What's new

RT-AX92U on Shaw (Canada) Blue Curve Modem, unable to use bridge mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andsoitgoes

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum to post in.

I have a Shaw Blue Curve XB6 Modem, it's crap. I have a LOT of devices and the Blue Curve just could not handle them. After trying to get the XB7 I was forced to factory reset the Shaw modem, that was a month ago and it wasn't until last night that I actually got the ability to connect to the internet back on MANY devices.

What I WANT to do is connect my router to the Blue Curve in bridge mode. I see no reason why this isn't the best solution, and I've confirmed that I am able to connect our wireless boxes to my secondary mesh network. As it is now, I have the router connected through the modem set up under the DMZ, far from ideal.

The issue I'm having is when I turned bridge mode on in my XB6, I lost all internet connection on any connected clients. the AX92U is able to ping and tracert fine, but none of the connected clients are able to get ANY internet access, at all. I believe they die after a few hops on Tracert, but it was late and I didn't do a ton of troubleshooting, as I needed it back online for my wife to do work.

My problem is that I'm knowledgeable enough to cause major damage and have no idea why, which may be the case here. My years working as a network tech were in the 90s/00s and a LOT has changed since then.

Is there something that could be explaining why this is happening? The Router shows that it has a WAN address that starts with 24, when my actual external IP starts with 70.

I'd love any advice, happy to provide any other information that you might need. Thanks in advance.

Is your router connected to port 1 of the Shaw equipment?

See this article from Shaw. Does not seem to be any other special requirements.

Is your router connected to port 1 of the Shaw equipment?

See this article from Shaw. Does not seem to be any other special requirements.

I think there’s an issue on Shaw’s end. I have been hunting down to figure out what’s happening and came upon this:

“So as not to leave this thread hanging... after some more investigation it turns out the "limited connectivity" I described was likely due to a problem with a Shaw node I was being routed through (specifically when my router was assigned the "bad" IP address mentioned above). At least, that is according to a tech support chat I had. Things appear to be working well now at least.”

now whether that’s actually the case or not, who tf knows. But I’m going to try my best to sort it out. The problem is I can only work on this stuff late at night when my wife is in bed. And I need to have it up and working for my wife the next day so she can do her job.

Ohhh, how working from home has changed things. At the height of things, I had four people teleworking from home. Now we have two still teleworking.

Glad to see you got it working.

Ohhh, how working from home has changed things. At the height of things, I had four people teleworking from home. Now we have two still teleworking.

Glad to see you got it working.
Shoot. So sadly nope. No joy. Called my isp. They initiated bridge mode themselves, I had so many hopes. Made sure there was a second IP address, no dice. Tried doing a 30 second unplug of both the ISP modem and the router, and even doing that I still have the same issue.

Ping/Tracert work fine. Nothing else works.

This is the SysLog from my router during the bridged mode trial:

