What's new

RT-N66U + Merlin can't update nvram settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dualsoul

New Around Here
Hi all,

Running RT-N66U with Merlin 380.59 version, all commans issued via ssh

I wanted to update wl0_reg_mode=h and optionally change country code from EU to something else. But after nvram reboot all changes are reverted to original values.

Here is commands i've tried:
Code:
nvram set wl_reg_mode=h
nvram set wl0_reg_mode=h
nvram set wl1_reg_mode=h
nvram set pci/1/1/ccode=US
nvram set pci/2/1/ccode=US
nvram set wl_country_code=US
nvram set wl0_country_code=US
nvram set wl1_country_code=US
nvram set regulation_domain=US
nvram set regulation_domain_5G=US
nvram commit
reboot #or service restart_wireless

Here is settings after reboot:
Code:
nvram show | grep "country_code\|regulation_domain\|reg_mode\|cc
ode"

wl0_country_code=EU
pci/2/1/ccode=EU
wl0_reg_mode=off
wl1_reg_mode=h
wl1_country_code=EU
regulation_domain=EU
regulation_domain_5G=EU
pci/1/1/ccode=EU
wl_reg_mode=h

Is anybody can help with it? I see a lot of posts which recommends nvram settings above, so assuming it should work?

Thanks.

I wanted to update wl0_reg_mode=h and optionally change country code from EU to something else. But after nvram reboot all changes are reverted to original values.
Starting with code level 376.xx or 378.xx (I can't remember which) you can no longer modify the wireless settings by changing nvram.

Ok, thanks.

Is there are other ways? My MBP time to time loosing 5Ghz connection and in system log i can see that it was country code change to RU via 802.11d it's never happening against apple extreme or express routers.

Is there are other ways?

No. Those settings are hardcoded in the read-only bootloader, and the firmware directly gets those values directly from the bootloader now.

Hi RMerlin, thank you for clarification.

Probably stupid question but how it was possible before? Is downgrade to specific firmware version is an option? Or alternative firmware like tomato/dd-wrt?

You know, it's starting to be sad story, was pretty happy with Asus for years and if I can no longer make it stable... don't really wanna switch

Probably stupid question but how it was possible before? Is downgrade to specific firmware version is an option? Or alternative firmware like tomato/dd-wrt?

The limitation is in Asus's firmware, to comply with new regulations.

Well, i was able to finally update nvram with 3.0.0.4.374_979 stock asus firmware that i have on other rt-66u unit.

Unsure at the moment if downgrade possible from latest merlin.

I'm pretty much confused why Asus decided to disable 802.11d and why i have wrong country code and no way to fix it. I can understand regulations.. but what regulation dictates to disable 802.11d?

I'm pretty much confused why Asus decided to disable 802.11d and why i have wrong country code and no way to fix it. I can understand regulations.. but what regulation dictates to disable 802.11d?

To prevent disabling it in regions that make it mandatory, most likely.

FCC will disallow 802.11d after January 01, 2015

After January 01, 2015, the FCC will not allow the use of 802.11d. The client cannot rely on the Access Point to ensure compliance to the FCC certified frequency bands. For example today, a non-U.S. AP can be used in the US, which will allow transmitting on channels 12 & 13 with unapproved power output in the 2.4 GHz band, or channels 120, 124 & 128 which are prohibited in the 5 GHz band. This will not be the case once FCC enforces the new rule.

FCC will disallow 802.11d after January 01, 2015

After January 01, 2015, the FCC will not allow the use of 802.11d. The client cannot rely on the Access Point to ensure compliance to the FCC certified frequency bands. For example today, a non-U.S. AP can be used in the US, which will allow transmitting on channels 12 & 13 with unapproved power output in the 2.4 GHz band, or channels 120, 124 & 128 which are prohibited in the 5 GHz band. This will not be the case once FCC enforces the new rule.

I assume that means that clients will also need to get updated drivers if their driver predates that change.

I assume that means that clients will also need to get updated drivers if their driver predates that change.
Shame on me....I didn't include the next paragraph....

What does it mean to you?

If sold in the U.S. the client module must be configured for U.S. use only. Current certified radio modules will be grandfathered in but after January 1st, all new applications, Class 2 Permissive Changes, and Change of ID must show compliance.

Well, tell it to Apple..

Reality is that apple products are using freakin 802.1d, i'm running all latest updates :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!