What's new

RT-AX92U still on 3.0.0.4.386.46061 since januari '22. Did Asus really stopped supporting this model ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anyone having issues with this firmware keeping Nest thermostats online? Every other device has no issues, but both thermostats periodically show offline in the Nest app and/or say they can't retrieve weather data. This wasn't an issue with the old Netgear Nighthawk. Powercycle the thermostat or the AC92U that's serving as a router and all works for a few hours, then the problem pops up again.

Here's something to keep you entertained while Asus work on a new release for this model:

RT-AX92U_3.0.0.4_388_21224-g702a50f_ubi.w

I have compiled this off the GPL code they shared with @GNUton . This is entirely untested, and while it is original Asus code, keep in mind that they haven't fully tested that model on this specific code either, so this is entirely unsupported (both by them and myself).

Here's something to keep you entertained while Asus work on a new release for this model:

RT-AX92U_3.0.0.4_388_21224-g702a50f_ubi.w

I have compiled this off the GPL code they shared with @GNUton . This is entirely untested, and while it is original Asus code, keep in mind that they haven't fully tested that model on this specific code either, so this is entirely unsupported (both by them and myself).
@RMerlin: Firstly, thank-you for this, not just for supplying a compiled firmware file, but for confirming that Asus are at least still supporting this model.
I have a node which I will load it on and see how it fares. Dare I ask if this is a precursor to you supporting this model in the near future? I have had an rt-n66u, 2 ac68u and an ac86u which were all using your excellent firmware and I am sincerely grateful for all of your hard work over the last 12+ years. I succumbed to a deal with a pair of ax92u about 12 months ago and whilst it has been a good setup, there are some niggles which I know I can tweak with your firmware and I have not been brave enough - yet - to try GNUton's.

Last edited:
Dare I ask if this is a precursor to you supporting this model in the near future?
@GNUton is the one who is working on supporting that model. I just compiled the GPL code he had received from Asus for this model.

Installed this version yesterday and till' now everything is working almost perfect. There've been some issues with degrading speed performance on 5 Ghz -2 on channel 100 and it took me a while since I've discovered this problem. After I've changed to channel 104 everything returned to normal.

Also, there's the a new option which didn't have been present in previous firmwares - VPN Fusion - Great addition.

Tried also Wireguard and it just works. (Internet + intranet).

The only thing that I'm missing it's some VPN Status - especially for Wireguard. Is there any chance to see some basic info like - clients connected, duration time and speed?

Great job @RMerlin and a BIG Thank you!

I will try it on one of my AX92U's (AiMesh node) and let you know the results.

Last edited:
I will try it on one of my AX92U's (AiMesh node) and let you know the results.
On my AIMESH nodes this firmware outperforms stock, stabile and fast! 3 weeks uptime, no reboots!

On my AIMESH nodes this firmware outperforms stock, stabile and fast! 3 weeks uptime, no reboots!
Hmm. My ax92u node kept causing errors and at one point my router had red wan light caused I believe by this. I suspect that both need to be on the 388 firmware. I downgraded the node to GNUtons firmware and no errors since

I've loaded @RMerlin 's build and overall it seems good but it looks like my RT-AX92U mesh node's 5GHz-2 radio randomly turns off but no issues with 5GHz-1. Sort of troublesome since that's my Wi-Fi 6 connectivity for this node. My setup simple, just a RT-AX88U with a single RT-AX92U as wired mesh node with all radios available for clients. The RT-AX88U is running the latest Asus vanilla release.

Last edited:
I've loaded @RMerlin 's build and overall it seems good but it looks like my RT-AX92U mesh node's 5GHz-2 radio randomly turns off but no issues with 5GHz-1. Sort of troublesome since that's my Wi-Fi 6 connectivity for this node. My setup simple, just a RT-AX88U with a single RT-AX92U as wired mesh node with all radios available for clients. The RT-AX88U is running the latest Asus vanilla release.
Strange issue! No problem at all with my two AU92U and AX86U/TUF-AX5400. What version are installed on your 88?

Strange issue! No problem at all with my two AU92U and AX86U/TUF-AX5400. What version are installed on your 88?
It's running 3.0.0.4.388_20558. After this last power cycle it seems to have sorted itself out. Odd that the radio scanning I'm using would not show one specific AP though. After noticing my phone (S22) wasn't on Wi-Fi 6 I've also been doing some spot checks and it seems like the there's been more of an affinity for devices to select the 5GHz-1 radio. I've got over 40 devices, 23 of which are currently connected to the 92U and not a single one is on the 2nd radio according to the Asus app.) I don't recall ever seeing that as the case on 386.

It'd be nice if there was a way to see more metrics/logs for the nodes than currently provided.

At least they changed their website so the firmware doesn't appear that outdated, the release date has disappeared.
Waiting for both ax11000 and ax92 388 branch firmwares to improve stability, for no apparent reason a random ax92 device (have 3 of them in mesh and a primary ax11000) starts to expose a non-secured access point (cabled mesh) and the device needs to be power cycled as it doesn't respond to anymore to a system restart.
Hope the Asus team will not forget all users who have invested in these devices, I certainly won't

Haha, indeed. Removed the original date. Shameful and proves Asus realises and admits they are heavily underperforming here. Well, it was 18th of january 2022 as I remember well. So we can nearly celebrate its 1 year birthday !

At least they changed their website so the firmware doesn't appear that outdated, the release date has disappeared.
Waiting for both ax11000 and ax92 388 branch firmwares to improve stability, for no apparent reason a random ax92 device (have 3 of them in mesh and a primary ax11000) starts to expose a non-secured access point (cabled mesh) and the device needs to be power cycled as it doesn't respond to anymore to a system restart.
Hope the Asus team will not forget all users who have invested in these devices, I certainly won't
Same setup here (although with 8 ax92) and it's kinda sad seeing the slow rollout of FW updates compared to a few years ago. It's clearly getting worse and some devices just lose support out of nowhere (like my 4G-AC68U that I used before getting fiber). I'm seriously considering selling all asus equipment and build a unify mesh network that has much more functionality out of the box via GUI and gets regular updates.

Wow--almost a year, now, since the last update. That is very sad. I have to reboot my system every night, otherwise my guest networks stop working. If I don't see something new by the end of the month, I'm going to buy something new.

Wow--almost a year, now, since the last update. That is very sad. I have to reboot my system every night, otherwise my guest networks stop working. If I don't see something new by the end of the month, I'm going to buy something new.
You can grab 3.0.0.4.388_21224 right here.

Thank you, Merlin !

Have been running the above firmware for over a month now, no issues so far.
5G radio has been rock solid !

Thank you, Merlin !

Have been running the above firmware for over a month now, no issues so far.
5G radio has been rock solid !
Same here. Clean run so far. I have not had to fire up my AC88 AIMesh node or try to run WAN Link Aggregation, so that is on the agenda for next week once my house guests are gone.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!