What's new

scMerlin scMerlin - service and script control menu for AsusWRT-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vpn_serverx_start will contain the number of server instances that are enabled, separated by a comma.
As @Jack Yaz Said:
Code:
Best you've got is whether it is enabled or not, but that can be a red herring if it is supposed to be running but hasn't turned on yet

... Or if by error the server turned off by himself

As @Jack Yaz Said:
Code:
Best you've got is whether it is enabled or not, but that can be a red herring if it is supposed to be running but hasn't turned on yet

... Or if by error the server turned off by himself
I might misunderstand what watchdog does, but I think this will check that and maybe restart(?) since it runs every two minutes, this is in my cron jobs. I'm guessing set when I enable or reboot / start the VPN server.
Code:
*/2 * * * * /etc/openvpn/server1/vpns-watchdog1.sh #CheckVPNServer1#

I might misunderstand what watchdog does, but I think this will check that and maybe restart(?) since it runs every two minutes, this is in my cron jobs. I'm guessing set when I enable or reboot / start the VPN server.
Code:
*/2 * * * * /etc/openvpn/server1/vpns-watchdog1.sh #CheckVPNServer1#
Yes I just checked and it's in my cron also!

Code:
if [ -z $(pidof vpnserver1) ]
then
   service restart_vpnserver1
fi
So in that case, as Merlin said, you just have to use vpn_serverx_start to see if it's on or off. :)

Is the same logic applicable to vpn_clientx_eas ?
For what I see, yes.

The difference is VPN clients don't have a watchdog, so the way you did for clients is perfect (if they an have address)

Off topic. What's that V, X and sometimes a yellow dot on some commits?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200421-224304771.png
    Screenshot_20200421-224304771.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 165
Houston, we've a problem :confused:
As you can see, I have client 1, 2 and 4 configured.
However, on the script, it's shown client 1, 2 and 3.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200421-225446206.png
    Screenshot_20200421-225446206.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Screenshot_20200421-225452338.png
    Screenshot_20200421-225452338.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 141
So what about the notion of adapting scMerlin as an iOS Shortcut or Android Tasker (or whatever is equivalent these days)? It would be useful to prime the menu with the list of applicable commands for the user’s current setup on the router (e.g. ddns, vsftpd enabled/disabled, etc.).

CC6ACC9B-0393-4C12-8A68-877F6B54F10E.jpeg
88E708DE-1388-428E-82B6-64F24CCD3A63.jpeg

So what about the notion of adapting scMerlin as an iOS Shortcut or Android Tasker (or whatever is equivalent these days)? It would be useful to prime the menu with the list of applicable commands for the user’s current setup on the router (e.g. ddns, vsftpd enabled/disabled, etc.).

View attachment 23663 View attachment 23664
You must be bored to death ;)

On the other hand, I’ve frequently thought that if a user is savvy enough to login to their router via SSH and run scmerlin, then they probably don’t need the menu system.

But setup a shortcut with the router SSH and they can press a button on their phone, which is useful for true novices.

On the other hand, I’ve frequently thought that if a user is savvy enough to login to their router via SSH and run scmerlin, then they probably don’t need the menu system.

But setup a shortcut with the router SSH and they can press a button on their phone, which is useful for true novices.

I believe I am savvy enough to login and use SSH - but when I need to restart something like httpd, dnsmasq, etc. I often forget the "service" name. Jack's menu does the work for me.
Since the application "service" does no checking of any kind, it's easy to think you restarted something. I.e - type in "service restart-life"
It will happily say "Done."

I like the iOS app idea as well.

These are early rumblings of a Merlin app to be available at some point in the future, much like Asus has one of their own
I can count the number of times I’ve used the diversion shortcut on one appendage’s digits.
But if it did more, in one place...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please, no app. RMerlin or otherwise.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!