What's new

RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How fast is your Internet? I stopped using QoS when mine went over 512Mbps as it's just not helpful when your Internet connection can handle all of the traffic without bogging down.

This article is centered on VoIP but the principles apply:

"QoS is generally not necessary when you have a high-speed broadband connection that has enough bandwidth for all of your applications at once."

Do you not have enough bandwidth for all your typical simultaneous usage?
I have 1 gig down but only 100up(which I just recently got for a lot more money since QoS isn't great). I host game servers and other things and people in my house can at times be uploading to things like dropbox/google drive and other stuff for work. The QoS was to basically make sure things like game servers & voice calls/video conferencing don't get weird when people forget to throttle things(which frankly is often). I don't see my upload improving much in the future either since I'm on the top package at this point and it's cable modem packages. Literally fiber a couple 100 feet away with symetrical gig for a lot cheaper but nooo they won't run it down the street. So frustrating..

Edit:

Guess I should also say the thing that frustrates me is I'm assuming this is a fairly simple fix as they are taking their base code and applying it to different routers which this router has a different chipset so perhaps something is handled slightly differently but I can't seem to get them to understand this(ASUS) and they keep wanting to say it's a hardware problem. Honestly, I've run for months now without it on but just sometimes I will get latency spikes and such when uploads occur. It doesn't last very long and with the upgraded package has become increasingly transparent but is still kind of annoying at times given how much power this router has and that it cost over $400 when I bought it. I would expect them to listen to at least try to replicate it in their lab or something. It takes very little time to replicate this bug and it's pretty easy to replicate.

Last edited:
that is pretty impressive network setup and outside me knowhow

but can i say in layman, you are doing a round trip using a LAN device to access another LAN device via the WAN internet?

Is it the same as using Asus router app to do remote management of AX89X via the AX89X wifi broadcast? Can you do remote management as such still?

Do you think shifting the priority around your LAN devices helps? I think that is Qos right? The new firmware somewhat gets confused doing Qos backforth on devices connected in the same LAN.
I've never used their app since I honestly don't like having anything like that accessible to the internet without me being able to control it extensively. Kind of freaks me out that network settings can be altered outside my network.

Shifting priorities has no effect(that I can tell though frankly, I've not tried moving literally every single option to every single level of the Adaptive QoS) and it does the same thing in normal QoS as well where they make you specify things manually.

I have 1 gig down but only 100up(which I just recently got for a lot more money since QoS isn't great). I host game servers and other things and people in my house can at times be uploading to things like dropbox/google drive and other stuff for work. The QoS was to basically make sure things like game servers & voice calls/video conferencing don't get weird when people forget to throttle things(which frankly is often). I don't see my upload improving much in the future either since I'm on the top package at this point and it's cable modem packages. Literally fiber a couple 100 feet away with symetrical gig for a lot cheaper but nooo they won't run it down the street. So frustrating..

Edit:

Guess I should also say the thing that frustrates me is I'm assuming this is a fairly simple fix as they are taking their base code and applying it to different routers which this router has a different chipset so perhaps something is handled slightly differently but I can't seem to get them to understand this(ASUS) and they keep wanting to say it's a hardware problem. Honestly, I've run for months now without it on but just sometimes I will get latency spikes and such when uploads occur. It doesn't last very long and with the upgraded package has become increasingly transparent but is still kind of annoying at times given how much power this router has and that it cost over $400 when I bought it. I would expect them to listen to at least try to replicate it in their lab or something. It takes very little time to replicate this bug and it's pretty easy to replicate.
I got you. I think you could benefit from QoS with that 100Mbit upload.

I've never used their app since I honestly don't like having anything like that accessible to the internet without me being able to control it extensively. Kind of freaks me out that network settings can be altered outside my network.

Shifting priorities has no effect(that I can tell though frankly, I've not tried moving literally every single option to every single level of the Adaptive QoS) and it does the same thing in normal QoS as well where they make you specify things manually.

IIRC the router app ask for permission to do some ddns settings, which i guess in principle is same as your setup so long you give a test using only the AX89X wifi.

There will be another revenue of reporting if their own app can no longer work with the current firmware because of qos bug.

IIRC the router app ask for permission to do some ddns settings, which i guess in principle is same as your setup so long you give a test using only the AX89X wifi.

There will be another revenue of reporting if their own app can no longer work with the current firmware because of qos bug.
Yeah, but they'll just say the same nonsense. That it's only my router with a hardware issue. "send it back"

I´m having only around 60Mbps download speed with OpenVPN server enabled on a 1Gb fiber connection. The upload speed is about 180Mpbs.

How are your OpenVPN server speed with this router?. I thought that with this router OpenVPN server speeds would be a lot faster thanks to his powerful processor.

Thanks for the response but I assume that if you are using NordVPN the router VPN is acting as client (Asus router is connecting to an external VPN).

My case is server mode (Asus Router creates a VPN server and I connect to it from outside as a client)

anyone know of any alternative firmware available for the AX89X? More specifically, to unlock channels 149-165 in UK? (now legal)

Anyone know why the RT-AX89X is, and has been, out of stock at many retailers, including on the ASUS web site. There are some that have it, but many of them have implemented significant price increases. Also, is anyone aware of the latest H/W Version?

Anyone know why the RT-AX89X is, and has been, out of stock at many retailers, including on the ASUS web site. There are some that have it, but many of them have implemented significant price increases. Also, is anyone aware of the latest H/W Version?
Newegg has some right now for $450. If I had to guess, I would say the impending release of the GT-AXE16000 is affecting the supply of these, as they may be less desirable once the new one is out. For hardware revisions, I am aware of A1, A2, and B1, but I do not know what the differences may be.

Hi, just bought mine last week on amazon(.fr) for 392€, it’s a b2 ! Didn’t now it exist. Didn’t turn it on yet.

Hi, just bought mine last week on amazon(.fr) for 392€, it’s a b2 ! Didn’t now it exist. Didn’t turn it on yet.

Thanks for the information regarding the hardware version. I see Amazon US in now advertising the RT-AX89X, sold and shipped by Amazon, for $449.99, with a June 9 delivery date. Are they that much in demand, or are there supply chain issues?

Both. There is nothing available right now that isn't wanted by multiple parties.

New firmware update is available..

ASUS RT-AX89X Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.47191
1. Fixed AiMesh issues.
2. Improve system stability.
3. Fixed Guest network related issues.
4. Fixed open VPN related issues.
5. Fixed DDNS related issues.

Edit:

Updated to it.. QoS still has it's bug.. honestly, I've not had any issues besides the QoS stuff so can't really test much.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!