What's new

Scribe scribe 3.x_y - syslog-ng and logrotate installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello, I have an issue. Scribe is not started upon a reboot of my router (AX88U). I need to do a scribe restart and then it is working fine, after each reboot.
What version of scribe? Please make sure you're using 3.1_1

@cmkelley would scribe go haywire if amtm had a nerd mode that keeps the last timestamp when rebooting and applying it at earliest time during boot?
Testing on my newer models I no longer see default router dates (like May 5) until ntpd kicks in.

@cmkelley would scribe go haywire if amtm had a nerd mode that keeps the last timestamp when rebooting and applying it at earliest time during boot?
Testing on my newer models I no longer see default router dates (like May 5) until ntpd kicks in.
Oooh I LIKE that idea :D.

scribe right now doesn't do so well with the early boot stuff (i.e. it tends to just lose it - I need to figure that out). I can't imagine it would make any difference. I don't think syslog-ng cares about the timestamps, it just passes them through.

Hello, I have an issue. Scribe is not started upon a reboot of my router (AX88U). I need to do a scribe restart and then it is working fine, after each reboot.
I have had the same issue for a while now (same router), but I lost my nut over it earlier in one of the threads and lost some cred. I've updated to 3.1.1 now, will post back if that problem contintinues. 😉

Last edited:
I have had the same issue for a while now (same router), but I lost my nut over it earlier in one of the threads and lost some cred. I've updated to 3.1.1 now, will post back if that problem contintinues. 😉
This is weird. Same here, issues is not new to 3.1.1 but is still there

Scribe is not started upon a reboot of my router (AX88U). I need to do a scribe restart and then it is working fine, after each reboot.

@Olivier L @Ripshod @cmkelley

I was getting this issue intermittently there for a while on my AX86U, and then I played around with the order of "firing" in the service-event file. In my case the scribe start up line had ended up first, so I moved it to be the last line and since then I haven't seen the problem re-occur.

This may be voodoo and completely coincidental - makes no sense to me that the order would matter - but I mention it anyway in case it's worth a try in terms of trouble-shooting for someone?

@Olivier L , 3.1.1 still refuses to start. I'm gonna post a section of the scribe log (if it exists), maybe that'll show what's happening (or not).

Anyone point me to the scribe log? There's nothing in syslog.log after the reboot.
Code:
 Please select an option: s

checking syslog-ng daemon ... dead.
    the system logger (syslogd) ... is running.

Type scribe restart at shell prompt or select rs
    from scribe main menu to start syslog-ng.
    syslog.log default location ... /tmp/syslog.log
  ... & agrees with config file ... okay!

checking system for necessary scribe hooks ...

checking S01syslog-ng ... present.
            checking post-mount ... present.
               checking unmount ... present.

checking syslog-ng configuration ...

syslog-ng.conf version check ... in sync. (3.38)
    syslog-ng.conf syntax check ... okay!

scribe installed version: v3.1_1 (master)
             scribe GitHub version: v3.1_1 (master)
                    scribe is up to date!

Press [Enter] to continue:

I was getting this issue intermittently there for a while on my AX86U, and then I played around with the order of "firing" in the service-event file. In my case the scribe start up line had ended up first, so I moved it to be the last line and since then I haven't seen the problem re-occur.

This may be voodoo and completely coincidental - makes no sense to me that the order would matter - but I mention it anyway in case it's worth a try in terms of trouble-shooting for someone?
I've had a look at service-event. Scribe startup is at the end, followed by the uiscribe startup.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
if echo "$2" | /bin/grep -q "YazFi" || { [ "$1" = "restart" ] && [ "$2" = "wireless" ]; }; then { /jffs/scripts/YazFi service_event "$@" & }; fi # YazFi Guest Networks
[ "$2" = diversion ] && /bin/sh /opt/share/diversion/webui/process.div "$1" & # Added by Diversion
if echo "$2" | /bin/grep -q "ntpmerlin"; then { /jffs/scripts/ntpmerlin service_event "$@" & }; fi # ntpMerlin
if echo "$2" | /bin/grep -q "scmerlin"; then { /jffs/scripts/scmerlin service_event "$@" & }; fi # scMerlin
if echo "$2" | /bin/grep -q "spdmerlin"; then { /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin service_event "$@" & }; fi # spdMerlin
/jffs/scripts/YazDHCP service_event "$@" & # YazDHCP
if echo "$2" | /bin/grep -q "uiDivStats"; then { /jffs/scripts/uiDivStats service_event "$@" & }; fi # uiDivStats
/jffs/scripts/scribe kill-logger nologo "$1" "$2" & # added by scribe
if echo "$2" | /bin/grep -q "uiScribe"; then { /jffs/scripts/uiScribe service_event "$@" & }; fi # uiScribe

I surrender, 3.1_2 pushed

Pretty much the end of what I can do to solve the not starting syslog-ng at boot problem. Fingers crossed.

For the technically curious who may not have been following, I've moved the bit that kills syslogd & klogd to be inside the do loop, so that if something restarts them within a second of sending them the kill signal, the loop won't exit and it will try to kill them again.

Sounds like you were on the edge of a race condition and moving the scribe kickoff to the end made sure whatever else was causing the issue always completed first. Probably not something I can count on across all routers / issues. Although IPv6 seems to be the culprit in most cases, there's one report here of someone having this issue w/o IPv6.

So rather than play whack-a-mole with different issues, I changed it to keep killing syslogd & klogd over and over again until either they stay dead or 30 seconds elapses (i.e. ~30 kill attempts).

Although IPv6 seems to be the culprit in most cases, there's one report here of someone having this issue w/o IPv6.

Also "just for the record" @cmkelley I've never had IPv6 turned on either on this router.

Thank you, now have 3.1_2 installed and I'll continue to monitor and report.

Not that I have a clue in life what to do if it doesn't fix the issue.
Well in my case it kinda fixed itself for now at least, not that I really have a clue why!
Thanks again for your ongoing efforts, it is much appreciated!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!