What's new

Scribe scribe - syslog-ng and logrotate installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, that is an interesting question. For me it seems that there is some conflict. The log below shows the time when I installed scribe and uiscribe at 12:18 klogd exiting...

Mar 09 12:18:28 RT-AC68U_WHITE kernel klogd: exiting
Mar 09 15:21:38 RT-AC68U_WHITE kernel klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2020-02-08 13:38:20 EST)
Mar 09 15:21:39 RT-AC68U_WHITE kernel klogd: exiting
Mar 09 15:21:39 RT-AC68U_WHITE rc_service httpds 255:notify_rc restart_logger
Mar 09 15:21:39 RT-AC68U_WHITE custom_script Running /jffs/scripts/service-event (args: restart logger)
Mar 09 15:21:40 RT-AC68U_WHITE kernel klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2020-02-08 13:38:20 EST)
Mar 09 15:21:43 RT-AC68U_WHITE kernel klogd: exiting
Mar 09 15:33:38 RT-AC68U_WHITE kernel klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2020-02-08 13:38:20 EST)
Mar 09 15:33:39 RT-AC68U_WHITE kernel klogd: exiting

Then I uninstalled uiscribe, and I got back to the built-in UI with syslog server address. I clicked on APPLY at 15:21 klogd started...
As you can see, it stops after a few seconds. The link to the syslog server (papertrail) works, these logs are copied from its UI.
Each time I APPLY, it starts and exits.

Scribe installed, uiscribe uninstalled.
Scribe kills the built in loggger daemon. You would need to configure syslog-ng to forward logs to an external log server as the destination in a syslog-ng config file (see /opt/etc/syslog-ng.d/ for examples)

Scribe kills the built in loggger daemon. You would need to configure syslog-ng to forward logs to an external log server as the destination in a syslog-ng config file (see /opt/etc/syslog-ng.d/ for examples)
Thank you, I will dig into this and learn how to set it up correctly. As far as I understand, it is possible to send logs to external log server while running scribe and uiscribe in the same time.
By the way, I like this package and I find it very useful!

Hey y'all ... I'm getting reports of extremely high memory usage (~300 meg) for HND routers (AC86U, AC88U) ... I'm currently down to just my AC3200 which isn't seeing this, I get ~15K usage! Likely not unrelated, these reports are also seeing extremely high memory usage for pixelserv (~200 meg) while I'm only seeing 6K on my AC3200.

I'm not near smart enough to figure this out, is anyone seeing anything OTHER than the above? I.e. high syslog-ng and pixelserve memory usage on non-HND routers or low memory usage on HND routers?

Hey y'all ... I'm getting reports of extremely high memory usage (~300 meg) for HND routers (AC86U, AC88U) ... I'm currently down to just my AC3200 which isn't seeing this, I get ~15K usage! Likely not unrelated, these reports are also seeing extremely high memory usage for pixelserv (~200 meg) while I'm only seeing 6K on my AC3200.

I'm not near smart enough to figure this out, is anyone seeing anything OTHER than the above? I.e. high syslog-ng and pixelserve memory usage on non-HND routers or low memory usage on HND routers?

My AC5300 on Beta 1 is just fine - no adverse memory consumption - works fine - like it always has.

RT-AX88U

Code:
  PID  PPID USER     STAT   VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMAND
 3800  3799 hardcat  S     299m 33.9   0  0.0 syslog-ng
18793     1 nobody   S    66324  7.3   3  0.0 unbound -c /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf
28568     1 nobody   S    63340  7.0   0  0.0 pixelserv-tls 192.168.xxx.xxx -l 2

RT-AC86U and using 782m

2EE5EA91-260D-43EB-A16E-636835D2586B.jpeg

I might need a Linux memory 101...

For example for NextDNS: VIRT is 728M, but RES is only 9020 in htop.

