What's new

RT-BE96U Tri-Band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Again, check your link rate. Don't assume that a quality cable will systematically ensure a 10 Gbps link. Asuswrt' network map will show you the link rate of all connected Ethernet ports.

Testing wired speeds directly out of the ONT with a Thunderbolt 3 to 10GBaseT adapter was a confusing experience as sometimes I'd get the 2.5Gbps speeds while other times I'll get speeds above 6-7Gbps.
Not every Ookla test server will be able to provide 10 Gbps of throughput. In fact I suspect that very few do (if any at all). Test with other methods, such as downloading from multiple sources in parallel to see the aggregated throughput. And double check that negotiated link rate. If the ONT lacks any UI to check, some ONT will show a different LED colour based on the link rate (my Nokia ONT does). Otherwise, either a plugged router or TB NIC should report it within the OS.

Again, check your link rate. Don't assume that a quality cable will systematically ensure a 10 Gbps link. Asuswrt' network map will show you the link rate of all connected Ethernet ports.

Not every Ookla test server will be able to provide 10 Gbps of throughput. In fact I suspect that very few do (if any at all). Test with other methods, such as downloading from multiple sources in parallel to see the aggregated throughput. And double check that negotiated link rate. If the ONT lacks any UI to check, some ONT will show a different LED colour based on the link rate (my Nokia ONT does). Otherwise, either a plugged router or TB NIC should report it within the OS.
Just checked the link rate in the RT-BE96U's Network Map and you're right, the ONT is only connecting at 2.5Gbps to the 10G WAN port. When I use the RT-BE96U as an AiMesh node, both 10G ports have their full link rates (10G) I think.

I'm wondering if it's because I uploaded the saved configuration settings of an GT-AXE11000 (while I was using it as a main router and the 2.5G port for WAN) to the RT-BE96U while setting that up as the main router. Figured since they were both tri-band routers the settings would port over smoothly more or less...

To try and fix that, I've done two hard factory resets on the RT-BE96U (the SIM ejector pin method and holding down the WPS button before turning on the router method) hopefully that will clear out all settings including the GT-AXE11000's configuration file I uploaded.

My ONT's a Nokia as well and it's 10G port's link rate seems to be 1G/10G (according to the spec sheet) and the port's LED is showing green. Tried testing the ONT again with the 10G port directly connected to a Thunderbolt 3 to 10GBase-T adapter then to my PC and although speeds were still all over the place, I managed to hit 7.6Gbps at least after a couple of tries. The ISP's tech support told me that at the moment, the only router they had verified to be fully compatible with their ONT was TP Link's Archer AXE300 which I received as part of the subscription package. Trying to sell that off to someone else as I can't do AiMesh with it or use AiProtection. They'll get back to me over the next few days.

My second RT-BE96U just arrived and I'll try to set that up tomorrow (after work) as the main router with it's 10G WAN port connected to the 10G port on the ONT to see if that makes a difference...hopefully.

My second RT-BE96U just arrived and I'll try to set that up tomorrow (after work) as the main router with it's 10G WAN port connected to the 10G port on the ONT to see if that makes a difference...hopefully.

Be really interesting to see how it performs as a mesh node. Please can you keep us updated. Especially as Amazon announced the EERO Max 7 yesterday, which would be almost a comparable price https://eero.com/shop/eero-max-7

Thanks again for the link rate tip in the ASUSWRT Network Map, something which actually never crossed my mind previously. I've got both the main router and AiMesh node up and running with 10G ethernet backhaul. The link rate indicated on the Network Map went back to 10G for the main router's WAN port when I checked a couple of hours ago. A few hours later, after I called the ISP's tech support telling them the issue seems to have resolved itself, the link rate apparently dropped back to 2.5G at the WAN port. I suspect there might be some bandwidth capping o the ISP's part and am looking into it further.

Thanks again for the link rate tip in the ASUSWRT Network Map, something which actually never crossed my mind previously. I've got both the main router and AiMesh node up and running with 10G ethernet backhaul. The link rate indicated on the Network Map went back to 10G for the main router's WAN port when I checked a couple of hours ago. A few hours later, after I called the ISP's tech support telling them the issue seems to have resolved itself, the link rate apparently dropped back to 2.5G at the WAN port. I suspect there might be some bandwidth capping o the ISP's part and am looking into it further.
Have you tried Mesh instead of the wired backhaul yet? :) Just for research purposes?

