What's new

RX usage tripled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bbgarnett

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I tried looking but couldn't find an answer but all of a sudden starting on Feb 29th my RX usage has seems to of Tripled according to vnstat and I am just trying to figure out what could be the cause of that. Since we only get 1.2 TB of data per month and at this rate we will go over unless I can figure out what is causing the issue. So if anyone could direct me at what else to look at that would be great/ On another note I had noticed that there was some high SSL/TLS usage on my Tivo 4K streaming device which to me doesn't seem normal but maybe it is. Just weird that it all of a sudden this started like this on Feb 29th when I haven't had problems before and I haven't changed or added anything to my network. Also unfortunately I just turned on some of the monitoring so I don't have a decent record what it was like last month when it was normal

Thanks for any help one can provide.

Asus Merlin VNstat.png
Tivo.png

Hello, I tried looking but couldn't find an answer but all of a sudden starting on Feb 29th my RX usage has seems to of Tripled according to vnstat and I am just trying to figure out what could be the cause of that. Since we only get 1.2 TB of data per month and at this rate we will go over unless I can figure out what is causing the issue. So if anyone could direct me at what else to look at that would be great/ On another note I had noticed that there was some high SSL/TLS usage on my Tivo 4K streaming device which to me doesn't seem normal but maybe it is. Just weird that it all of a sudden this started like this on Feb 29th when I haven't had problems before and I haven't changed or added anything to my network. Also unfortunately I just turned on some of the monitoring so I don't have a decent record what it was like last month when it was normal

Thanks for any help one can provide.

View attachment 57080View attachment 57081

It was frustrating stuff like this that just made me just cough up the extra $30/mo to bump it from 1.2TB to unlimited each month, rather than dealing with random overage payments.

It was frustrating stuff like this that just made me just cough up the extra $30/mo to bump it from 1.2TB to unlimited each month, rather than dealing with random overage payments.
Yeah like there is no need to have a data cap like it's not really harming them in anyways. At a minimum they should double it to 2.4 TB a month or something. But still is something I'd like to figure out as to what is causing the spike.

Yeah like there is no need to have a data cap like it's not really harming them in anyways. At a minimum they should double it to 2.4 TB a month or something. But still is something I'd like to figure out as to what is causing the spike.
Wouldn't that be nice... I'm sure there's other ways to do this, but using RTRMON you could use the stats on page 6 to look at network bandwidth activity every so often... or use a commandline tool like iftop to keep an eye out for data hogs.

Wouldn't that be nice... I'm sure there's other ways to do this, but using RTRMON you could use the stats on page 6 to look at network bandwidth activity every so often... or use a commandline tool like iftop to keep an eye out for data hogs.
OK I'll look into that maybe in a day or two. I am under the weather so don't feel like doing a whole ton right now.

I had a similar problem. I found two causes:
  1. My wife was confined to bed, started watching streaming and falling asleep to streaming running.
  2. My son discovered some creative sources for shows he liked. A DMCA notice alerted me to this.
I eventually coughed up $25/month (use Xfinity's gateway for $25 and get unlimited). Since then, we haven't exceeded the old 1.2 TB limit. :)

I had a similar problem. I found two causes:
  1. My wife was confined to bed, started watching streaming and falling asleep to streaming running.
  2. My son discovered some creative sources for shows he liked. A DMCA notice alerted me to this.
I eventually coughed up $25/month (use Xfinity's gateway for $25 and get unlimited). Since then, we haven't exceeded the old 1.2 TB limit. :)
Well no wife or Kids here and the two other people in the house who even use the internet don't use it a lot since one is rarely home and the other is always in the garage working on his car. Also never been an issue before up until Feb 29th.

Check your actual usage with the ISP. Both Traffic Analyzer and your script may show inaccurate data with NAT acceleration enabled. Experience when testing both.

