What's new

RTRMON RTRMON v1.6.8 -Mar 17, 2024- Monitor your Router's Health (New: AMTM, Network Conn/Bandwidth/Diag + Port Scanner, GT-AXE/AX + Speedtest)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

B9C37F38-331D-47B6-818B-E78A70790C45.jpeg

Not sure why the ssl handshake test fails. Is it because I don’t allow remote wan access to the router?

View attachment 44756

Not sure why the ssl handshake test fails. Is it because I don’t allow remote wan access to the router?
If that were the case, then these other tests would be failing as well... they rely on WAN access to work, like ping, dig, curl and spider... etc. This is the command it's running. Does this work for you if you run it manually?

Code:
nc -w1 8.8.8.8 443 && echo | openssl s_client -connect 8.8.8.8:443

If that were the case, then these other tests would be failing as well... they rely on WAN access to work, like ping, dig, curl and spider... etc. This is the command it's running. Does this work for you if you run it manually?

Code:
nc -w1 8.8.8.8 443 && echo | openssl s_client -connect 8.8.8.8:443

Ahh okay now I realize why it failed. I block 8.8.8.8 and the reason I do is because some IoT devices are hardcoded to prefer or fall back on 8.8.8.8 however I use strict DoT to cloudflare, and want to avoid non DoT fallback so I just block 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 as they are the most common.

I assume the diagnostic test defaults to checking googles dns.

The command works if I substitute it with 1.1.1.1 otherwise as expected it timed out on 8.8.8.8

Last edited:
Ahh okay now I realize why it failed. I block 8.8.8.8 and the reason I do is because some IoT devices are hardcoded to prefer or fall back on 8.8.8.8 however I use strict DoT to cloudflare, and want to avoid non DoT fallback so I just block 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 as they are the most common.

I assume the diagnostic test defaults to checking googles dns.

The command works if I substitute it with 1.1.1.1 otherwise as expected it timed out on 8.8.8.8
Yeah, in fact some of the other tests use 1.1.1.1 or just the "google.com" domain to test their functionality. I'm going to fix RTRMON so it doesn't show that "nc timed out" message... and will be releasing another quick hotfix here shortly. I was hoping you might be able to test this for me? I guess you could still use this SSL handshake test to ensure that your blocking rules are still happening. ;)

Yeah, in fact some of the other tests use 1.1.1.1 or just the "google.com" domain to test their functionality. I'm going to fix RTRMON so it doesn't show that "nc timed out" message... and will be releasing another quick hotfix here shortly. I was hoping you might be able to test this for me? I guess you could still use this SSL handshake test to ensure that your blocking rules are still happening. ;)
Sure I can test it for you.

Sure I can test it for you.
Please give this a shot and let me know if that error goes away by the SSL Handshake test?

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.32b1.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

BTW... I tried blocking 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in our house one time, and all hell broke loose... and a ton of stuff broke/stopped functioning. Everyone was screaming! Like every one of our Google home devices ceased to work as well. I'm impressed you were able to make it work! :)

BTW... I tried blocking 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in our house one time, and all hell broke loose... and a ton of stuff broke/stopped functioning. Everyone was screaming! Like every one of our Google home devices ceased to work as well. I'm impressed you were able to make it work! :)
I keep DNSfilter set to router to force devices to use the routers ip, but also block googledns just for safe measures so those devices have no choice. My Amazon devices also like googledns, but so far so good. My only complaint is skynet logs googledns as a block which prevents me from knowing the real number of blocks from those devices.

Attachments

• 72D8E908-8A49-4A08-8501-3E9328A89DB2.jpeg
    72D8E908-8A49-4A08-8501-3E9328A89DB2.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 63
A second quick hotfix release is available today - v1.32. Thanks to @DJones for the feedback and quick turnaround to test a fix!

What's new?
v1.32 - (October 11, 2022) - HOTFIX 2
- FIXED:
Added some additional error checking on the network diag functions based on some output/screenshot received from @DJones. Thank you! NC errors should be suppressed from this point forward, allowing RTRMON to show a passed/failed message after the completion of each test.

Download link (or update directly from within AMTM):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.32.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Please consider adding user selection for alternate speed test servers within settings. Thanks.

Please consider adding user selection for alternate speed test servers within settings. Thanks.
Thanks! Yes, that one is on my to-do list! ;)

maybe an option to disable the countdown bar? i find it distracting

maybe an option to disable the countdown bar? i find it distracting
I like that idea! Perhaps I can have an option for something like a minimalist number countdown of the sort to show that the script is still running in the background

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!