Be really interesting to see how it performs as a mesh node. Please can you keep us updated. Especially as Amazon announced the EERO Max 7 yesterday, which would be almost a comparable price https://eero.com/shop/eero-max-7
I did use it as an AiMesh node to my RT-AX89X last week and there were no major hiccups. 10G ethernet backhaul. Wifi was pretty stable though as mentioned earlier.

Now with two RT-BE96Us at opposite ends of the house in AiMesh, no dead zones so far. I had some initial problems with the AiMesh node not functioning properly, meaning all of my wired and wifi devices were still connecting to the main router at the other end and not the node. Removed the node and did another hard factory reset before pairing it again and that seemed to fix the issue. I'll have to do some adjustments with the roaming assistant to ensure the clients don't hang on to either router's Wifi signal for too long before switching over.

Have you tried Mesh instead of the wired backhaul yet? :) Just for research purposes?
The two of them couldn't be paired for AiMesh from where they were wirelessly so I used wired. The same issue happened with my GT-AXE11000s. I guess it's the structure of my house (two bathrooms in the middle with pipes and water interference) that makes wireless backhaul a no go for me.

I'm thinking you'll probably want a quad-band router like the GT-98/Pro or the ZenWifi BQ16 Pro you're looking for wireless backhaul, that extra band definitely helps.

I did use it as an AiMesh node to my RT-AX89X last week and there were no major hiccups. 10G ethernet backhaul. Wifi was pretty stable though as mentioned earlier.

Now with two RT-BE96Us at opposite ends of the house in AiMesh, no dead zones so far. I had some initial problems with the AiMesh node not functioning properly, meaning all of my wired and wifi devices were still connecting to the main router at the other end and not the node. Removed the node and did another hard factory reset before pairing it again and that seemed to fix the issue. I'll have to do some adjustments with the roaming assistant to ensure the clients don't hang on to either router's Wifi signal for too long before switching over.
How did you manage to forcee the devices to roam to the closer node? Is this all orchestrated by the 2 Asus? or is it also a setting you have to change into each device? Thanks

How did you manage to forcee the devices to roam to the closer node? Is this all orchestrated by the 2 Asus? or is it also a setting you have to change into each device? Thanks
Hi yes, if you go into the AsusWRT's WebGUI, click on the Wireless tab, then Professional tab, there's a row named Roaming Assistant where you can adjust the RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator) values to 'tell' the router when to disconnect your client and switch to the other router.

I usually use -75dBM.

RSSISignal strength
> -65 dBmExcellent
-65 dBm to -75 dBmGood
-75 dBm to -85 dBmFair
-85 dBm to -95 dBmPoor

Hi yes, if you go into the AsusWRT's WebGUI, click on the Wireless tab, then Professional tab, there's a row named Roaming Assistant where you can adjust the RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator) values to 'tell' the router when to disconnect your client and switch to the other router.

I usually use -75dBM.

RSSISignal strength
> -65 dBmExcellent
-65 dBm to -75 dBmGood
-75 dBm to -85 dBmFair
-85 dBm to -95 dBmPoor
Fantastic! learnt something new :)

There's a new firmware update out a couple of days ago.

ASUS RT-BE96U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.106_32460
Version 3.0.0.4.106_32460
61.81 MB
2023/09/26
1. Fixed AiMesh connection issues.
2. Fixed cannot access WireGuard Server if enable DMZ.
3. Fixed while disabling/enabling WireGuard server will cause the router roboot.
4. Minor GUI bug fixes.

I've been sending feedback and diagnostic data to Asus Tech Support as well.

As far as I'm aware 802.11be isn't available for use in the uk until 2024. I'm willing to be proved wrong though.
A point to note other wireless devices already available in the uk still can't use the 6 GHz frequencies, a good example being intel's AX210 wifi card. Until this whole shebang is sorted no-one can legally use the band here for domestic wifi. Right now 6GHz can only be used on outdoor antennas with a licence.

There's a new firmware update out a couple of days ago.

ASUS RT-BE96U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.106_32460
Version 3.0.0.4.106_32460
61.81 MB
2023/09/26
1. Fixed AiMesh connection issues.
2. Fixed cannot access WireGuard Server if enable DMZ.
3. Fixed while disabling/enabling WireGuard server will cause the router roboot.
4. Minor GUI bug fixes.

