What's new

RT-AX92U - Firewall active, blocks all wifi traffic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

UKTIVO

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

Firstly, so pleased I found this site as this issue has been driving me mad.
I recently removed a Netgear Orbi 6 router / mesh system from my home network as it had quite a few issues. I replaced it with the Asus RT-AX92U Mesh.
All has been good except one issue.

If I activate the built in firewall, all wifi connected items are being blocked from transmission to the outside world. As an example, I can look at my Samsung S10+ phone connection and it has a wifi connection but no internet. The network and keyword filters are disabled.

If I turn off the firewall, then internet comes back with no issues.

I'm sure I had this firewall running before (two days ago) without any issue. I'm hoping there is a simple Noob fix that I've missed. Any pointers welcome..
Hopefully the screen shots I've uploaded will show...
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Dan.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 14.20.16.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 14.20.16.png
    371.5 KB · Views: 545
You shouldn't disable the firewall. The fact that doing so restores internet access for some of your clients suggests that you have disabled their access in some other part of the firmware. So look at things like parental control, time scheduling, Network Services Filter, etc.

It might be quicker to just factory reset the router and configure it from fresh.

You shouldn't disable the firewall. The fact that doing so restores internet access for some of your clients suggests that you have disabled their access in some other part of the firmware. So look at things like parental control, time scheduling, Network Services Filter, etc.

It might be quicker to just factory reset the router and configure it from fresh.

Thanks for the super quick reply...

Yes, I have 7 devices that have parental control active on them (34 items connected altogether), No time filters active. Do you know if these 7 devices could cause the issue of all wifi connections stopping when the firewall is active?

Just a quick update. I turned off parental controls then switched on the firewall again. Still the same result... All wifi traffic blocked.

Just a quick update. I turned off parental controls then switched on the firewall again. Still the same result... All wifi traffic blocked.
I think as this point I wouldn't waste any more time trying to diagnose it and just do a factory reset.

Before
you do that take a backup of your current configuration (Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting). After performing the factory reset do a minimal setup to prove that everything is now working. If it isn't you can then reload your backup file to get back to where you were previously.

I think as this point I wouldn't waste any more time trying to diagnose it and just do a factory reset.

Before
you do that take a backup of your current configuration (Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting). After performing the factory reset do a minimal setup to prove that everything is now working. If it isn't you can then reload your backup file to get back to where you were previously.

Luckily.. I like taking regual snapshots of backups.. So I just reverted back to a full working copy. I noticed even at this point I had no Firewall active.. so, I've turned off all parental controls, disabled all AIprotection such network protection etc. Saved that as a backup and then turned on firewall.. All is working OK now... so you were 100% correct. Something was messing it up. Not sure what...lol..

So my next question...

Do I need the AIprotection bit on or off?

Thanks again for the quick assistance. Much appreciated.

Do I need the AIprotection bit on or off?
You don't need it, it's entirely optional. Personally I've never used the Network Protection part of it as that is not included in my firmware (and my Parental Control section works completely differently). I've never felt that I was missing out on something.:D

You don't need it, it's entirely optional. Personally I've never used the Network Protection part of it as that is not included in my firmware. I've never felt that I was missing out on something.:D

OK.. well it seems to have fixed the issue. From what i can tell, it didn't like the fact that the network protection and parental controls were active BEFORE the firewall was switched on..

So, reverting to a working backup without firewall active.. turning off everything protection based. saving and then turning on the firewall first.... seems to have worked as one by one, i can switch the services on and everything is working.. If anyone else is reading this later on.. just remember to save after every service is switched on and tested..

Thank you colintaylor for your help. appreciated.
Dan

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!