What's new

RT-AX92U AIMesh Wifi instability on router node only or any node with wired connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PapaVictor

New Around Here
I have an AIMesh from Rt-AX92U running 3.0.0.4.386_41712 using the 5Ghz-2 backhaul. All mesh connections report as over 1Gb. On the 2.4Ghz side I have nine 802.11n capable Reolink cameras all with signal strength of between -48Dbm and -28Dbm and pings (when not streaming) of <10ms with <1ms jitter. I have set the 2.4Ghz channel to a fixed channel after surveying the landscape with Netspot. I have a Reolink RLN16-410 NVR on a wired connection. Smart connect is off.

There's a couple of really odd things I have (over the past 2 weeks) found.

1. Any cameras connected to the same node that the NVR is wired into drop out if the NVR output is viewed by a device (say iPad)
2. Cameras connected to the main RT-AX92U drop on and off the network, seemingly hunting MSC or switching between b/g/n although I'm just guessing at that.

It maybe my 2.4Ghz settings are sub-optimal (multicast CCK5.5 etc etc), but has anyone else seen instability of connection on either the main router or one with bidirectional wired traffic?

Here's the professional settings if any of these set an alarm bell...
1613219406274.png

A slight error in the above table. I have explicit beam forming off (as none of the devices support this) and Universal beam forming enabled.

I see three things I have different on my ac86u 2.4g settings

Beacon Interval on mine is 100 not 1000
DTIM Interval on mine is 3 not 1
I never use the MCS9 modulation scheme as it causes issues with my older 2.4g devices. I use MCS7 and everything is happy.

Thanks. I set the Beacon & DTIM to minimise these packets over 2.4, but is was at the standard settings with the same issues.

I never use the MCS9 modulation scheme as it causes issues with my older 2.4g devices. I use MCS7 and everything is happy.

Your MCS suggestion is excellent - in fact I did some research on MCS and as 7 is the maximum for 802.11n you'd thought that would be the best setting, however when I changed it two of the 2.4Ghz devices on the router just wouldn't connect (even after multiple restarts of router/nodes/clients).

The same devices would connect to nodes, which led me to believe that the main router is "just too busy to bother with these boring 2.4Ghz devices". Quite nonsensical as you point out MCS7 should be more reliable.

It may be an AX thing. I have two AX routers, a Greenwave C4000XG ( CenturyLink provided ) and an eero 6 but both are in their box sitting in a closet. My pair of RT-AC86U do everything I need. I did have to go back to Merlin 384.19 to get my network stable again. I know it’s illogical but I don’t think the new 386 code base is AC router friendly, at least not for me.

It may be an AX thing. I have two AX routers, a Greenwave C4000XG ( CenturyLink provided ) and an eero 6 but both are in their box sitting in a closet. My pair of RT-AC86U do everything I need. I did have to go back to Merlin 384.19 to get my network stable again. I know it’s illogical but I don’t think the new 386 code base is AC router friendly, at least not for me.
I have presumed the problems with my AX network of a) router too busy with WAN and 2x5Ghz streams to bother with 2.4 and b) nodes too busy with a high traffic wired connection for 2.4, are just the way it is. Cost me 2 extra RT-AX92U to "solve" the problem, one dedicated for WAN and router duties and one for the NVR and bridging. I can't see the issues being solved any time soon!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!