I've been sending feedback and diagnostic data to Asus Tech Support as well.
Some issues with Wifi speeds after the firmware update. I used to be able to get Ookla tested speeds of up to 1800 Mbps standing in front of the router with the 5Ghz band, that has now been roughly halved to 900 Mbps-ish. Wifi range on the 5Ghz band seems to be now affected by closed doors, so speeds slow to a crawl 10-50Mbps range after I close the door to the study or one of the bedrooms. Reminds me of the time the GT-AXE11000 had its second firmware update and the 5Ghz band's Wifi signal wasn't able to penetrate closed doors at all and people had to revert to the initial firmware to rectify the issue.

Wired speeds seem fine though at up to 8.3Gbps u/l and d/l on the new XGS-PON plan roughly in line with what Dong Knows Tech had gotten with his XGS-PON plan with Sonic in California. There seems to be more overhead when using a Passive Optical Network even on its latest XGS-PON iteration. On my old 10Gbe active ethernet plan, that ran up to about 9.3 Gbps u/l and d/l.

But it's still an improvement over the RT-AX89X I think. Conducting 10Gbe speed tests on that router would routinely see close to 90% CPU utilisation on each of the four cores. The RT-BE96U didn't break a sweat with CPU utilisation barely at 7-8% for each of the 4 cores.

Sending more feedback and diagnostics to Asus Tech Support.

Some issues with Wifi speeds after the firmware update. I used to be able to get Ookla tested speeds of up to 1800 Mbps standing in front of the router with the 5Ghz band, that has now been roughly halved to 900 Mbps-ish. Wifi range on the 5Ghz band seems to be now affected by closed doors, so speeds slow to a crawl 10-50Mbps range after I close the door to the study or one of the bedrooms. Reminds me of the time the GT-AXE11000 had its second firmware update and the 5Ghz band's Wifi signal wasn't able to penetrate closed doors at all and people had to revert to the initial firmware to rectify the issue.

Wired speeds seem fine though at up to 8.3Gbps u/l and d/l on the new XGS-PON plan roughly in line with what Dong Knows Tech had gotten with his XGS-PON plan with Sonic in California. There seems to be more overhead when using a Passive Optical Network even on its latest XGS-PON iteration. On my old 10Gbe active ethernet plan, that ran up to about 9.3 Gbps u/l and d/l.

But it's still an improvement over the RT-AX89X I think. Conducting 10Gbe speed tests on that router would routinely see close to 90% CPU utilisation on each of the four cores. The RT-BE96U didn't break a sweat with CPU utilisation barely at 7-8% for each of the 4 cores.

Sending more feedback and diagnostics to Asus Tech Support.
So reverting both the main router and AiMesh node to the initial firmware release version 3.0.0.6.102_31763 fixed all the Wifi range and speed issues even behind closed doors to the other rooms in the house. Speeds on the 5Ghz band are back to the aforementioned 1800Mbps directly in front of each unit and 1300-1600Mbps when I close the door to each room for my Wifi 6E and 6 clients. GT-AXE11000 deja vu.

However, re-flashing the initial firmware also led to the AiMesh node factory resetting itself and the main router's WAN being unable to connect to the ONT even after I rebooted both router and ONT. So I had to factory reset the main router as well, configure it from scratch and add back the AiMesh node before everything worked out.

Last edited:
...And I don´t use personal trackers ie ¨cellphones"
"Personal Trackers" Exactly!!
Its interesting to see the uptick in so-called "Dumb Phone's" which seem to be making a come-back; as more People realise the trade-off between mobile device convenience Vs. 24/7 Location, Health, Browser, tracking etc etc..

The RT-BE96U's four cores barely registered CPU usage in the GUI's status screen when I was doing the Ookla speed tests that yielded ~2.5Gbps.

Have you or do you plan to do a CPU stress test with multiple 10G ports? I’m curious as I’m planning for the GT-BE98 Pro and it uses the same CPU. Hoping it does better than the AXE16000.

My local BB only offers Netgear and TP-Link Wi-Fi 7 routers ATM. Seems like Asus keeps pushing back the launch date each time I check on them.

Have you or do you plan to do a CPU stress test with multiple 10G ports? I’m curious as I’m planning for the GT-BE98 Pro and it uses the same CPU. Hoping it does better than the AXE16000.
Nope, I'm already quite satisfied with the wired results I posted on Monday. 8.3 GBps u/l and d/l on the XGS-PON plan and 9.3Gbps u/l - 9.1Gbps d/l on the 10G Active Ethernet plan after reverting to the initial firmware release. Barely 6-7% CPU utilisation on each of the four cores. All with AIProtection fully enabled. Last year, the GT-AXE16000s couldn't do that and thus were both promptly returned.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!