What's new

RT-BE96U Tri-Band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pursuant to CFR 2.1043, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. hereby requests a Class III Permissive Change.

Modification:
  1. Adding 2.4G, 5G U-NII-1~U-NII-3 bands.
  2. Adding 6265, 6585, and 6905MHz frequencies for 320MHz in 6G.
  3. Adding Bridge Extender Mesh mode for the device
  4. Decline the power of EHT40 TXBF 4T1S 6165MHz.

Note:

1. The above modificaitons were made through SW change (SW version: 3.0.0.6_102_3543) and the SW upgrade is available to devices currently in the field.

2. No hardware changes are made.

3. No prior Class II Permissive Changes have been filed

4. No changes to the sottware Distribution and Security Procedures have been made.

Attachments

• C3PC-Letter-6481236.pdf
    221.7 KB · Views: 49
well I tried the 6e ghz band with the intel 200 whatever adapter the range was terrible went back to 2 5ghz radios at least they work , not soldon 6E " will wait for this new 7 fantasy . And I don´t use personal trackers ie ¨cellphones"

First off that doesn't have 6ghz. You need an ax210 for that to work. Essentially you just swapped the router for a different model with the same client tech.

First off that doesn't have 6ghz. You need an ax210 for that to work. Essentially you just swapped the router for a different model with the same client tech.
sorry mr expert it is on a computer i rarely use . Lets see how good your memory is when you are 70 and have had 2 strokes and a few seizures where they put you in an induced coma for 3 or 4 days it is an ax210 I have , it is i one of 7 computers i have excuse me for not remembering the exact model . Iḿ not perfect

@jerry6

All you had to do is correct it with the model info.

Go into the properties of he adapter and make sure 6ghz is enabled and the preferences include 6ghz.

Also, there are some nuances with ax where sometimes if all of the SSID don't match it won't negotiate the higher band.

No point in jumping in until we have the clients to back it up. I'm due to get a new phone this year (Pixel 8 Pro probably), so that combined with a new NIC and possibly a new laptop and I might consider upgrading at some point next year if they come out with an equivalent to the AX86U.

Estimated Arrival 6/02/23

There are some early reviews of the RT-BE96U on Newegg here:

Based on those, it seems that users are encountering Wifi range issues on both the 6Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

And inconsistent speeds even with multi gig fiber broadband.

Same issue posted on the Asus ROG Forum here:

Wonder if this is due to the lack of the RangeBoost feature on non-ROG routers...

I've just received mine and currently testing it as an AiMesh node to the RT-AX89X, will do the full switchover when I've some free time next week.

Initial thoughts are that the Wifi range seems to be roughly on par with the ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000 (which does not have RangeBoost) but not as good as the ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000 (which does have RangeBoost).

There are some early reviews of the RT-BE96U on Newegg here:

Based on those, it seems that users are encountering Wifi range issues on both the 6Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

And inconsistent speeds even with multi gig fiber broadband.

Same issue posted on the Asus ROG Forum here:

Wonder if this is due to the lack of the RangeBoost feature on non-ROG routers...
Thanks! Helpful.

I am waiting for this come to the UK and then make a decision about the next WiFi7 Router. Anything on the big brother? Although this one is already pretty expensive...
Also, it would be great to find out if Merlin will support this model.

Ok, I've made the RT-BE96U the main router. It has decent Wifi speeds around 1800 Mbps for both uploads and downloads for the 5Ghz band and seems to play nicely with my AXE, AX and older Wifi devices with decent stability (no random disconnections).

However, there are issues with the LAN download/upload speeds similar to what I've previously experienced with the GT-AXE16000, namely seeing speeds capped at around a quarter of the 10Gbps fiber broadband I'm allocated. And this time, not even turning off AiProtection, QoS and all the networking monitoring functions helped improve wired speeds. But as I've also shifted over to another ISP with XGS-PON (10 Gigabit Symmetrical Passive Optical Network) on CGNAT, I'm wondering if it's an ISP issue rather than the router's.

Continuing to test and troubleshoot when there's free time.

The poor 6Ghz band Wifi range issue mentioned by the other reviews seems to be due to the fact that AFC (Automated Frequency Coordination) isn't available yet for Wifi 7 routers according to Dong Knows Tech.

Anything on the big brother? Although this one is already pretty expensive...
Nada so far given the lack of detailed spec updates on both the GT-BE98 and GE-BE98 Pro's webpages.

namely seeing speeds capped at around a quarter of the 10Gbps fiber broadband I'm allocated.
A quarter of 10 Gbps = 2.5 Gbps, which is a very specific number.

Do you have any Ethernet link along the way that`s only 2.5 Gbps? If your provider is 10 Gbps but the connection between your ONT and router, or between your router and your clients are only 2.5 Gbps, that would explain where that number came from.

A quarter of 10 Gbps = 2.5 Gbps, which is a very specific number.

Do you have any Ethernet link along the way that`s only 2.5 Gbps? If your provider is 10 Gbps but the connection between your ONT and router, or between your router and your clients are only 2.5 Gbps, that would explain where that number came from.
Thanks for the reply. I've used the same ethernet cabling (CAT 6 runs and CAT8 patch cables) as my previous setup with the RT-AX89X as the main router and a pair of GT-AXE11000s as the AiMesh nodes through a Zyxel switch's 10G ports. I got up to 9.2Gbps d/l and d/l speeds with that configuration even with AiProtection turned on. But that was on a previous ISP which provided 10Gbps fiber broadband via active ethernet (point-to-point) with no modem or ONT needed. The current ISP's XGS-PON puts an ONT back into the equation.

The RT-BE96U's four cores barely registered CPU usage in the GUI's status screen when I was doing the Ookla speed tests that yielded ~2.5Gbps.

Testing wired speeds directly out of the ONT with a Thunderbolt 3 to 10GBaseT adapter was a confusing experience as sometimes I'd get the 2.5Gbps speeds while other times I'll get speeds above 6-7Gbps.

So I'll be asking the ISP's tech support questions on the ONT, CGNAT and whether it's responsible for capping my wired speeds and if getting a static IP might help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!