Apr 18 19:53:48 rc_service: ntp 1686:notify_rc restart_diskmon Apr 18 19:53:48 disk_monitor: Finish Apr 18 19:53:48 disk monitor: be idle Apr 18 19:53:48 dhcp client: bound 70.XX/255.255.252.0 via 70.XX for 3994 seconds. Apr 18 19:54:11 crond[1247]: time disparity of 1554648 minutes detected Apr 18 19:54:20 rc_service: httpd 1248:notify_rc start_autodet Apr 18 19:54:22 rc_service: httpd 1248:notify_rc start_webs_update Apr 18 19:54:39 kernel: bcm_i2c: bus 0: Failed to detect SFP: 100 retries exhausted Apr 18 19:55:28 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7058)]periodic_check AM 3:27 Apr 18 19:55:28 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7122)]could not retrieve firmware information: webs_state_update = 0, webs_state_error = 0, webs_state_dl_error = 0, webs_state_info.len = 0 Apr 18 19:55:34 rc_service: httpd 1248:notify_rc chpass Apr 18 19:55:34 rc_service: httpd 1248:notify_rc restart_ftpsamba Apr 18 19:55:34 lldpd[2658]: cannot get ethtool link information with GLINKSETTINGS (requires 4.9+): Operation not permitted Apr 18 19:55:36 FTP Server: daemon is stopped Apr 18 19:55:36 Samba Server: smb daemon is stoped Apr 18 19:55:37 rc_service: httpd 1248:notify_rc chpass;restart_time;restart_wireless;restart_cfgsync Apr 18 12:55:37 hour monitor: daemon is starting Apr 18 12:55:37 hour monitor: daemon terminates Apr 18 12:55:38 kernel: wl0: chanspec: 0x1001 (1) Apr 18 12:55:38 kernel: wl1: chanspec: 0xd024 (36) Apr 18 12:55:39 acsd: eth5: Selecting 2g band ACS policy Apr 18 12:55:39 wlceventd: wlceventd Start... Apr 18 19:55:41 ahs: [read_json]Update ahs JSON file. Apr 18 12:55:42 acsd: eth5: selected channel spec: 0x1005 (5) Apr 18 12:55:42 acsd: eth5: Adjusted channel spec: 0x1005 (5) Apr 18 12:55:42 acsd: eth5: selected channel spec: 0x1005 (5) Apr 18 12:55:42 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1005 (5) for reason APCS_INIT Apr 18 12:55:42 kernel: wl0: chanspec: 0x1005 (5) Apr 18 12:55:43 acsd: eth6: Selecting 5g band ACS policy Apr 18 12:55:43 kernel: wl1: chanspec: 0xd024 (36) Apr 18 12:55:43 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth7: Auth XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0 Apr 18 12:55:44 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth7: Assoc XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0 Apr 18 12:55:44 acsd: eth6: selected channel spec: 0xe22a (44/80) Apr 18 12:55:44 acsd: eth6: Adjusted channel spec: 0xe22a (44/80) Apr 18 12:55:44 acsd: eth6: selected channel spec: 0xe22a (44/80) Apr 18 12:55:44 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0xe22a (44/80) for reason APCS_INIT Apr 18 12:55:44 kernel: wl1: chanspec: 0xe22a (44/80) Apr 18 12:55:44 acsd: eth7: Selecting 5g band ACS policy Apr 18 12:55:45 acsd: eth7: selected channel spec: 0xe39b (161/80) Apr 18 12:55:45 acsd: eth7: Adjusted channel spec: 0xe39b (161/80) Apr 18 12:55:45 acsd: eth7: selected channel spec: 0xe39b (161/80) Apr 18 12:55:45 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0xe39b (161/80) for reason APCS_INIT Apr 18 12:55:49 roamast: ROAMING Start... Apr 18 12:55:59 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7122)]could not retrieve firmware information: webs_state_update = 0, webs_state_error = 0, webs_state_dl_error = 0, webs_state_info.len = 0 Apr 18 12:57:22 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth7: Auth XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0 Apr 18 12:57:22 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(556): eth7: Assoc XX, status: Successful (0), rssi:0 Apr 18 12:58:25 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7122)]could not retrieve firmware information: webs_state_update = 1, webs_state_error = 1, webs_state_dl_error = 0, webs_state_info.len = 0

I can't do any more today, however my goal is to try bridged mode again and use my mesh network (that are currently set up as an access point) to see if that works. I'm expecting it for sure won't, but maybe it's worth a shot?

I just don't know where else to turn.

Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum to post in.

I have a Shaw Blue Curve XB6 Modem, it's crap. I have a LOT of devices and the Blue Curve just could not handle them. After trying to get the XB7 I was forced to factory reset the Shaw modem, that was a month ago and it wasn't until last night that I actually got the ability to connect to the internet back on MANY devices.

What I WANT to do is connect my router to the Blue Curve in bridge mode. I see no reason why this isn't the best solution, and I've confirmed that I am able to connect our wireless boxes to my secondary mesh network. As it is now, I have the router connected through the modem set up under the DMZ, far from ideal.

The issue I'm having is when I turned bridge mode on in my XB6, I lost all internet connection on any connected clients. the AX92U is able to ping and tracert fine, but none of the connected clients are able to get ANY internet access, at all. I believe they die after a few hops on Tracert, but it was late and I didn't do a ton of troubleshooting, as I needed it back online for my wife to do work.

My problem is that I'm knowledgeable enough to cause major damage and have no idea why, which may be the case here. My years working as a network tech were in the 90s/00s and a LOT has changed since then.

