What's new

RT-N66U Web server questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Labarr

New Around Here
Hey guys,
I am not sure how much I can do (if any) on my RT-N66U router. I have begun taking php/MySQL classes at school. I was hoping to set up a nice test server using my own personal network.

Things I want to be able to do(Though not sure if possible):
Upload web files to server(php,html)
"Live"webpages I upload, that I can go to via url
Install MySQL(will be using this later on)

Is the above possible? If so, what would you recommend me doing?
I appreciate the help!

I know you can install MySQL using Entware. Beyond that though, I can't really help you out much.

Is the above possible? If so, what would you recommend me doing?
Whilst it might be possible to do everything you want on the router I would strongly suggest you don't. Whilst the router does have a Linux kernel it isn't a Linux distribution so you'll probably spend more time troubleshooting the router setup than programming in php. In addition the router has a weak CPU and a pitiful amount of RAM, enough for running a router but not for a web site and database.

Save yourself a lot of hassle and use a separate machine as your server. Preferably with the same sort of OS that you're using at school. Even a cheap Raspberry Pi would be a better option. Just my opinion of course.

I have a small web site I run for my cottage rental business (www.mcintoshcottage.ca). I bought a raspberryPI, and for $35, I run my web site on the raspberryPI. It sits in a perfectly-sized plastic lok-lok container with holes cut for the connections. I used to use the RT-N66U as my main router, and the raspberry pi simply plugged in to one of the ports, had the RT-N66U configured to route the port-80 traffic to the PI. Worked a charm.

I now have a true DMZ-zone: one main router facing the net, and then N66U and PI hooked up side-by-side to this main router. Allows me to not worry about the PI being compromised in a way that would allow access to my internal LAN. If you want to get fancy, I can give you a link to a post on that setup with a few more details.

I have a small web site I run for my cottage rental business (www.mcintoshcottage.ca). I bought a raspberryPI, and for $35, I run my web site on the raspberryPI. It sits in a perfectly-sized plastic lok-lok container with holes cut for the connections. I used to use the RT-N66U as my main router, and the raspberry pi simply plugged in to one of the ports, had the RT-N66U configured to route the port-80 traffic to the PI. Worked a charm.

I now have a true DMZ-zone: one main router facing the net, and then N66U and PI hooked up side-by-side to this main router. Allows me to not worry about the PI being compromised in a way that would allow access to my internal LAN. If you want to get fancy, I can give you a link to a post on that setup with a few more details.

I would love to take a look at it! Would be a fun little project to take on! Thanks

Cool!

A RaspPi is a great solution - whether running Raspbian or other (Ubuntu MATE 16.04LTS is a nice solution for Pi2/Pi3) -

One tip I would share is to use a battery backup, and many MicroUSB CellPhone charger/battery thingies work well for this. Pretty much any external battery pack that can deliver 2.1A will work, and just use it to power the Pi, and charge the battery from the wall.

I would suggest making a backup of the SDCard from time to time, as Pi's, if they go low voltage (generally caused by over current draw), the pi tends to corrupt the card...

And the Pi will generally let you know when things go wrong after the fact - if hooked up to a monitor/screen - and you see the rainbow square in the upper right corner, that's kind of a warning - if you see the red LED blinking, well, have a good backup of the card, as that's a good sign that it's under voltage... the Pi doesn't have a very good power solution, and many cell phone chargers are not up to the task of giving good voltage under heavy current when the pi is working hard...

A Pi2 will be a better Web Server than any router - mostly due to having more RAM space, and more storage... Pi3 just extends that advantage...

I know you can install MySQL using Entware. Beyond that though, I can't really help you out much.

One could perhaps - but given the limited RAM and CPU, probably not the best choice compared to some low cost options...

Probably better just to let the router be a router, and move other services to other items - see the Pi comments above - someone is hosting a fairly nice Web site on a 35 dollar dev board...