What's new

RT-N66U - Questions before purchase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beedix

New Around Here
I've looked through the manual and read the product information, but want to make sure this router has a few features that I need (with the factory firmware).

1) Can I assign static IPs to wired\wireless devices by MAC address? These devices are configured for DHCP but I need them to always have the same IP.

2) Are there plenty of port forwarding "lines" available? Or a silly limit like 10?

3) Does the QOS features work pretty well for this router? I have an ObiHai VOIP adapter and a TIVO that I stream Hulu Plus to that need to have a very high priority versus web surfing. I do quite a bit of bulk downloading via Newsgroups.

Thanks

I've looked through the manual and read the product information, but want to make sure this router has a few features that I need (with the factory firmware).

1) Can I assign static IPs to wired\wireless devices by MAC address? These devices are configured for DHCP but I need them to always have the same IP.

Yes - LAN --> DHCP --> Manual assignment (it even shows the client name, if it can figure it out).

2) Are there plenty of port forwarding "lines" available? Or a silly limit like 10?

The interface is not a fixed limit (add button just adds new lines), however, I have not determined the maximum number of port forwards. Note that if you need range forward with different external/internal ranges, it will not work.

3) Does the QOS features work pretty well for this router? I have an ObiHai VOIP adapter and a TIVO that I stream Hulu Plus to that need to have a very high priority versus web surfing. I do quite a bit of bulk downloading via Newsgroups.

Do not have any QoS features enabled, so I can't comment on that.