What's new

Scribe scribe 3.x_y - syslog-ng and logrotate installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Long term test? I'm up for that challenge.
Okay, so this issue with scribe completely borked skynet. skynet would not start at all, syslog-ng kept getting "killed" whenever I restarted skynet to try to get it working. I have also ran into issues where scribe (syslog-ng) prevented adguardhome from starting as well. I am wondering if syslog-ng is downloading a new default config or if something is happening behind the scenes with it that is not being accounted for by scribe.

skynet-0.log doesn't get rotated according to scribe's logrotate.log

@Ripshod , the actual error is coming from syslog-ng.conf (or lack there of), the real question is, what is causing this breakage. Could the issue be caused by the USB not mounting before scribe starts?

The error message encountered suggests a syntax error in syslog-ng configuration file. The parser is expecting a version number as the first line in the configuration file, and it seems to encounter a floating-point number instead.

here is the default config:

Here is a possible cause of the problem:

Code:
opkg list syslog-ng
syslog-ng - 4.2.0-1 - syslog-ng reads and logs messages to the system console, log
 files, other machines and/or users as specified by its
 configuration file.

the default config version only specifies 4.1.

Code:
Error parsing config, syntax error, unexpected LL_FLOAT, expecting end of file in /opt/etc/syslog-ng.conf:1:1-1:4:
1-----> 4.2
1-----> ^^^
2       4.2
3       4.2
4       4.2
5       4.2
6       4.2

syslog-ng documentation: https://www.syslog-ng.com/technical-documents/list/syslog-ng-open-source-edition
        GitHub Project: https://github.com/syslog-ng/syslog-ng
        Chat with the Developers: https://gitter.im/syslog-ng/syslog-ng
        Mailing List: https://lists.balabit.hu/mailman/listinfo/syslog-ng
[2023-12-07T21:23:44.029665] ERROR: configuration files without a version number have become unsupported in syslog-ng 3.13, please specify a version number using @version as the first line in the configuration file;

Last edited:
I responded to the post in the other thread.

Just adding my 2 bits... Creating a custom filter for hostapd clears (redirects) a lot of messages into the new file... System Messages become readable once again!

I'm back (sort of).

I apologize for my extended absense. What was originally supposed to be a 4 to 5 month remodel stretched to 9 months. Partly our fault ("while you're here, why don't you ...") and partly our city's fault (2+ months for a straightforward permit). Because of the network setup in the AirB&B we were staying at, I had to kinda kludge my network together in a way that was not at all condusive to even playing with scribe. We only moved back into the house April 3rd and we are still in boxes all over the house; we don't even have blinds on the windows (yes, it was a pretty major remodel). We survived the remodel, according to my wife's therapist, remodels have a nasty habit of turning into divorces(!) But we've got well over 10,000 miles on our divorce bike (tandem) so I guess we have lots of practice with such stuff. On the plus side, it's like moving into a whole new house, and things that we have really wanted to do to the house for the last 25 years are finally done (e.g. my wife has her bay window). The only way we're moving out of this house ever again is feet first.

I've just got my basic network here at home set back up (not sure where all my Raspberry Pis got to in all this), somewhere along the line one of our server backup drives failed (but not any of our primary server drives, thankfully), and I'm still trying to fix that mess. It will still be a while before I can get fully back into it, but in the near term I'll try to review problems people have had over the past year and start of list of things to look into. And then try to remember how to code again, lol.

Again, sorry for the extended absense. Looks like One Identity at least hasn't outright broken anything with syslog-ng in the last year, so I guess that's a plus.

The only thing going on I'm aware of is the code that changes the version in the .conf file didn't handle well the change from version 3.xx to version 4.xx and overwrites all the config lines with 4.2. See post 185.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!