1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-N18U firmware 3.0.0.4.382.50018 (Feb 9) - Anyone try it yet?

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by maxbraketorque, Feb 12, 2018.

1. maxbraketorque

maxbraketorque Senior Member

Just curious if anyone has tried it yet and had any issues, especially with the upgrade process itself.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. ChrissDeejay

ChrissDeejay New Around Here

Yes .. I have tried it, unfortunately.
    I don`t know which are the benefits, besides some skin upgrade in the interface management page, but, other than that, there is an significantly decrease in wi-fi performance.
    There is a sky-high lag and all devices that previously connected to 300Mbps, now register just to 144Mpbs.
    I don`t know how to fix it ... since a fw downgrade is now not possible, at least not in the official SW form.

4. maxbraketorque

That's unfortunate. Have you tried a factory reset and then manually reentering your router settings? @arthurlien, do you have any comments or suggestions here?

5. ChrissDeejay

Unfortunatelly I didn`t have the patience to reset it and afterwards to re-do all the settings (which are a lot).
    I`ll do it in the weekend.
    PS: other than this issue with WiFi, everything else seems to work ok ...

6. maxbraketorque

It will be interesting to see if it helps.

7. ChrissDeejay

Hello all,

So, last night I took my chances and reset it to default.
    Then I have re-done my settings and the situation is like this :
    - initially I had the same issue, my laptop connecting at 144Mbps.
    - Afterwards, I have noticed that even if the "Control Channel" is set to "Auto", the channel 1 is automatically selected although there were another 4 networks on the same channel.
    - I scanned with my mobile device all the surrounding networks to find an available free channel/couple of channels, for full duplex speed (300Mbps)
    - Found that channel 5 and 7 are not used at all and manually set the wi-fi router to ch.5.

Now it work .. but is pisses me off to know that if one of my neighbors makes some changes in his network I have also to adjust the wi-fi ... manually.
    With the old firmware, the "Auto" function worked flawless.
    And by old firmware, I mean RT-N18U_3.0.0.4_380_7378-g7a25649 version.

I can supply logs, if some of devs are interested in debugging.

Cheers.

8. maxbraketorque

Sounds like auto channel selection is broken.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!