Is there something that could be explaining why this is happening? The Router shows that it has a WAN address that starts with 24, when my actual external IP starts with 70.

I'd love any advice, happy to provide any other information that you might need. Thanks in advance.

Do you have the DMZ set up on your XB6 or your AX92u? Do you need to use DMZ?

If you don't need to use DMZ, you can enable the bridge mode on XB6. Once you enable bridge mode, it will disable the router functions of the XB6. Once that's done, you should be able to set up the AX92u and it should auto detect your configuration.

Do you have the DMZ set up on your XB6 or your AX92u? Do you need to use DMZ?

If you don't need to use DMZ, you can enable the bridge mode on XB6. Once you enable bridge mode, it will disable the router functions of the XB6. Once that's done, you should be able to set up the AX92u and it should auto detect your configuration.
Bridge mode doesn’t work. I turn it on and the issues I mention above start.

I currently have the ax92u connected to my blue curve as a cascading router/double nat. I added the ax92u to the blue curve’s DMZ to at least give a little bit of freedom.

what I cannot seem to sort is why I can’t get internet access on my ax92u when I enable bridge mode. Again I can ping and tracert perfectly, but it’s impossible to access the internet for any devices. Wired or wirelessly. The only thing that has worked was when I plugged my laptop in the second xb6 port and got internet while in bridged mode.

I hope that’s a bit clearer?

When you plugged your laptop in to XB6 while bridged, what was your IP address, 192.x, 10.x, 24.x, 50.x, 70.x...? If your laptop was a assigned a public IP and was working properly then it sounds like bridge mode is working properly.

XB6 uses a "pseudo bridge mode" (can still access admin at 10.0.0.1), so bridged XB6 will get a public IP and your router will also get a public IP which may explain the IP discrepancy.

I used my old AC3200 with bridged XB6 and now XT8 with bridged XB7, with no issues.

I didn't read anything above about factory resetting your Asus router during this process and that seems like the logical next step.

Bridged XB6 should be power-cycled between any new device connections to release cached public IP

If router is still not working after reset, you could try entering your laptop MAC in the Asus Wan section, which should let your router pull the same IP that was previously assigned to your laptop.

Good luck.

Bridge mode doesn’t work. I turn it on and the issues I mention above start.

I currently have the ax92u connected to my blue curve as a cascading router/double nat. I added the ax92u to the blue curve’s DMZ to at least give a little bit of freedom.

what I cannot seem to sort is why I can’t get internet access on my ax92u when I enable bridge mode. Again I can ping and tracert perfectly, but it’s impossible to access the internet for any devices. Wired or wirelessly. The only thing that has worked was when I plugged my laptop in the second xb6 port and got internet while in bridged mode.

I hope that’s a bit clearer?

So, just to make sure I'm clear -

Set up 1 - Using DMZ on your XB6, you direct the inbound packets to the AX92u -- and you have internet access.

Set up 2 - If you set up XB6 in bridge mode, you get no internet access on AX92u. However, in bridge mode, if you hook up a laptop to the second port of the XB6, the laptop gets internet access.

Your goal is to use the XB6 in bridge mode (set up 2) and not DMZ (set up 1).

If I have it correct --

If in bridge mode, your laptop is getting internet access, from the XB6, you should be able to get internet access on the AX92u. Easiest thing to do is first check the cable. If your laptop is getting internet access, then use the same cable that you used from theXB6 to the laptop and remove it from the laptop and connect it to WAN port on the AX92u. Connect the laptop to the AX92u and you should be able to connect to the AX92u's webpage by typing router.asus.com (or 192.168.50.1) in a web browser -- and from there, you would do Quick Internet Setup -- (button at the top of the page). AX92u should auto detect settings. If that doesn't work, factory reset the AX92u, reboot the modem, and then try to set up the AX92u again.

Here's the instruction on putting the XB6 into bridge mode:

How to configure bridge mode on the BlueCurve Gateway (shaw.ca)

Here's the manual for AX92u

RT-AX92U|WiFi 6|ASUS Global

So, just to make sure I'm clear -

Set up 1 - Using DMZ on your XB6, you direct the inbound packets to the AX92u -- and you have internet access.