(for syslog-ng: VIRT is 156m, RES is 5384)

8E853528-92E4-4EC8-8900-A57D439DD966.jpeg

86U: syslog-ng 155M, Pixelserv 51K
87U: syslog-ng 18K, pixelserv 9K

Here is my AC86U only one user online right now. :)

Screenshot-at-2020-03-15-06-38-29.png

The config is 16K of memory per line, and 256 lines, and if I multiply that by my 10 destinations (I think!) I end up with ~40MB of memory to be needed.
I went down this road too. I think most of us have around 10 or 12 destinations. That calculation gives you the total size of the output buffers the config sets up. In my case my 87U has exactly the same config as my 86U, but the latter uses 10,000 times more memory, more or less stable. So the cache the config sets up doesn't seem to be the issue.

There is also the receive buffer for the dgram portion of the src source, which is 64 messages per second or 64K in size. That doesn't seem to be it either.

Poking at this a little more, I added stats_level(2) to the config file of both routers, and then ran the stats. The output was roughly similar, except the 86U had these lines:
Code:
global;msg_allocated_bytes;;a;value;18446744073709550560
global;scratch_buffers_count;;a;queued;51539607552
The 87U didn't have those. I think the first is a running total of the size of all messages but that remains an unimaginable number. Not sure what the second is, but also unimaginably large.

Last edited:
I went down this road too. I think most of us have around 10 or 12 destinations. That calculation gives you the total size of the output buffers the config sets up. In my case my 87U has exactly the same config as my 86U, but the latter uses 10,000 times more memory, more or less stable. So the cache the config sets up doesn't seem to be the issue.

There is also the receive buffer for the dgram portion of the src source, which is 64 messages per second or 64K in size. That doesn't seem to be it either.

Poking at this a little more, I added stats_level(2) to the config file of both routers, and then ran the stats. The output was roughly similar, except the 86U had these lines:
Code:
global;msg_allocated_bytes;;a;value;18446744073709550560
global;scratch_buffers_count;;a;queued;51539607552
The 87U didn't have those. I think the first is a running total of the size of all messages but that remains an unimaginable number. Not sure what the second is, but also unimaginably large.
Are you able to get syslog-ng-ctl to work? It has tools for seeing memory usage, etc.

I get this error and am trying to figure out how to configure:
Code:
Error connecting control socket, socket='/opt/var/syslog-ng.ctl', error='Connection refused'

That file doesn't exist, or when it does it is empty.

--- edit ---

ok, if I kill and relaunch
Code:
syslog-ng --control /var/run/syslog-ng.ctl

now I can see stats like you
Code:
SourceName;SourceId;SourceInstance;State;Type;Number                                                                                                                           
destination;messages;;a;processed;0                                                                                                                                           
global;payload_reallocs;;a;processed;0                                                                                                                                         
source;s_lr_status;;a;processed;0                                                                                                                                             
global;scratch_buffers_bytes;;a;queued;0                                                                                                                                       
destination;d_skynet;;a;processed;44                                                                                                                                           
global;msg_clones;;a;processed;0                                                                                                                                               
source;s_lr_daily;;a;processed;0                                                                                                                                               
global;internal_queue_length;;a;processed;0                                                                                                                                   
global;sdata_updates;;a;processed;0                                                                                                                                           
destination;d_logrotate;;a;processed;0                                                                                                                                         
destination;d_spdmerlin;;a;processed;2                                                                                                                                         
destination;d_ntpd;;a;processed;0                                                                                                                                             
center;;received;a;processed;47                                                                                                                                               
destination;d_diversion;;a;processed;0                                                                                                                                         
source;s_ntpd;;a;processed;0                                                                                                                                                   
destination;d_syslogng;;a;processed;1                                                                                                                                         
destination;d_openvpn;;a;processed;0                                                                                                                                           
destination;dt_ntpd;;a;processed;0                                                                                                                                             
global;scratch_buffers_count;;a;queued;8589934592                                                                                                                             
center;;queued;a;processed;47                                                                                                                                                 
source;src;;a;processed;47                                                                                                                                                     
destination;d_wlceventd;;a;processed;0                                                                                                                                         
src.internal;src#2;;a;processed;1                                                                                                                                             
src.internal;src#2;;a;stamp;1584293686                                                                                                                                         
destination;d_unbound;;a;processed;0

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!