What's new

Asus 4G-N16 DDNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nanko

New Around Here
My recently purchased Asus 4G-N16 setup for DDNS fails.
Register with No-ip only completes when hitting the Apply button.
After this, Internet connection works fine.
However as my router will be placed on an unmanned location, WAN IP address changes will make the router unreachable.
Anyone with a solution?
No response from Asus yet.

Have a look in the logs around the time of a wan disconnection, see if an update us triggered.
Also, bear in mind it can take some minutes for no-ip to actually update it's dns to the new ip, and then a little longer to propogate.

It may also pay to test your connection to see if it's "CG-NAT", as this can present a problem for DDNS!

Most 4G/5G WAN providers will filter inbound connections across IPv4/v6 as a security concerns.

Outbound connectivity will work just fine, including things like the DDNS agent to register the IP with services like No-IP...

Here in the UK (and many other countries) its common that mobile internet providers use CG-NAT for the IPv4 address. The problem is that the internet-facing IPv4 address can be shared with multiple other users making IPv4-based DDNS useless.
*My own mobile uses CG-NAT in the 10.x.x.x range.

Have a look in the logs around the time of a wan disconnection, see if an update us triggered.
Also, bear in mind it can take some minutes for no-ip to actually update it's dns to the new ip, and then a little longer

Thanks all for the replies!
Let me summarize the problem.
The Asus 4G-N16 Router only Registers with No-ip when I press the DDNS Apply button in the Router DDNS menu.
As the router will be on an unmanned location, it will be unreachable when the WAN IP Address changes.
The question is how to circumvent/solve this problem.
(Also Telnet default userid/password admin/admin doesn’t work. As I would try a script to hit the DDNS Apply button)

My own mobile uses CG-NAT in the 10.x.x.x range.

Getting a 10-dot is not CG-NAT, it's just regular old RFC1918 private addressing for IPv4, and that is very common in carrier space...

CG-NAT is very specific, and uses the 100.64.0.0/10 range.

I need a Public IP address as I’m using Port-Forwarding.
This doesn’t work with a Private range IP address.
I’m already fine now, got a Public IP Address , thanks.
Except for the DDNS Register problem with my Router.