What's new

Samsung 5Ghz becomes 2.4 GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sweden

Occasional Visitor
Hi!
Running latest Asus Merlin firmware on my RT-AX88U. I have separated 2.4 and 5Ghz to different networks. When connecting to 5Ghz my phone time from time shows 2.4Ghz despite being connected to 5Ghz. How do i force 5Ghz only?

Anyone else have this issue on Samsung S24?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240510_233522_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240510_233522_Firefox.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20240510_233515_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20240510_233515_Firefox.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 24
Forget the old and new networks on the phone, then set up for the 5GHz again. Sounds like you changed the ssid on 5GHz but left 2.4GHz with the old SSID.

Hello, the same thing happened to me.
What I have detected is that it only occurs on the Wi -Fi connection screen but on the status bar icon shows the right band.
In my case it happened in the 6GHz band. While on the connection screen it shows 2.4 GHz, in the status bar shows WiFi 6E.
I imagine that you have activated "Show Band Information" in "Connectivity Labs" to show the wifi band. When you activate this you have a warning that stability is not guaranteed and that it is only for internal tests, so I think it is an "aesthetic" error.
With the update to One UI 6.1 it has been fixed for me and now shows the right band in a S22 Ultra.

Last edited:
If you want a device to connect only to one band, then that band requires a unique SSID that is not placed on the other band. For example you could have SSIDS: my5, my2, and my with my5 on the 5Ghz radio, my2 on the 2.4Ghz radio and my on both radios.

@Sweden how is the WiFi configured on the router? If you are using Smart Connect that may be a likely cause since the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz use the same SSID name (and if I remember right same password). Disable/turn off Smart Connect and give each WiFi band a unique name then make sure to connect the Samsung device to the 5Ghz band SSID only. It helps to forget the earlier saved WiFi configuration settings on the phone if you plan on using the same SSID name for one of the bands and the same password.

@Sweden how is the WiFi configured on the router? If you are using Smart Connect that may be a likely cause since the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz use the same SSID name (and if I remember right same password). Disable/turn off Smart Connect and give each WiFi band a unique name then make sure to connect the Samsung device to the 5Ghz band SSID only. It helps to forget the earlier saved WiFi configuration settings on the phone if you plan on using the same SSID name for one of the bands and the same password.

I am not using Smart Connect. I have seperated my networks into Banhof-2.4Ghz and the other one to Banhof-5Ghz. I never connected with phone to 2.4Ghz. In print screen, you can see i am connected to Banhof-5Ghz, but it still shows 2.4GHz. After reading madre comments it seems like a possible Samsung S24 bug. It jumps over to 5GHz rather quick if i close menu and reopens it, but a bit strange. Just wanted to check if i am the only one with this problem as i dident see it mentioned anywhere.

Hello, the same thing happened to me.
What I have detected is that it only occurs on the Wi -Fi connection screen but on the status bar icon shows the right band.
In my case it happened in the 6GHz band. While on the connection screen it shows 2.4 GHz, in the status bar shows WiFi 6E.
I imagine that you have activated "Show Band Information" in "Connectivity Labs" to show the wifi band. When you activate this you have a warning that stability is not guaranteed and that it is only for internal tests, so I think it is an "aesthetic" error.
With the update to One UI 6.1 it has been fixed for me and now shows the right band in a S22 Ultra.

You prob right. What i have noticed though is that 2.4GHz on 5GHz band appear when i am rather far away from router. If i am like only 10meters, it always show 5GHz when connected to 5GHz band. Just installed May update now, lets see if theirs some fix for this. The reason for this post was that i was unsure if its a Samsung or Merlin bug somwhere. Sounds like a possibile Samsung bug...

You prob right. What i have noticed though is that 2.4GHz on 5GHz band appear when i am rather far away from router. If i am like only 10meters, it always show 5GHz when connected to 5GHz band. Just installed May update now, lets see if theirs some fix for this. The reason for this post was that i was unsure if its a Samsung or Merlin bug somwhere. Sounds like a possibile Samsung bug...

What speed dose your router show?