What's new

Scanning using Twain driver - WEIRD issue - please assist

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snowatom

Occasional Visitor
I consider myself fairly good at IT, as I also do this for a living ;) - But I'm having an issue, I really can't understand.

Router: Asus RT-AX82U - Merlin 386.2_4 (configured with two SSID's, Wifi 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz)
Computer: Intel NUC (NUC6i7KYK) - Newest Intel NIC Drivers and Twain drivers
Printer: Canon Maxify MB 2050 - connected via wifi 2.5Ghz.

When printing I have no issues. From either devices, Wifi or Cabled.

But when scanning using Twain Driver from my computer connected through Cable, It's terrible slow (several minutes for a single scan). Wifi 5Ghz, same issue. But when connected to Wifi 2.4Ghz (same as the printer) everything works, and my scanning is done within seconds.

How is this possible?, what is causing this. It's the exact same network, and everything works, except slow scanning.

What could possible be causing this slow network scanning issue, when communicating on the same router ?

Please assist, it´s driving me crazy.

snowatom

How does it perform for scanning when connected directly between the NUC and the MF unit over USB ?

When you are scanning over wireless are you directly connecting to the wireless server in the MF unit or through the wireless router ?

The specs only list Wireless N compatibility for the nic in the MF unit. i could not find any information on the radios it has, but it may only be 2.4 GHz since this is an older unit. That might explain what is happening.

The spec page only lists driver compatibility through Win 8.1, so may also be an issue in the hand off between the net drivers and the scan twain driver when not directly connected to the wireless server in the MF unit.

Scanning over ethernet has always had issues for consumer equipment in my experience.

I consider myself fairly good at IT, as I also do this for a living ;)
Printer: Canon Maxify MB 2050 - connected via wifi 2.5Ghz.

Sorry, I had to giggle...

But, back to your issue. Have you tried SANE: http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-CANON ?
The MB 2000 series seems well supported.

As Entware is available (if not already installed) on your router, you can use opkg to install the required SANE packages. If Entware isn't installed, use amtm to install it.

Never tried with USB same goes for SANE. As it works on the same ghz WiFi network, so that’s my workaround. I just use NAPS2 for scanning. And it has always worked. The issue came about the same time as I reinstalled my PC and Router change. But I suspect the router to be the cause more than the PC, cause of the way I get it working.

I just can’t understand why it works on the same Wifi network, and not when PC is cabled. There should be no routing, and no reason for this not to work.

oh and 2.5ghz, quite funny, giggle all you want:D - I’m good at IT, bla bla bla, well not that good, at hitting the right keys ;)

Last edited: