, I was not planning on using a wired connection for the backhaul; Wifi only. I think that's where my confusion lies. I thought I read somewhere that if mixing dual and tri band in the mesh system, it's best to have the dual-band function as the router. I think this means the 5GHz channel on the router won't be available for devices (?) but the extra 5GHz channel on the nodes will be? If so, I think that would work for us since the nodes will cover the locations with the most usage in our home (and will allow some wired connections to devices that we don't currently have).

Last edited:
I would consider the RT-AX92U instead if you are adding to an existing router, rather than pay extra for the ZenWifi kit.

That's a good suggestion and I may do just that. But I do like the streamlined look of the XT8's over the AX92U, as they will be somewhat visible where they will be installed. I know...not a great criteria for selecting networking components - but I'm not the only one with opinions about how things look in our home ;-)

Thanks for the info, Sonystyle44! Good to hear you got one working as a node. No, I was not planning on using a wired connection for the backhaul; Wifi only. I think that's where my confusion lies. I thought I read somewhere that if mixing dual and tri band in the mesh system, it's best to have the dual-band function as the router. I think this means the 5GHz channel on the router won't be available for devices (?) but the extra 5GHz channel on the nodes will be? If so, I think that would work for us since the nodes will cover the locations with the most usage in our home (and will allow some wired connections to devices that we don't currently have).
I think if you have a dual band router and are going to connect it to the node via wifi it will share the 5g connection to the node so you'll still have 5g available to use on you router just less thoroughput.

Can I bump this ancient post? I'm in the same boat with owning an ax88u router and looking to expand to a mesh network. Thinking about the xt8's and the ax92u's, but it's unclear to me which is the better option with the ax88u. Both are tri-band nodes connecting to my dual band router. Other than cost, are there any benefits with one over the other?

Can I bump this ancient post? I'm in the same boat with owning an ax88u router and looking to expand to a mesh network. Thinking about the xt8's and the ax92u's, but it's unclear to me which is the better option with the ax88u. Both are tri-band nodes connecting to my dual band router. Other than cost, are there any benefits with one over the other?
Wired or wireless backhaul?
Wired is limited to 1gb between XT8s.
Wireless 160mhz is very flaky and impossible if you live near a weather radar limiting you to 2.4gbps backhaul.
Fronthaul is limited to 1.2gb but you can connect to backhaul for 2.4gb.

Can I bump this Thread ? Also, I have AX88U unopened in box and have a set (2 pak) of XT8's coming....strictly wireless backhaul planned.
Should I use one of the XT8's as the Main router, the other XT8's as node and AX88U as node or AX88U as Router and both XT8's as nodes ?
In hindsite should have ensured I had all Tri Band for better wired backhaul, but I dont.
House pretty big..3 story's 4200 sq ft, WiFi required for devices all over the place, including outdoor patios.....only thing I would connect to the main Router by LAN is my PC Tower.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!