Set up 2 - If you set up XB6 in bridge mode, you get no internet access on AX92u. However, in bridge mode, if you hook up a laptop to the second port of the XB6, the laptop gets internet access.

Your goal is to use the XB6 in bridge mode (set up 2) and not DMZ (set up 1).

If I have it correct --

If in bridge mode, your laptop is getting internet access, from the XB6, you should be able to get internet access on the AX92u. Easiest thing to do is first check the cable. If your laptop is getting internet access, then use the same cable that you used from theXB6 to the laptop and remove it from the laptop and connect it to WAN port on the AX92u. Connect the laptop to the AX92u and you should be able to connect to the AX92u's webpage by typing router.asus.com (or 192.168.50.1) in a web browser -- and from there, you would do Quick Internet Setup -- (button at the top of the page). AX92u should auto detect settings. If that doesn't work, factory reset the AX92u, reboot the modem, and then try to set up the AX92u again.

Here's the instruction on putting the XB6 into bridge mode:

How to configure bridge mode on the BlueCurve Gateway (shaw.ca)

Here's the manual for AX92u

RT-AX92U|WiFi 6|ASUS Global

I actually did all those steps last night and again today. I confirmed the ax92u has all the appropriate WAN settings (a 70. IP address and the dns servers match, too.)

I did full factory resets of both devices as well hoping that it would solve something but the second I try to connect anything to the ASUS router i hit a brick wall.

I have also tried a few different cables, making sure they’re cat 5e (just weeded out a ton of unlabeled or cat 5 cables), and I can get my full 300 meg plus download when running a speed test.

I just don’t understand what’s happening when it gets put into bridged mode. I don’t get why I can ping and tracert but not browse the internet.

also: thank you for helping. I really appreciate it more than I can say.

I actually did all those steps last night and again today. I confirmed the ax92u has all the appropriate WAN settings (a 70. IP address and the dns servers match, too.)

I did full factory resets of both devices as well hoping that it would solve something but the second I try to connect anything to the ASUS router i hit a brick wall.

I have also tried a few different cables, making sure they’re cat 5e (just weeded out a ton of unlabeled or cat 5 cables), and I can get my full 300 meg plus download when running a speed test.

I just don’t understand what’s happening when it gets put into bridged mode. I don’t get why I can ping and tracert but not browse the internet.

also: thank you for helping. I really appreciate it more than I can say.
Can you share a screen shot of your WAN - Internet Connection tab from AX92u?

Also on the Network Map tab - what does the "Internet Status:" state?

Last edited:
Okay, so some updates - I dug out my old TP Link C2600 from the closet. Spent some hours removing OpenWRT which... fun, anyway - gone. Set that up. Plugged internet into the WAN Port and BOOM, full internet.

WTF

The BIG difference that I saw is that the TP Link got a 24.* IP address, whereas the Asus router gets a 70.* IP address. This is the only thing that I can figure out would be the reason that everything is crapping out. At least that's all I can suss out.

That said, I did try hooking my laptop up again and I was only being dished out IPV6 addresses, but considering that I was able to get things working with another router I'm not going to concern myself with that.

Here's screenshots from both the TP Link success and the Asus failure. I stupidly didn't capture the Shaw modem's page during the success of the TP link, just during the Asus failure.

Hopefully this helps shed some light? This HAS to have something to do with the incorrect WAN address, right?

Another thing to note:

Asus Router - Gateway matches the WAN except for the last number. The Wan IP ends in 254, the Gateway ends in 1. This is completely different on the C2600 which there is no match except the first 2 octets. DNS matches exactly. Subnet Mask also matches.

So at this point it's the IP address and Gateway that are entirely different on the C2600 which successfully can access the internet. I BELIEVE when I was trying my laptop the other night when it worked I was also getting a 24.* IP address.

But what do I do with this information?