Check your actual usage with the ISP. Both Traffic Analyzer and your script may show inaccurate data with NAT acceleration enabled. Experience when testing both.
I have and yes VNstat shows higher usage. With what Comcast shows its saying I am using like 52 GB a day, since the start of the month. Which is a significant uptick when we usually finish the month between 600-800GB used but at this rate we'll be at 1600 GB used.

Last edited:
I may notice up to 100GB increase when Microsoft and Apple update their OS. We have 6x Windows computers and 8x Apple devices in use. I saw a game update recently with 40GB size though. One of the few games we have installed on a PC. If none of the above - check the devices and see what's going on there. It is strange indeed.

While unlikely... also make sure you don't have any additional people connecting to your network... Is there a chance someone shared the password, and now additional family members, friends, or neighbors are getting some free bandwidth from you? Definitely check your connected clients and DHCP list.

I have and yes VNstat shows higher usage. With what Comcast shows its saying I am using like 52 GB a day, since the start of the month. Which is a significant uptick when we usually finish the month between 600-800GB used but at this rate we'll be at 1600 GB used.
Your signature shows you are using spdMerlin. You may want to cut down on the frequency of automatic speed tests to reduce data usage particularly if you are also automatically testing a couple of VPN tunnels.

While unlikely... also make sure you don't have any additional people connecting to your network... Is there a chance someone shared the password, and now additional family members, friends, or neighbors are getting some free bandwidth from you? Definitely check your connected clients and DHCP list.
I have nothing unknown to me also my WIFI signal wouldn't even reach the neighbors house like once I walk outside into the driveway I am losing signal. Also we recently lost a member of the house who got there own place in February so we went from 4 people using the internet to 3. Basically 5 windows machines only 3 are really used others are usually off and unplugged, 4 android devices only 2 which are actually used and 2 apple devices a phone and a watch. 1 Alexa, 1 Roku TV one firestick 1 Tivo stream 4K, One Xbox which I know can cause problems with massive game downloads but that's not the issue, 1 Switch, Also have a Night Owl 4 Camera system but it's a DVR so cameras are wired to the DVR and records to a Hard drive, 1 Netvue branded camera which records to an SD card and 1 MY Q garage door, I have an OOMA Landline device and an HDHomerun cable card tuner device. I have some other things as well that I did connect to the WIFI but none of them are in use at this time like my PS4 or some older streaming devices. Well we might have figured out an issue LOL so I will respond to the SPD Merlin comments and see if that fixes anything.

Your signature shows you are using spdMerlin. You may want to cut down on the frequency of automatic speed tests to reduce data usage particularly if you are also automatically testing a couple of VPN tunnels.
Well I'll be, I am not saying this is the issue and I am not testing any VPN Tunnels. But I haven't changed any settings and so it's been like this in other months that were fine. But I went and checked and somehow it was set to this which is way way too much IMO. I am going to change it to once a week. but still a little odd and I am assuming it was set like this in other months that were normal.

Anyways Thank you and I will see if this changes anything

SPDMerlin.png

Last edited:
Why do you need to test the line speed regularly? Something not working there often? This only eats your limited data for no reason.

Why do you need to test the line speed regularly? Something not working there often? This only eats your limited data for no reason.
no I don't know why or how it got set like that it was never done intentionally, I am changing it to once a week.

Thank you, I am not sure how it got set to be testing so often so hopefully turning that way down gives us some relief.

I am changing it to once a week.

I personally only run speed test when something is not working as expected. Residential ISP lines are not guaranteed. The bandwidth is shared between multiple subscribers. Even if you see 600-800-1200 in your speed tests - it means absolutely nothing. Your ISP is working properly and they don't care what your test numbers are.

I personally only run speed test when something is not working as expected. Residential ISP lines are not guaranteed. The bandwidth is shared between multiple subscribers. Even if you see 600-800-1200 in your speed tests - it means absolutely nothing. Your ISP is working properly and they don't care what your test numbers are.
OK so I should just set it to manual not automatic?