What's new

Samba still unstable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spartan77777

Occasional Visitor
I have attached a 2TB WD elements and partitioned it for 1.8TB for network share and 200GB for use with jffs partition on a RTAC88U with Merlin 384.18.
I have my whole configuration functioning on the USB 3.0 attached drive entware, Diversion, Skynet, and a bunch of other modules through amtm working without issues on a Ext4 volume but FAT32 Samba share is acting up during large copies.
Every time I copy a volume of files onto the Samba share on the router, approx 30GB+, or 15 minutes or longer into the process, copy stops WIFI service disappears for about 2-3 minutes and then comes back on, guessing that it triggers a reboot.
I have some recollection from way back samba share through very unstable. Is that still the case or am I doing this wrong.

Attachments

• RTAC88U_Samba.jpg
    RTAC88U_Samba.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 271
I'd err on the side that you're doing it wrong. :)

Even if someone can give you a solution to your existing setup, a NAS is the better way to reliably be transferring 30GB+ files around your network. As opposed to using a USB attached drive to your router.

I have 10 computers (9 Windows 10 and 1 Linux) that I do interim (FULL) backup images to a USB attached enclosure (Powered) to the router.
I have no problems backing up and verifying these images which totals hundreds of gigabytes of data. I am on a GIGABIT WIRED CONNECTION.
Ditch the WiFi and go wired and your problems will be over (No Synology necessary)...

I see people spending huge money every 2 years or so on the "latest" wifi standard routers...
They're rarely satisfied and continue to spend vast amounts in the hope that wifi will be as good
as ethernet....In reality it never will be (too many variables with RF)...Wifi is fine for smartphones/mobile devices.
Anything fixed that you care about the speed should be wired.

Buy a roll of ethernet cable (Cat5e is fine for Gigabit unless it's a really long run)...And spend a day wiring up
everything and be done with it....No AC, AX, or ZZ wifi standard will ever be as stable as a wired connection. Period.

People buy AIO home routers to have WiFi in first place.

Buy a roll of ethernet cable

Aha... what about clients with no Ethernet port? Very common around. Your solution is a bit strange. Ditch the AIO router's main function in order to use it for something it was never made to do. Ever thought of leaving 1 of your 10 computers on and plug that USB drive there? None of the 10 computers users has a phone or a tablet? Are you running a correction facility? :rolleyes:

As I've said...WiFi is fine for your smartphone/tablet. They don't need gigabit anyway...
And in case you haven't noticed, consumer routers with the exception of Ubiquiti and a few other models are all Wifi inclusive...
That's fine...Nothing wrong with WiFi...Just don't expect it to ever match ethernet (or any other wired medium)...
(Even if you bathe your house in RF from mesh systems)...
I have a self-made NAS (OpenMediaVault) for my normal backups....But I use the USB 3.0 attached external drive on the router for interim backups.
No reason to leave anything on 24/7 unless it's serving a purpose (Like my one old laptop which runs WX software and uploads to the internet 24/7)...
I suspect we have a generational difference K-2SO... No for your info I have ZERO interest in Smartphones....I do have android devices (All wired)...
I don't feel the need to constantly be looking at a screen while I'm walking around the house....

Nothing wrong with WiFi...Just don't expect it to ever match ethernet

Crashing WiFi on some routers doing heavy USB transfers has nothing to do with WiFi vs Wired performance. It's a bad implementation of software. Not optimized for the tiny hardware it runs on. This Samba server is for simple file sharing. Not designed to replace a NAS. This is what we are talking about.

No for your info I have ZERO interest in Smartphones... I don't feel the need...

Sound like you live alone. I'm sorry. At least you have 10 computers around. :(

Nope...Happily married...Thanks.
K-2SO....I really don't understand you...
All you ever seem to do is come here and say how bad Asus Routers are...
I can assure you by all means go to the Netgear or Linksys forums (Or DD-WRT, Fresh Tomato, etc.) or others and see how things are there...

