1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-N16 Bricked

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by splfriends, Jul 7, 2018.

1. splfriends

splfriends New Around Here

Hi Guys,

Need help in recovering my RT-N16, its bricked by power fluctuations I believe. Could not enter into rescue mode. Completed 30-30-30 procedure. Only power LED glows, wifi LED glows for some seconds while try to enter rescue mode. I've only serial access to router (TTL - USB adapter). Following is current scenario.While try to enter Recover mode, LED blinks SLOWLY, but TFTP server fails to load.
    If I try normal boot following errors are shown during booting.

I can access CFE, following provided CFE details. Need help in activating interfaces so that I can flash an initial DD-WRT image(.TRX). CFE allows limited commands. I'm not sure how to activate interface from there.

Not sure about NVRAM, though I can set some parameters, tested it reflected in next booting. I'm not expert in Linux, though could run some commands if guided. Requesting your help in recovering the RT-N16.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. splfriends

Hello Guys, need your help in recovering my router. Thanks

4. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

I tried to help a friend recover their RT-N16 in a similar state a few years ago and could not get it working and he had to replace the device. Upgrading to AC is worth spending the money for though.

5. splfriends

Thanks for your suggestion. Do you mean even JTAG can not be useful to recover?

6. Prowler_gr

Prowler_gr Occasional Visitor

7. Pierino

Pierino Very Senior Member

I recovered an rt-n16 using jtag but it was years ago. When it was worth it. Now, it’s just not economically feasible.
    Google dd-wrt rt-n16 jtag.

8. splfriends

@Prowler_gr
    Thanks for suggestions, but from CFE I'm not able activate interface. As this is old CFE ver. 1.0.37, there are not much of commands available. I believe the NVRAM has been corrupted.

@Pierino
    For me JTAG is less than 1/20 of a new RT-N 16 / 66. Thats why I'm still looking for JTAG solution. Only I want ensure the hardware is not damaged, else even JTAG won't be helpful.

9. Sanna1967

Sanna1967 Regular Contributor

If you are using AsusWrt firmware or Rmerlin, this procedure is useless , this is for Tomato or DD-wrt fw
    Try this :
    https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/
    and the tool is here : ( same tool for all models ) :
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC3200/Rescue_2000.zip

To clear nvram : Turn on the router with the WPS button pressed, wait 15 secs(leds will flash rapidly), then release WPS button.Wait 2 min and reconfig.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  10. splfriends

I'm using AsusWrt. only power LED responds.
    WPS button could not help, power LED does blink fast.
    With RESET button, It does not stay in recovery mode. The power LED blinks slowly till the time RESET is pressed.
    I did erase NVRAM in CFE mode that did not help.

Edit:
    I've had tried asus discovery rescue tools, did not help

11. Pierino

Pierino Very Senior Member

What country do you live in? Curious why you would even consider buying a new rt-n16 in 2018.
    I’ve got a Netgear r7000 I can’t get $50 for.

12. splfriends

RT-N16/66 almost at same price @180-190$. while JTAG is less than 10$ in India. Also Netgear R7000 @150$.

13. splfriends

Requesting someone to please share a stable copy of RT-N16 NVRAM after removing his device specific parameters like MAC address.

14. splfriends

Finally some development. I was able to flash DD-WRT TRX from USB
    Wifi LED glows, though WiFi yet, no Ethernet either.
    Interfaces does not exist error
    I'll try upgrade to a later version to see if that helps.
    Any help in identifying why Ethernet fails would be very much helpful

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!