Attachments

• 2021-04-19 (1).JPEG
    2021-04-19 (1).JPEG
    64.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 2021-04-19.JPEG
    2021-04-19.JPEG
    79.8 KB · Views: 212
  • Asus Router WAN Settings.JPEG
    Asus Router WAN Settings.JPEG
    44 KB · Views: 210
  • Shaw Modem WAN Settings.JPEG
    Shaw Modem WAN Settings.JPEG
    37 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
The lease time on your 70.x IP is only one hour, should be 2 days, so maybe there is an issue with the 70.x IPs

Take the TPLink Internet MAC (EC-08-6B-BA-FD-41) and add it to your WAN page as in the attached screenshot and apply. This will give your Asus the same IP that the TPLink received.

If Asus doesn't take the MAC, change the - to : EC:08:6B:BA:FD:41

wmac.jpg

Last edited:
The lease time on your 70.x IP is only one hour, should be 2 days, so maybe there is an issue with the 70.x IPs

Take the TPLink Internet MAC (EC-08-6B-BA-FD-41) and add it to your WAN page as in the attached screenshot and apply. This will give your Asus the same IP that the TPLink received.

If Asus doesn't take the MAC, change the - to : EC:08:6B:BA:FD:41

View attachment 33304
I agree, the simple fix would be to try to clone the mac address of the router that's being replaced. Some ISPs provide limited MAC address. So when an additional router is added, it won't accept it.

In this case it's maybe a bad block of IPs (1 hour IP assignment).

Power cycling the modem will release any cached device MAC and assigned IP

Last edited:
I tried cloning the MAC address using : between them as that’s what happened when I tapped “clone” while connected to my computer, sadly I ended up with a message saying DHCP error from ISP.

do you think switching to dashes would help? I won’t be able to try again until this evening, but what happens if that doesn’t work?

As for power cycling, did that and actually fully unplugged the Shaw modem for a significant period of time to see if it would release things. Still no joy. But after I reset the c2600 it worked like a dream. Immediately.

I will try the mac clone tonight, but it’s just confusing as to why this is happening the way it is.

No dice - I would really love any other thoughts. Is there a setting I could be missing? It seems to be pulling all the right info from my ISP so I'm at a total loss.

Could my ISP somehow be blocking the router? Even with the cloned MAC address? And what would cause the mac address to be accepted by the router but then get a DHCP error from the ISP?

I'm both trying to troubleshoot and understand....

In the end, if I'm getting good NAT from my Xbox, B from my Switch and I use things like Jump Desktop and VNC with an account to connect (and can still do so) - is this just an unnecessary step? Is the router doing all the good it needs to without having to bridge my modem? Or is the difference substantial enough that I just don't notice the extra issues that having it cascaded is causing?

No dice - I would really love any other thoughts. Is there a setting I could be missing? It seems to be pulling all the right info from my ISP so I'm at a total loss.

Could my ISP somehow be blocking the router? Even with the cloned MAC address? And what would cause the mac address to be accepted by the router but then get a DHCP error from the ISP?

I'm both trying to troubleshoot and understand....

In the end, if I'm getting good NAT from my Xbox, B from my Switch and I use things like Jump Desktop and VNC with an account to connect (and can still do so) - is this just an unnecessary step? Is the router doing all the good it needs to without having to bridge my modem? Or is the difference substantial enough that I just don't notice the extra issues that having it cascaded is causing?

I'm still not clear what is working and what isn't. It sounds like you can connect a computer to the AX92u and it gets internet access. It also sounds like you can connect your Xbox and it gets internet access. It also sounds like these devices can access IPv6 but not IPv4 through AX92u. Is this correct?

Does your start up page show that your "Internet Status" is connected to the or disconnected to the internet? The picture below would be if you're disconnected. If you're connected the "Internet Status" it will say "Connected"

1619195589089.png

[Troubleshooting] Failed Internet access through router | Official Support | ASUS Global

Okay so when I have my modem in bridged mode, I’ll have my asus router connected and the picture I showed above that had a 70.* WAN address

when I do this however I cannot browse the internet From any connected device. Not the Xbox, nothing. I can only ping and tracert.

All devices are being served IPV4 addresses (ipv6 is disabled but turning this on hasn’t helped)

when I clone the MAC address the only error I get is the one I mentioned, the DHCP from isp error.

But again to confirm i can get the ASUS router connected, I do get the details from my Isp and they all seem to be correct and other than the IP, everything matched inside and outside bridged mode.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!