What's new

Static route vs manually assigned IP around DHCP list?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eastavin

Is there any documentation that describes the difference between using static routes to add routers behind the main unit, versus just manually assigning an IP from the DHCP list?

I did find a note that says port forwarding only works with static route somewhere but after a quick test... With a manually assigned IP from the DHCP list it worked fine.

So far I have not found a difference. I must have missed something??

Thanks

Edward

Last edited:
What you are describing isn't a "static route". You are thinking of a statically assigned address which just means that a device has an IP address that doesn't change. You can either configure a static address on the device itself, or you can assign it a static address via DHCP, based on its physical MAC address.

Static routes are rules in the router to tell it where to send packets.

But to answer the question you wanted to ask, if you want port forwarding to work, the device that you are forwarding to must have a known and static IP address. It doesn't how it gets that static address, either manually, or via DHCP.

Port forwarding can work with a dynamic address, but you need to use tools like UPnP to create/update the rule whenever your device's address changes.

What you are describing isn't a "static route". You are thinking of a statically assigned address which just means that a device has an IP address that doesn't change. You can either configure a static address on the device itself, or you can assign it a static address via DHCP, based on its physical MAC address.

Static routes are rules in the router to tell it where to send packets.

But to answer the question you wanted to ask, if you want port forwarding to work, the device that you are forwarding to must have a known and static IP address. It doesn't how it gets that static address, either manually, or via DHCP.

Port forwarding can work with a dynamic address, but you need to use tools like UPnP to create/update the rule whenever your device's address changes.
No, static IP addresses are not assigned by DHCP. Manually Assigned addresses are. static IP addresses are assigned at the client.

The OP is confusing static route with IP addressing

No, static IP addresses are not assigned by DHCP. Manually Assigned addresses are. static IP addresses are assigned at the client.

The OP is confusing static route with IP addressing
That's a common misconception.
Static IP address assignment via DHCP is the correct terminology.

For Example:

A static address can be assigned either manually, as you say, or by DHCP.

Thank you all for your replies. I was trying to discern the difference between the result of using the tab under LAN called ROUTE... where it invites you to "enable static routes" versus the tab called DHCP where it invites you to manually assign an IP. Both result in a destination that does not change, does it not? So as far as port forwarding goes either meets the need? Or did I miss something like the advantage of one over the other?

Static IP address assignment via DHCP is the correct terminology.
Not necessarily.

It's universally accepted that an IP address manually set in a client's network adapter settings is a "static" address. However an IP address given out by a DHCP server is called different things by different people.

Asus calls it "manually assigned". Microsoft calls them "reservations". Cisco also uses reservations, mostly in it's enterprise equipment, e.g. https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/sol/sb/isa500_emulator/help/guide/ad1774415.html

Is there any documentation that describes the difference between using static routes to add routers behind the main unit, versus just manually assigning an IP from the DHCP list?
You are conflating two different things.

Both result in a destination that does not change, does it not?
No.

What is the actual problem you're trying to solve?

Not necessarily.

It's universally accepted that an IP address manually set in a client's network adapter settings is a "static" address. However an IP address given out by a DHCP server is called different things by different people.

Asus calls it "manually assigned". Microsoft calls them "reservations". Cisco also uses reservations, mostly in it's enterprise equipment, e.g. https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/sol/sb/isa500_emulator/help/guide/ad1774415.html
TomAto Tahmahto

If we really want to get into a discussion on regional differences…

How does one pronounce router?

Is it RowTour or Rewter?

(probably needs a separate thread)

;-)

Happy New Year Folks.

TomAto Tahmahto

If we really want to get into a discussion on regional differences…

How does one pronounce router?

Is it RowTour or Rewter?

(probably needs a separate thread)

;-)

Happy New Year Folks.
Hear, hear!
We're about helping people with their networks, not their personal grammar.

Last edited:
Hear, hear!
We're about helping people with their networks, not their personal grammar.
Absolutely agree. But, I am part serious and this question does have to do with networks.

As an American, I pronounce it R Wow Ter.

I suspect my friends from over the pond (and possibly across the border) would pronounce it Rooter.

You are conflating two different things.

No.

What is the actual problem you're trying to solve?
Hi Colin. Just assessing if I have approached yesterday's project of adding a gaming server and segrating it from the existing network the optimal way. I connected the new router to the existing using automatic DHCP and then manually assigned the IP address to this device from the manual assignment panel. Did the port forwards, did the NSF and everything is working fine now.

I cant help but notice that under LAN- ROUTE tab where ASUS invites one to "enable static routes" ASUS has advised that "This function allows you to add routing rules into RT-AX86U. It is useful if you connect several routers behind RT-AX86U to share the same connection to the Internet."

Of course I can argue that this is what I am doing but i have accomplished it differently. This latter ROUTE method appears far more involved to setup and I was wondering if it yields some advantages that I have not thought of?

Edward

Of course I can argue that this is what I am doing but i have accomplished it differently. This latter ROUTE method appears far more involved to setup and I was wondering if it yields some advantages that I have not thought of?
You specifically don't want to do this because you want your networks to be isolated from each other. Using static routes is necessary if you want devices on two different networks to freely communicate with each other. This would also involve turning off NAT and the firewall on the secondary router.

You specifically don't want to do this because you want your networks to be isolated from each other. Using static routes is necessary if you want two different networks to freely communicate with each other. This would also involve turning off NAT and the firewall on the secondary router.
I just twigged what was happening here, and what the OP requires. I also came to the same conclusion.