Bottom line is it's NOT a SAMBA problem. As I've already stated I can transfer 100's of gigabytes of data without
issue to an External USB 3.0 connected drive to the router. The problem is the WiFi. WiFi is succeptable to interference, obstructions, poor Wifi Driver implementation, etc.
If it were a Samba issue then I would be having the problem on my Ethernet connected machines (And I AM NOT having any problem).

But by all means keep spending your Burger King salary on new routers...I'm sure there's one out there with PERFECT WIFI GIGABIT connectivity. REALLY...

BYE BYE TROLL...

Crashing WiFi on some routers doing heavy USB transfers has nothing to do with WiFi vs Wired performance. It's a bad implementation of software. Not optimized for the tiny hardware it runs on. This Samba server is for simple file sharing. Not designed to replace a NAS. This is what we are talking about.

Sound like you live alone. I'm sorry. At least you have 10 computers around. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
K-2SO....I really don't understand you...

I have no idea either what WiFi Gigabit connectivity you are talking about. Did someone mention Gigabit WiFi? OP's router is crashing with USB transfers. What Netgear and Linksys forums? Burger King? I'm not sure how big the generational differences are. I'm only 41. Just relax, please... it's OK. You're right.

I have attached a 2TB WD elements and partitioned it for 1.8TB for network share and 200GB for use with jffs partition on a RTAC88U with Merlin 384.18.
I have my whole configuration functioning on the USB 3.0 attached drive entware, Diversion, Skynet, and a bunch of other modules through amtm working without issues on a Ext4 volume but FAT32 Samba share is acting up during large copies.
Every time I copy a volume of files onto the Samba share on the router, approx 30GB+, or 15 minutes or longer into the process, copy stops WIFI service disappears for about 2-3 minutes and then comes back on, guessing that it triggers a reboot.
I have some recollection from way back samba share through very unstable. Is that still the case or am I doing this wrong.
What is ram usage before and during the file transfer?
Also have you tested another hard drive and with all the scripts disabled?

I have no idea either what WiFi Gigabit connectivity you are talking about. Did someone mention Gigabit WiFi? OP's router is crashing with USB transfers. What Netgear and Linksys forums? Burger King? I'm not sure how big the generational differences are. I'm only 41. Just relax, please... it's OK. You're right.
ignore them they are trying to bait you into an argument, jut keep it on topic.

Whilst I haven't used smb extensively, I don't recall it ever being unstable. FAT32 though.... (and lets not even go into trying to use NTFS on a router)

Try using ext4 instead and see if you can reproduce the same problem.

ignore them they are trying to bait you into an argument, jut keep it on topic.
I would not totally label wifi as the non-issue because it could easily be transfer interruptions due to wifi connectivity issues. We first need to ask all the appropriate troubleshooting questions like what type of setup is going on between devices sharing and the router. Also we need to know cpu usage on the router when device is transferring like you asked.

It could be speculated that switching to a nas would be the better solution provided this can all be chopped up to a router cpu issue / samba performance issue. with that all being said, if these wifi interruptions will not go away then there also may be wifi problems due to bad wifi logistics.

I would not totally label wifi as the non-issue because it could easily be transfer interruptions due to wifi connectivity issues. We first need to ask all the appropriate troubleshooting questions like what type of setup is going on between devices sharing and the router. Also we need to know cpu usage on the router when device is transferring like you asked.
I'm not ruling it out as an issue.

I was suggesting to ignore the personal attacks and false accusations of trolling, since it's going off topic.

It could be speculated that switching to a nas would be the better solution provided this can all be chopped up to a router cpu issue / samba performance issue. with that all being said, if these wifi interruptions will not go away then there also may be wifi problems due to bad wifi logistics.
The related log entries would be helpful. The provided attachment and description of the problem doesn't really say if its the WiFi function that restarts itself, the router rebooting, the smb service restarting itself or something else that happens.

The related log entries would be helpful. The provided attachment and description of the problem doesn't really say if its the WiFi function that restarts itself, the router rebooting, the smb service restarting itself or something else that happens.
I concur, logs would be helpful for determining the issues.