What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bwing

Occasional Visitor
Good morning, I bought the ax89x router, and I am desperate, the asus firmware is a horror, a lot of bugs, and it does not go with IPTV correctly, in short a horror. I know it's complicated, but if it would be possible for the creator of the merlin firmware to give it a spin to accept routers with qualcomm it would be wonderful, I would donate whatever it takes: P.

Do you think it is possible that I will support it in the near future?

Cheers

OK, sorry for the inconvenience, thx for your post, then if asus dont correct this firmware, this router is dead.

I update: after several days without answering the asus technical service, today I speak with an agent and he tells me that the technical service will answer me, it turns out that I look at the incidents that I had open and they have closed them and of course they have not answered me at all They have simply told me that if I have another problem to contact them again.
This is laughable, € 400 for router and it is a very expensive paperweight, how sad.

The only firmware version where IPTV works for me is 3.0.0.1.386_22790. Recent ones have broken IGMP, therefore I get the usual 10 seconds of unicast packets for IPTV (Bell Canada), when it switches to multicast, the end result is Loss of sound & image.
I did not try calling ASUS, as they are mostly clueless with this type of issues.

1633270426585.png

The only firmware version where IPTV works for me is 3.0.0.1.386_22790. Recent ones have broken IGMP, therefore I get the usual 10 seconds of unicast packets for IPTV (Bell Canada), when it switches to multicast, the end result is Loss of sound & image.
I did not try calling ASUS, as they are mostly clueless with this type of issues.
I've had IPTV success since installing the 9.0.0.4.386_45140 beta build. With release 45130 I experienced the exact same behavior as you. Only difference in my IPTV setup is I have 'Enable Fast Leave' enabled.

Last edited:
Can you give me this beta build?.
It's already posted elsewhere on here:

In my experience, emailing Asus support (Mark Le seems to be quite diligent) results in good results if the issue is already somewhat known about and being worked on.

With this firmware the IPTV does not work correctly, the channels are displayed correctly and it works without problems, but when you try to stop the live show or go to the beginning of a program that is being broadcast or advance or delay the live show, it says that there has been an error and it does not. Communicated to asus support, to see what they answer.

This only happens with the channels that are broadcasting now, if you are looking for a program that was broadcast before it works perfectly. Strange thing

Any chance using the 1gb lan for dual wan to free up the 10gb ports? I sent a request to asus thru feedback but didn't get any response.

With this firmware the IPTV does not work correctly, the channels are displayed correctly and it works without problems, but when you try to stop the live show or go to the beginning of a program that is being broadcast or advance or delay the live show, it says that there has been an error and it does not. Communicated to asus support, to see what they answer.

This only happens with the channels that are broadcasting now, if you are looking for a program that was broadcast before it works perfectly. Strange thing
Live pause/buffer/catchup of IPTV, for me at least, works again with this beta. I have no doubt that you're still experiencing issues, but there has been some progress made. That's why this is still in beta (although how 45120 and 45130 ever got out into the wild as GMs is beyond me)... just continue to hammer Asus support with the technicals and fingers crossed, the actual next full GM (hopefully prior to then) will have this addressed.

Any chance using the 1gb lan for dual wan to free up the 10gb ports? I sent a request to asus thru feedback but didn't get any response.
I use the standard 1Gbps WAN for my Fiber internet modem, and the two 10Gbps ports to feed separate 10Gbps switches. All on-board 1Gbps LAN ports are used by other nearby devices.

I use the standard 1Gbps WAN for my Fiber internet modem, and the two 10Gbps ports to feed separate 10Gbps switches. All on-board 1Gbps LAN ports are used by other nearby devices.
That's for normal wan, but I use dual wan and the options for second one are only 10gb ports and usb modem, no lan.
wan.jpg

Last edited:
Live pause/buffer/catchup of IPTV, for me at least, works again with this beta. I have no doubt that you're still experiencing issues, but there has been some progress made. That's why this is still in beta (although how 45120 and 45130 ever got out into the wild as GMs is beyond me)... just continue to hammer Asus support with the technicals and fingers crossed, the actual next full GM (hopefully prior to then) will have this addressed.
I hope this, today asus support he told me that this is not a problem with the router, that I ask the operator if any special configuration is needed, we will have gotten rid of me. Because if with the old AX88U it works for me, and with this one it does not, come on man, it is clear that it is a firmware problem.

I hope this, today asus support he told me that this is not a problem with the router, that I ask the operator if any special configuration is needed, we will have gotten rid of me. Because if with the old AX88U it works for me, and with this one it does not, come on man, it is clear that it is a firmware problem.
Have you tried installing an older firmware release? I didn't have any IPTV issues until 45120. Releases 23012 and 22790 were ok for me (I did have an issue with 23012 whereby my external switch connected to the 10G SFP+ port wouldn't automatically restore its connection after a reboot of the router, but that was fixed in a beta build prior to 45120, which I used successfully for a number of months prior to the release of 45120).

Admittedly, the lack of attention and care it seems that a product like this receives from Asus is quite alarming. I didn't experience any of the many issues others on here reported with this router during the launch phase last year, so I considered myself lucky for a good while there. Hardware-wise, I feel like my router is doing perfectly fine. But 2021 has been a bit rough in terms of the quality of the software updates for this thing. The last three mainline releases have all had some major issue for me.

Have you tried installing an older firmware release? I didn't have any IPTV issues until 45120. Releases 23012 and 22790 were ok for me (I did have an issue with 23012 whereby my external switch connected to the 10G SFP+ port wouldn't automatically restore its connection after a reboot of the router, but that was fixed in a beta build prior to 45120, which I used successfully for a number of months prior to the release of 45120).

Admittedly, the lack of attention and care it seems that a product like this receives from Asus is quite alarming. I didn't experience any of the many issues others on here reported with this router during the launch phase last year, so I considered myself lucky for a good while there. Hardware-wise, I feel like my router is doing perfectly fine. But 2021 has been a bit rough in terms of the quality of the software updates for this thing. The last three mainline releases have all had some major issue for me.
Yes i use several versions of firmware, 22790, 23012, 45120, 45130 and the beta 45140 and not works, i sure that one option not configured or similar, i'm crazy.... i'm sad.

Yes i use several versions of firmware, 22790, 23012, 45120, 45130 and the beta 45140 and not works, i sure that one option not configured or similar, i'm crazy.... i'm sad.
I found the error, it's a joke, simply have to open the udp ports of the decoder, and it works!!!!!. With 45140 beta.

I have reviewed the merlin firmware of other routers and I see that it surely does not apply the firewall rules to the IPTV packets, do you know how you can do so that the firewall does not work under the tv vlan?

How to configure it, either through commands or otherwise

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!