What's new

RT-AX92U loses internet connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pgershon

Regular Contributor
I have an issue with my AX-92U routers losing their WAN connection on a semi-regular basis (a few times/week - irregular intervals). WAN IP is set by DHCP. Using Optimum 1Gig non-fiber for service - Optimum router set to bridge mode. Normally the ASUS router reads "Internet status:Connected" and "WAN IP:XX:XX:XX:XX". Periodically, we lose internet connectivity and the router admin home page displays "Internet status: no connection". This can happen when the home activity is very limited (like at 2:03 AM yesterday or when multiple users are using their laptops. The fix seems to be reset the ASUS AX92U - it comes back showing connected with an IP address. As best I can tell, the Optimum internet does not lose its connectivity during this period (I can connect to internet through Optimum router even while ASUS shows no IP).

Questions:
1) Any known reason why ASUS router would lose its WAN IP address?
2) Is there a way to tell the ASUS router to check (say every 30 mins) to see if its got a WAN IP and to reset if it does not (currently the ASUS resets daily at a set hour but I need more frequent checks if connectivity to internet lost)?
3) Is there a better way to reset the WAN address?

Attached is the ASUS log for about the time connectivity was lost (about 2:03 AM):

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    434.4 KB · Views: 159
I've had the same problem with an ac86u. Bought new and a few months after started exhibiting the same behaviour. Full reset (both via firmware and wps) and still no way of correcting it. Decided to return it as I lost confidence with a router that lasted only a few months...

Found a setting that seems to help so far. Changed to DHCP Continuous mode on WAN page. It seems that the unit had been in aggressive mode, and both aggressive and normal mode time out after a few tries if no IP obtained. Continuous makes more sense since my ISP seems to have tried periods when no IP provided, leading to timeout and ASUS showing no connection, even after service restored.

Trying this one again. I have tried DHCP continuous mode, aggressive mode and normal mode. Same problem regardless. WAN IP becomes "disconnected" after several days. Not sure what the cause is - seems to be spontaneous. The only way to fix is reboot - and attempt to get DHCP to restart without a reboot fails.

FPM pool 1 invalid token error could be something to do with the wireless drivers on your router.

I don't understand why your logs report a tainted kernel whereas my AX92's don't. Surely, it would either be all AX92u's have proprietary drivers or none do.

A small minority of users have this WAN issue. You need to figure out what's different about your AX92u's compared to those without the issue.

If you haven't already, try a full hardware reset (WPS method) and manually load the latest firmware on both units.

Last edited:
Might be the same issue I am having with my AX88U (click). Unfortunately no solution to it.
Mine is a bit different in that my ASUS loses its WAN IP only (from ISP's DHCP)- I have full wired and LAN access to my network. Software reboots correct the problem. Nothing else i can do software wise will fix. Tried Aggressive, Normal and Continuous modes with same result. I cannot determine what is causing the crashes. Just went 6 days with no crash - its possible that the problem was fixed with new ASUS firmware - also possible problem stopped because my son was away for the long weekend (he is big internet data user).

FPM pool 1 invalid token error could be something to do with the wireless drivers on your router.

I don't understand why your logs report a tainted kernel whereas my AX92's don't. Surely, it would either be all AX92u's have proprietary drivers or none do.

A small minority of users have this WAN issue. You need to figure out what's different about your AX92u's compared to those without the issue.

If you haven't already, try a full hardware reset (WPS method) and manually load the latest firmware on both units.
I am not sure what you mean by "tainted kernel". Can you be more specific about where you see that on my log.

I have 3 RT92U units. All using the latest firmware released last week. No loss of WAN IP since update. But my son was away for weekend so this week is a better test. It seems that the issue occurs mostly during large data use, which has in the past included the nightly firmware update check (I deactivated this when I last update firmware in case it was a contributor to my issue. I also suspect that the issue relates in some way to my Optimum cable modem

I think I am having a similar issue on my ZenWifi XD6 device. I also have Optimum cable modem, just had them put it into bridge mode to see if that helps. I tried messing with the DHCP query frequency but also with no luck.

Found this. Going to try. I believe its a fix but I need to figure out how to do from a Mac.

Solution: Uninterruptable power supply (UPS). This fixed the problem. I noticed that when the lights to my bathroom are turned on, sometimes my computer screen flashes.

sounds like you may have loose/corroded electrical connections or possibly an overloaded circuit when you get that response. An electrician should check the wiring connections and loads. Fires can start from overheating.

Switching devices on and off generates transients, which seemed to affect the router. Also, about once a year an outlet somewhere in my house fails. So far, no fires. I think the outlets are designed to fail safely. I bet the outlet in the bathroom is next.

turning lights on should not cause a significant voltage droop. There could be an issue with the wall wart AC/DC converter for the router or the wiring / devices have issues or there are issues with the power service.
Usual culprits for noise are motors and their starting devices. A bad starting capacitor will lead to excessive current draw and the starting circuits emit noise on all frequencies.

If it is only noise, a simple filtering device between the wall and the router will do. If it is voltage droop, either local or by the electricity provider, then the UPS is needed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!